CNN 8:30 a.m. --Tanks rolling into BKK

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
HansMartin
Professional
Professional

CNN 8:30 a.m. --Tanks rolling into BKK

Post by HansMartin »

WTF, and we leave for LOS in 5 hours.

A coup, but unknown if it is pro or anti-Taksin. This should make for an intersting month.

Taksin declares state of emergency.
Jim
Guru
Guru

Post by Jim »

from the BBC:

Tanks appear in Bangkok - reports

Tanks have taken up position around the Thai government headquarters in Bangkok blocking traffic, eyewitnesses have told Reuters news agency.
An army-owned TV station has altered its programming to broadcast images of the royal family and songs associated in the past with military coups.

More soon.
ดวงขึ้น
จิม
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I had no idea until I read your post. At the moment Thai radio is playing patriotic tunes and all Thai TV channels are showing the King and old scenes from his travels. CNN interrupted the UN debates to break the news. Thaksin is in NY, at the UN. Unknown now if he initiated this or, others did to overthrow him in his absence. Stay tuned but you on the outside of here will learn more than we do here given the apparent news blackout. Let us know what you learn...please. :( Pete
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Double post.
HansMartin
Professional
Professional

Post by HansMartin »

Taksin is in NYC to address the UN Genral Assembly. He is still planning to make his speech to the UN, and will leave early for BKK. Of course, he may be ousted before his speech. Still unclear who initiated this. CNN says they are 10 tanks into BKK.

:guns:
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra declared a state of emergency in Bangkok on Wednesday shortly after Reuters witnesses saw tanks surrounding Government House.

"I declare Bangkok under a severe state of emergency," he said in a voice broadcast on Thai television.

Thaksin, who is in New York at a United Nations summit, ordered troops not to "move illegally".
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Same problem-double post.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

BBC just reported that the Army Commander Sondhi (sp) is now in control of Government House, with his (the) army. This apparently was not initiated by Thaskin, but against Thaskin. Pete
SuperTonic
Suspended
Suspended

Post by SuperTonic »

What's the likely effect do you think guys? For farangs in particular, as I'm thinking of moving to Thailand in May.
HansMartin
Professional
Professional

Post by HansMartin »

Bangkok Post reporter on Fox News

Army has surrounded PM house, military to make announcement shortly. Taksin to make his speech later today in evening. UN Speaking schedule upset by events in BKK.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

SuperTonic wrote:What's the likely effect do you think guys? For farangs in particular, as I'm thinking of moving to Thailand in May.
You REALLY need to wait a day or two for that answer ST, it's all just happening to us here at this moment. The last two coups caused considerable blood shed and death, not for farangs though, except one reporter that I know of. It's 2300 hours here, dawn will shed more light on all and I hope we don't see chaos. :cheers: Pete
HansMartin
Professional
Professional

Post by HansMartin »

CNN now has live TV from BKK. Tanks and Humvees on the street. Deputy PM says military is attempting coup.

Military orders Police to lay down arms.

Thai on street taking pictures with phone-cams
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

CNN now showing military taking up positions in central Bangkok, no signs of violence.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Tanks surrounded Thailand's Government House on Tuesday and Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra declared a state of emergency in Bangkok amid signs of the first attempted coup in the southeast Asian nation in 15 years.

"I declare Bangkok under a severe state of emergency," Thaksin said in a voice broadcast on Thai television.

Thaksin, in New York at a United Nations summit, ordered troops not to "move illegally", and told armed forces chiefs to report to acting Prime Minister Chidchai Vanasatidya.

At least 20 soldiers entered the Government House building, according to reporters inside.

Army television broadcast images of the royal family and songs associated in the past with military coups.

Government officials said Thaksin, in the middle of a political crisis fomented by a street campaign against him, planned to return from New York early on Thursday, a day earlier than originally scheduled.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Hans, IMHO, don't cancel you're trip. You are going to arrive in very exciting times and I would say not dangerous by the time you get here. This appears to be well planned and if police lay down arms, it's over.

Update: Spouse just walked in and told me the King has instructed the top three military leaders to "take care of the country"...if that statement is correct, it's really all over already, if he gave his endorsement. Stay tuned. Pete