Train derailed near Soi 112

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: Train derailed near Soi 112

Post by HHTel »

Because we are all guilty of constantly berating the Thais for their stupidity on the roads so the same goes when 'we farangs' are guilty of stupidity, we deserve the same criticisms.
JamesWest
Ace
Ace

Post by JamesWest »

BLOW ME
I really like this forum because there are no personal attacks. All the members contribute in a positive way to my posts.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

JamesWest wrote:
HHTel wrote:"this is just a dirt path. not a road. you are not suppose to cross here at all. i tried to cross a few times on my scooter, but the rails are too high, only a truck with high ground clearance can make it over the rails."

There's a perfectly good crossing a stone's throw away. And here's me thinking it's the local Thais that are stupid. Seems I was wrong.
thanks for the insult. just out of curiosity, why do you thing you should be able to post something like this?
who the **** do you think you are?
James, calm down and read it again. HHTel is laughing at himself by saying even he tried it a couple of times despite there being a crossing just a spit away.

It's a Thailand thing - people lose their heads when they get on the back of a bike. Many of the Farangs riding a bike here, wouldn't be allowed to do so in their own country. Beware, and take it for what it is.

[Edit] I apologise James, it seems that I have misread HHTel's post :oops: . Because of his inability to use the Quote feature, his post read as if he was laughing at himself. I don't understand the reason for his unprovoked attack.

The fact is, there are as many Farangs as Thais who abuse the roads. I myself have had to adapt my driving skills to survive here in Thailand, and I often look back on some of my own maneuvers, and reflect upon the trouble it could have got me into in the UK. I think that I've adapted well, but some may disagree
:D .

We are now entering the silly season - give it another 4 or 5 weeks and you will encounter suicidal Farangs on every journey. Thais drive badly, but in the main are predictable. When the High Season cowboys arrive, they literally think it's the Wild West and no rules apply to them. Maybe HHTel sees himself as Hua Hin's Wyatt Erp :D :guns:
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
Thistle
Professional
Professional

Post by Thistle »

I ride a motor scooter and bicycle on a daily basis,and have regularly carried my push-bike over the tracks where the incident occurred.I would never consider attempting to maneuver a motor scooter over the train tracks at this location.So tend to agree with HHTel's initial comment,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,stupid!!!
Of course, within a couple of days the make shift barrier will be removed and the possibility of another topic of conversation on the forum will appear,lets hope its not about "fatalities owing to stupidity"
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

James I figure that this sort of thing happens approximately 5 times a year in, or near, Hua Hin.
Multiply that, by all the rail crossings across Thailand and you could spend a lifetime reporting on the problem. :wink:

As BB said, it is not just stupid Thais but also dumb farangs, that get wiped out, when they think they feel they are invincible and regularly chance their luck when crossing at both legal and illegal rail crossings.

Sooner or later, Darwin's theory comes into play and they become a statistic and a smear on the landscape.

No one should blame the train driver, I bet it is not the first time he has been in a similar situation and that he has had to go home, knowing that he could not have done anything about it. Car versus train, what are the odds.

:cheers:
I've lost my mind and I am making no effort to find it.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Try sitting at Soi 94 crossing (or I guess any crossing would be the same) when the barrier drops. I would guess on average, 5 people must risk their lives every time (12 is the most I've seen on a single occassion). You will see that nationality is no boundary to stupidness.

It would be interesting to know how many incidents a train driver could report from Bangkok to Surat Thani. I guess most of them get out of the way each time. How much time would be lost if he stopped for every idiot in his way. I guess he has to play the averages, and 9999 times out of 10000 the obstruction would move.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

Trains can't just slam on the brakes like cars do. It takes a significant amount of time to stop one of those monsters
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

It seems I've hit on a nerve with James. I said it as it was and anyone trying to jump over a railway line with a motorbike or a car when there is a perfectly good crossing is indeed stupid regardless of who they are. So I won't apologize for the comment. It shows that it's not only Thais that bring stupidity to the roads but others also. When a westerner does things such as this it's probably worse than the Thais as we as westerners should know better. Certainly back in our own countries, most of us wouldn't dream of acting as some do here in Thailand. We've all done stupid things from time to time but hopefully we learn from it.
Bluesky
Guru
Guru

Post by Bluesky »

Nice photographs and brief on the environment at the time James. Should have considered a career as a SOCO Forensic investigator. Irrespective of blame apportionment at the end of the day the resultant outcome was one truck rolled up like a ball, a wrinkled rail car, infrastructure damage and delays and change of underwear for some. But thankfully no tragic loss of life.
'Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way they ask for directions'. -Winston Churchill-
JamesWest
Ace
Ace

Post by JamesWest »

[Mod Edit: You have had your answer from the Moderation Team. Now you are out and out going against that. Please refer to the terms and conditions you signed up to. If you want to talk to any moderator about this action please do so using the PM service that this site offers.]
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by margaretcarnes »

usual suspect wrote:You would think someone at SRT would advise that all their trains be fitted with pointed/tapered 'cow-catchers' similar to the ones those locos used to have in the wild west films..just thinking of protecting the train from expensive damage when brainless s***s end up underneath the front end. Did the driver jump clear...THEN run away..??

Good to tell you've had your recent quota of UK time US! You really believe that paying for cow catchers to avoid 'expensive damage' figures in the Thai pyschi? :tsk:
A sprout is for life - not just for Christmas.