Bluetooth speaker recommendations

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
buksida

Bluetooth speaker recommendations

Post by buksida »

In the market for a good-sounding bluetooth speaker.

skullcandy.jpg
skullcandy.jpg (68.59 KiB) Viewed 480 times

Currently have this Skullcandy from the UK but you cant buy them here. This little badboy has been superb, has great sound and it'll play for 5-6 hours, but it is a few years old and I'm looking to upgrade.

Been looking at the Marshall Kilburn II, don't want anything too big or cumbersome, but it has to have a good battery and sound. Does anyone have one? They range wildly in prices on Laz so I suspect there are a lot of Chinese copies floating about on there.

Any other recommendations? Bose? Sherman? Budget about 5-6K.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Re: Bluetooth speaker recommendations

Post by handdrummer »

If you can, go to a store and listen to speakers. Take your own music. Buy the one that you like. Keep in mind Marshall makes guitar amps and their speakers are aimed at R&R listeners. Bose is generally light on bass. If you're happy with Skullcandy you'll probably like the Marshall. The Apple store in Market Village has Marshalls and a couple of others. I don't know if they're open at the moment. An alternative would be to read some reviews of those types of speakers. Sound is in the ear of the hearer.
buksida

Post by buksida »

handdrummer wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:24 pm If you can, go to a store and listen to speakers. Take your own music. Buy the one that you like.
Not really practical under the current circumstances - I live 6 hours away from any high-end music stores!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
huahin4ever
Ace
Ace

Post by huahin4ever »

It all depends how big you want it i.e. more stationary or you're looking for a portable one?

I'm very pleased with B&O A1 2nd Gen https://www.bang-olufsen.com/en/us/speakers/beosound-a1

Very good sound for it's size, but it's small. what I like is the sound, size and that it is dust and waterproof. Nice for taking it outside and to the beach.
YNWA
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

huahin4ever wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:46 pm It all depends how big you want it i.e. more stationary or you're looking for a portable one?

I'm very pleased with B&O A1 2nd Gen https://www.bang-olufsen.com/en/us/speakers/beosound-a1

Very good sound for it's size, but it's small. what I like is the sound, size and that it is dust and waterproof. Nice for taking it outside and to the beach.
B&O make high quality speakers and headphones. If they're available in Thailand, they'd cost over 8000Bht.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

You can say that again! There's speakers on that web site for over 16,000 USD, and a TV for over 17. :shock: Deep pocket place.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
buksida

Post by buksida »

Bigger than the Skullcandy, smaller than something AC/DC would use!

Don't think you can get B&O in Thailand anyway, and the prices are way beyond budget so Marshall is still the leading horse ... Will have to search carefully to avoid all the fake shit Lazada is pedaling.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

buksida wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:05 am Bigger than the Skullcandy, smaller than something AC/DC would use!

Don't think you can get B&O in Thailand anyway, and the prices are way beyond budget so Marshall is still the leading horse ... Will have to search carefully to avoid all the fake shit Lazada is pedaling.
JBL have a good reputation but no idea whether this is genuine or a cheap copy?
https://s.lazada.co.th/s.eD4Jd
buksida

Post by buksida »

I know two people that bought JBLs here, and both had to send them for repair within a year so would imagine they're copies.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Dannie Boy wrote:
buksida wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:05 am Bigger than the Skullcandy, smaller than something AC/DC would use!

JBL have a good reputation but no idea whether this is genuine or a cheap copy?
https://s.lazada.co.th/s.eD4Jd
Fake at that price. Fake at the supposed original price.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

buksida wrote:I know two people that bought JBLs here, and both had to send them for repair within a year so would imagine they're copies.
I bought a genuine portable JBL from a reputable store. Excellent sound, but had to take it back inside a year. Replaced with a new one. Battery failed in just 2 years. The batteries are extremely difficult to replace. I bought a cheaper Creative to replace it. Already lasted longer, although sound not as good - but I can't tell a high c from a low d anyway.

Many reputable companies have their own official stores on Lazada or shopee. Buy from them rather than trying to save a few hundred baht.

PeteC

Post by PeteC »

The only one that the Thai on-line Apple Store is offering at the moment is the Beats Pill. Link below.

https://www.apple.com/th-en/shop/produc ... 60c46b5b79
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
buksida

Post by buksida »

That's three no gos on JBL then.

Additionally, I wouldn't go near Apple even if it was free. It'll force me to install that evil iTunes software that will devour my music collection and dictate what I can and can't listen to. :guns:

This is leading the way at the moment - but prices on Laz range from 500 baht to over 15K for the same thing (clearly not) ... so need to be careful.

marshall.jpg
marshall.jpg (113.48 KiB) Viewed 275 times
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

If that's the Kilburn II it's 9,900 in the Marshall flagship store on Lazada.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Yep, also seen it for 8,600 at the "Marshall store" on Laz, and 4,950, and 7,689, and 11,300, ... and ...