Under the quivering doily, arf she said!

This is the free for all area, live and unleashed, say what you like!
PeteC

Under the quivering doily, arf she said!

Post by PeteC »

Randy, I've wanted to ask for months what this means? Either it involves a woman or a dog?...LOL. Pete :D
johnrxx99

Post by johnrxx99 »

You mean Evelyn the modified dog, suspect it involves both.

Sheik Yerbouti.
Thai me to the moon
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Reckon he's trying to be highbrow or poetic.
I've heard that before, but can't remember where it came from.
DawnHRD
Legend
Legend

Post by DawnHRD »

"Highbrow" & "poetic" aren't the 2 words I'd use for that signature, but I'd love to know what it's about, also! :? Always interesting to get a signature you have absolutely no idea about. Like the latin ones, I get Seize the day & the old I came, I saw, I conquered, but I didn't do Latin in school. I went to a comprehensive. Can we do translations? Please? :thumb:
"The question is not, can they reason? Nor, can they talk? But, can they suffer?" - Jeremy Bentham, philosopher, 1748-1832

Make a dog's life better, today!
Randy Cornhole
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Randy Cornhole »

Correct Johnrxx99 it is in fact a Zappa lyric from Evelin the modified dog. Well done. I'm a big Zappa fan 'Apostrophe being my bestest album.
www.35mmview.com
johnrxx99

Post by johnrxx99 »

And the album is called Sheik Yerbouti, a brilliant double from 1987 I think.

Rock on.

Randy, interesting nome de plumbe as well.
Thai me to the moon
Jaime
Legend
Legend

Post by Jaime »

I think it is from the album One Size Fits All, which I don't have but I do have Sheik Yerbouti and it's not on that.

My personal fave Zappa album is also Apostrophe, along with Overnight Sensation and Joe's Garage but Zappa's body of work is just so amazingly diverse that I couldn't honestly say I like all of his stuff. Went to see him sometime in the late 80's at the NEC in Birmingham and he was great though. Set and band line up was similar to the video 'Does Humour Belong in Music?' if anyone has seen that.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Zappa?
Told you it would be wierd :thumb:
Randy Cornhole
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Randy Cornhole »

Evelyn a modified dog is indeed off 'One size fits all'
Jamie I'm jealous I never saw the great man but would have loved to.
Does 'Humour belong in music' was great, the vocal talents of Bobby Martin on 'Whipping post are excellent. Just too much to discuss here as the man's talents were so vast but not to everyone's taste.
www.35mmview.com
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Frank Zappa? That shows my ignorance of music, I would have guessed The Wurzels!
Gutte

Post by Gutte »

Please allow me to do some worthless childish bragging here.
I saw Zappa quite a few times and also interviewed him once (not an easy one). I used to be a rock journalist in one of the Swedish dailys in the 80's.
And two years ago I was invited to the Polar Prize ceremonies and gala dinner in Stockholm when B.B. King was awarded the Polar Prize (The Polar Prize was founded by the man who made, and made a fortune off, ABBA. Among the winners through the years are Springsteen, McCartney, Zappa, Dylan, Joni Mitchell, Burt Bacharach, Miriam Makeba (!) and this year Led Zeppelin.)
Anyway - who did I get the honour to have on my right side at the gala dinner? Yes, that's right - Zappa's widowed wife! And who did I have on my left side? Yes, that's right - his daughter!
Oh how I wished I had been a Zappa expert that evening. I know too little about the man, but that wasn't really a problem because his ladies were interested in mostly everything and talking was easy and the evening nice.
Guess
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Guess »

The Lyrics of the original version.

Evelyn, a modified dog
Viewed the quivering fringe of a special doily
Draped across the piano, with some surprise

In the darkened room
Where the chairs dismayed
And the horrible curtains
Muffled the rain
She could hardly believe her eyes

A curious breeze
A garlic breath
Which sounded like a snore
Somewhere near the Steinway (or even from within)
Had caused the doily fringe to waft & tremble in the gloom

Evelyn, a dog, having undergone
Further modification
Pondered the significance of short-person behavior
In pedal-depressed panchromatic resonance
And other highly ambient domains...

Arf she said

It was indeed first recorded at the Paramount studios in the early seventies (1974 I think) for the album "One size fits all". It was a very short track and many thought it was just a prequel to the following track.

Sheik Yerbouti was a double live album containing many songs from the time of the formation of The Mothers of Invention. One of the tracks was the Sheik Yerbouti Tango that incuded bits of other tracks.

I am not sure if Evelyn was in that or not.

I did see Zappa in the late 70s at Hammersmith Odeon wher parts of Sheik Yerbouti were recorded. Not 100% though that it was the same concert. I think he mad more than one appearance in London around that time.
[color=blue][size=134]Care in the community success story.[/size][/color]
johnrxx99

Post by johnrxx99 »

Head held in shame and I must check the bogging record next time.

However, I am very gratified to see that it did flush out a few fans. Saw him a couple of times at Wembley and an open air concert somewhere but I think those brain cells have deserted. I save tickets of old giggs but some got away.

My favourite, not with Mothers I'm affraid, is Hot Rats - Anderson at his best as well imo.
Thai me to the moon
Randy Cornhole
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Randy Cornhole »

Far away (UK) sits my trusty Linn lp12 turntable along with my collection of Zappa vinyl, think I have about 35 very good condition UK 1st issues. I feel like playing a few right now. Maby 'Ruben and the jets' or 'Apostrophe' or 'Overnight sensation' AAaarrrgghhh.
Oh hum it will have to wait until i go home next year for a couple of months :(
www.35mmview.com
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Randy Cornhole wrote:Far away (UK) sits my trusty Linn lp12 turntable along with my collection of Zappa vinyl, think I have about 35 very good condition UK 1st issues. I feel like playing a few right now. Maby 'Ruben and the jets' or 'Apostrophe' or 'Overnight sensation' AAaarrrgghhh.
Oh hum it will have to wait until i go home next year for a couple of months :(
BK may need to answer this one as I'm no expert , but isn't there a way to download just about every song ever published onto an Ipod or, burn onto a CD with your computer, or simply store/play on your computer? Would be a remedy when musical urges hit and the originals are back home. Pete