Songkran 2021 Road Accidents

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
PeteC

Songkran 2021 Road Accidents

Post by PeteC »

25 killed, 356 injured on first day of Songkran road safety campaign

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... y-campaign

Twenty-five people were killed and 356 injured in 348 road accidents which occurred throughout the country on Saturday, the first day of the government's campaign for Songkran road safety, Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department director-general Boontham Lertsukhikasem said on Sunday.

If the number is accurate, that is considerably lower than the average daily death toll on Thailand's roads throughout the year.

According to Mr Boontham, speeding was to blame for 31.61% of the accidents, followed by drink-driving (22.99%) and sudden lane-switching (20.40%).

Most -- 82.91% -- of the accidents involved motorcycles, while 7.56% were pick-ups and 3.92% cars.

Regarding the time of day of the accidents, 27.87% occurred during 4.01pm-8.00pm; 19.83% during 8.01am-12.00pm; and 16.95% during 12.01pm-4.00pm.

Phatthalung province in the South recorded the highest number of accidents, 20, with 22 people injured.

Bangkok, Chon Buri and Chiang Mai each registered two deaths from road accidents.

Throughout the country, there are 1,913 main checkpoints manned by a total of 60,201 officials. A total of 342,028 vehicles were stopped for a check and 58,347 of drivers cited for various offences, including 14,852 for not wearing safety helmets and 16,125 for driving without a licence.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Re: Songkran 2021 Road Accidents

Post by Big Boy »

One thing I haven't seen this year are the little roadside help and rest areas. Admittedly, I'm not travelling far, but there are 2 regular help and rest areas that I should be seeing, conspicuous by their absence.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Probably fearful that they can't control social distancing at the facilities. Damned if you do and damned if you don't.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Big Boy wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:05 pm One thing I haven't seen this year are the little roadside help and rest areas. Admittedly, I'm not travelling far, but there are 2 regular help and rest areas that I should be seeing, conspicuous by their absence.
Maybe because many police have been tested positive and in hospital and the remainder are working from home!!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

HHTel wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:34 pm Maybe because many police have been tested positive and in hospital and the remainder are working from home!!
I must say, I've never really taken much notice, but are they manned by police? I've noticed ambulance drivers, nurses and soldiers, but never police. I normally glance at the nurses and free bottles of water :oops:

Points 51; Position 21
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

30 killed, 374 injured on second day of Songkran travel campaign

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... l-campaign

Thirty people were killed and 374 injured in 357 road accidents throughout the country on April 11, the second day of the Songkran road safety campaign, deputy permanent secretary for the interior Ansit Samphantharat said on Monday.

The figures raised the death toll to 56 and the injured to 729 from a total of 705 accidents on April 10-11, the first two days of the campaign, said Mr Ansit, who is chairman of a sub-committee for prevention and reduction of road accidents.

Speeding caused 34.45% of Sunday's accidents, followed by drink-driving at 24.37%.

Motorcycles were involved in 87.12% of the accidents.

Most of the accidents, 26.89%, occurred between 4pm and 8pm.

Nakhon Si Thammmarat in the South and Roi-et in the Northeast recorded the highest number of accidents -- 16 each.

The provinces with the highest number of deaths -- 3 each -- were Trang and Samut Prakan.

Nakhon Si Thammarat registered the highest number injuries, 20.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

These numbers sound extremely low.

Points 51; Position 21
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Maybe they're trying to create some good news as there's very little of that of late.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Below are the numbers from 2019 as comparison. I don't think there was anything to keep track of for Songkran 2020, at least I can't find a thread.

phpJu2yI4AM.jpg
phpJu2yI4AM.jpg (69.18 KiB) Viewed 354 times
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Big Boy wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:47 pm These numbers sound extremely low.
I don't think there are many people traveling, or at least far, regardless of the empty Bangkok streets shown on Khaosod FB today.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

This contradicts what I just said, but I still feel the volume is much less than previous years. Below is the article link and I'm assuming it's a misprint that ..."drivers must wear masks at all times".... They are insane if they are trying to enforce that, and what bloody for?! Right before the article says that, it also says many drivers are sleeping in their cars, hopefully with the mandatory mask on as well! :shock: :laugh:

https://thairesidents.com/local/traffic ... an-holiday
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

54 killed, 373 injured on third day of Songkran holidays

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... n-holidays

Fifty-four people died and 373 were injured in 388 road accidents across the country on Monday, the third day of the Songkran road safety campaign, deputy permanent secretary for the interior Ansit Sampantarat said on Tuesday.

Mr Ansit, as chairman of the Interior Ministry's sub-committee on the prevention and reduction of road accidents, said the figures raised the three-day (April 10-12) death toll to 110 and the accumulated injuries to 1,099 from a total of 1,090 accidents.

On Monday, speeding caused 30.15% of the accidents, followed by drink-driving with 28.35%.

Motorcycles were involved in 87.13% of the accidents.

About 30% of the accidents occurred between 4pm and 8pm.

The highest number of accidents - 22 - was recorded in the southern province of Nakhon Si Thammarat, which also had the highest number of injuries - 21.

Sakon Nakhon and Suphan Buri recorded the highest number of deaths, 4 each.

There were 1,896 main checkpoints manned by 59,079 officials across the country. A total of 343,703 vehicles were stopped for a check and 65,929 drivers were charged with various legal offences - including 18, 210 for driving without a licence and 16,553 for not wearing a safety helmet.
GroveHillWanderer
Guru
Guru

Post by GroveHillWanderer »

The thing that always stands out to me in all the accident statistics I see for Thailand, whether it be for Songkran or overall, is the fact that motorbikes are always involved in around 90% (or more) of accidents.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

GroveHillWanderer wrote:The thing that always stands out to me in all the accident statistics I see for Thailand, whether it be for Songkran or overall, is the fact that motorbikes are always involved in around 90% (or more) of accidents.
Yes, but possibly motorbikes that have been rammed off the road by a pickup!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Having been the victim of several motorcycles driving into me, I would heavily dispute that. Fortunately there have been no fatalities. Every time, I have involved the police, and the motorcyclist has been judged at fault. The last one (I still have the video), the guy was carrying a dog and was watching something on the side of the road. He didn't have a clue there was 2 tonnes of Ford Ranger in front of him (the dog was unharmed).

I think 10 minutes stood by a busy roadside observing motorcyclists will explain everything.

Points 51; Position 21