Guitar Setup

Questions for the residents, services, suppliers, shops and businesses, get quick answers from the people that live here.
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Guitar Setup

Post by Pleng »

I am going to have to bring my guitar over by unbolting the neck , wrapping it up carefully, and putting it in my checked luggage.

That being the case, when I arrive in Thailand I'm going to have the guitar professionally set up. Does anybody know where I can fin a professional in this area, preferably in or close to Hua Hin?
ste860
Deceased
Deceased

Re: Guitar Setup

Post by ste860 »

yesterday i noticed a small shop that repairs and rents out music instruments ,it was in the row of shops at the traffic lights near the palace , as you turn down soi 19 opposite the palace on petchakasem road
Randy Cornhole
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Randy Cornhole »

I'd try just bolting it back on and see how it turns out. You might find its ok.

You will find that strings go off quite quick due to the humidity. I brought some nice coated ones from the UK to combat the sweat (finger poo) problems. Wipe them with a cloth after each play.
www.35mmview.com
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

Yea I might get lucky and it might be ok. I'd like to be prepared in case it isn't though! :)
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

Randy Cornhole wrote:I'd try just bolting it back on and see how it turns out. You might find its ok.
Didn't turn out OK at all. Unplayable at the moment :(

I will follow up the lead in this thread but this post is pretty much a shameless bump... I'd really like some recommendations of people who are known to be able to do the job. This being Thailand I fear the 'dai dai, no problem' followed by the neck being twisted beyond repair!

Any recommendations, even if it means traveling to bkk to get sorted, are welcome!
matthewnoel

Post by matthewnoel »

theres a guitar shop up the palu rd,just passed tesco express,it looks ok,but i dont know,must be worth a look. good luck.
caducus

Post by caducus »

I would ask any musician playing regularly in Hua Hin if they could recommend anywhere in town. If not you might have to come to Bangkok. I had a good set-up job at Alicia Guitars -367/1, Soi 11, Rama 9. 02 716 9186 - 02 716 8806. This place is not so easy to find and is a few kilometres out from the centre of town. If you are driving to Bangkok from Hua Hin, a place on the next but top floor of Central Rama 3 would be more convenient. I have never used him, but have heard good reports.
offshoreadvice
Rookie
Rookie

Post by offshoreadvice »

If anyone need any guitars set up (Acoustic, electric or Bass) ie tuning... intonation or general minor repairs done etc give me a call. Would be good if you have the basic tools, L-key's, screw drivers etc.

I have 15 yrs Musical Instruments retail experience and I'm also a sem- pro musician. You can see me at: http://www.spectorbass.com/artists/byname/_name_d.html (Daniel van Niekerk)

Kao Thao up to Hauhin areas.

Cheerio,
Dan
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

I have screwdrivers but no allen keys
bozzman101
Guru
Guru

Post by bozzman101 »

Dan be carefull the imo dept read this site work is work even free!!!!!!!!!!! and a friendy farang without a work permit is easy pickings !!!!!!!!!!choke dee na
Once you go Asian you will never go Caucasian !!
bozzman101
Guru
Guru

Post by bozzman101 »

the palau shop the guy there ia mr bong !!! a nice guy he can do very very basic stuff think dan is your man but pm him a much better les obious contact should suffice !!! you know where im comin from!!!!
Once you go Asian you will never go Caucasian !!
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

OK, so far no luck.

I haven't made it to the Pala U shop or the one near the palace on soi 19. Will have to try and look them up soon.

I went to the new sparkly music shop just before the Pranburi flyover, no luck there. I went to the Yamaha shop in Market Village and the guy there said "I don't know. You can bring it and I can look but I don't know", so I don't fancy taking my chances there!
PBbeacher
Professional
Professional

Post by PBbeacher »

I just got my Ibanez AE back from Lek Bass. I thought the neck was done for, but he fixed it right up and only charged me 200B!! (Well, 400 including a brand new set of D'Addario strings), absolutely well chuffed!

His shop is on the road by the crazy railway crossing, go past Tuk accounting and Tira Tiraa condo on your right, you'll see his shop on the same side a few hundred metres down. Can PM his number if anyone needs it, or you can catch him playing bass at Cantaloupe Island.