Scotland's new ban on swords to beat crime

This is the free for all area, live and unleashed, say what you like!
PeteC

Scotland's new ban on swords to beat crime

Post by PeteC »

Not regional news therefore I post here. As a friend said, what is next? Automobiles and golf clubs, as cars and murder with blunt instruments cause more deaths yearly than knives or guns. Another case I'm afraid of inability to punish the criminal therefore, ban everything! Pete

The measures will form the final part of the Scottish Executive's plan to combat Scotland's knife culture.

The tough new steps will be detailed by Justice Minister Cathy Jamieson in a visit to Glasgow's London Road police station on Monday.

The sale of swords will be banned, except for rigidly defined purposes such as religious reasons.

Dealers who sell the items will also be subject to rigorous licensing conditions.

There are also to be stricter controls placed on shops selling non-domestic knives for pursuits such as hunting and fishing, but which can also be used to deadly effect on the streets.

The measures, which will be included in legislation to be passed before the end of this Scottish Parliament sitting, follow a five-week long knives amnesty which saw more than 12,000 weapons handed in.

The lord advocate has also announced a "get tough" policy with those found to be carrying knives.

Offenders will be held in custody until they come to court and prosecutors will attempt to get maximum sentences.
JD
Legend
Legend

Post by JD »

I guess that may also mean the end of traditional Scottish Highland Dancing.

There are also many 'riding out' traditions that also require sword carrying. If I'm correct these 'riding out' are required by law, for the setting of boundaries. Perhaps such practices would be one of the rigidly defined purposes. Let's hope so, too much of Scottish and English heritage has been taken away already.
Per Angusta In Augusta.
-----------------------------------------------
http://www.facebook.com/huahinhamandbacon
www.hamandbacon.co.th
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

For everyone's FYI, the above is on the BBC website today, not some obscure source. Pete