Gastro Pubs

This is the free for all area, live and unleashed, say what you like!
PeteC

Gastro Pubs

Post by PeteC »

Saw something I didn't know on DW Euromax today. Many old English pubs are now turning into the above, serving food and doubling and tripling their business. Seems to be the craze in London especially.

I see it here in Thailand also, many Brit owned bars have begun serving food as well.

Anyway, they quoted the number of pubs remaining in England that are not gastro pubs, any guesses? I'm sure their number was approximate but close. :cheers: Pete
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Its been going for a while, Pete.
As far back as 15 odd years ago, pubs were offering food of all descriptions at lunchtime. Thai "mini restaurants" were springing up all over the place.
A big reason for this was that companies finally realised it wasnt worth paying their staff to get drunk at lunchtimes.
The brewers also realised that they could charge me more for a pint of orange juice and lemonade than a pint of beer.
Clever, arent they? :cheers: But it took the fun out of working in the afternoons.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Interesting. The way they presented it today made you think it was some kind of new and growing phenomena. Maybe DW is showing old re-run shows...LOL.

They did a piece on a place named George House which they said is one of the few buildings that survived the great London fire. Looked like 3 or 4 story and tucked away on a small side street in London. Apparently the downstairs floor has been a pub forever and they indicated that they have now gone "gastro". Pete :cheers:
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

The pubs all need to, these days. I suppose what I was saying earlier is that food has always been a mainstay of a pubs business. In central London, the day-time trade is significant. And its not through booze - anymore. Even 20 odd years ago, when I was working on Fleet Street, most of the pubs closed at 9pm because everyone had gone home. At weekends, it was a ghost town, other than the tourists.
The standard of food is another question, so I assume youre talking about "decent grub"? If so, thats another matter.
PeteB
Professional
Professional

Post by PeteB »

Pete - Hi
They did a piece on a place named George House which they said is one of the few buildings that survived the great London fire. Looked like 3 or 4 story and tucked away on a small side street in London. Apparently the downstairs floor has been a pub forever and they indicated that they have now gone "gastro"
Worked in the City near Pudding Lane most of my life (around the site of the fire) - cannot place "George House" though - perhaps someone else can help

If you mean the George Inn (South of the river), it is a trendy, tourist place - to me no atmosphere and totally 'manufactured - not really 'gastro'

http://www.viewlondon.co.uk/review_1961.html

Peter
If a Yorkshireman puts his hand in his pocket - fret not!
He'll just be checking his ferret.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I think you're right PB, George Inn, not George House. Before this thread dies of indigestion...LOL, quoted number of non-gastro pubs remaining in England is 60,000. :cheers: Pete
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

I used to drink regularly at The George Inn. Old offices were based at the London Bridge end of Southwark Street. It was also easy to walk to from my home at weekends.
I agree with PeteB, it's certainly touristy, but it did good beer and the nurses from Guys hospital were always good fun at weekends.
Never did eat there, though. Pub grub downstairs and restaurant upstairs.
hollygolightly1

Post by hollygolightly1 »

Did you ever eat in the Cheshire Cheese on Fleet Street? That did good grub though the guy was bad tempered if you laughed at Polly, the stuffed parrot...
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

hollygolightly1 wrote:Did you ever eat in the Cheshire Cheese on Fleet Street? That did good grub though the guy was bad tempered if you laughed at Polly, the stuffed parrot...
No, just imbibed copious amount of beer. When I was on Fleet Street, there was a canteen serving heavily discounted meals, so it was always in there at lunchtime, scoff something and then out for a few beers.
The pressure generally got so intense in the afternoons that most felt it necessary to get some Dutch courage in whenever possible. Heard the food was good though.