Hua Hin floods/situation

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
sheffielder68
Rookie
Rookie

Hua Hin floods/situation

Post by sheffielder68 »

Hi all.

I have seen a post earlier regarding the floods but alas I can't locate it. I have been watching the news recently and the floods in Thailand are very concerning. I have booked to go to Hong Kong on 11 Nov from London, then Bangkok on 15th and then down to Hua Hin on the 18th. Needless to say, I feel my holiday could be in tatters now. I will be staying at the Sheraton, this is a holiday of a lifetime for us, we have saved for three years solid for it, and feel it could be ruined for reasons out of our control.

How will Hua Hin be during these times? I know it may be a month or so more in Bangkok, but with all the water they are pumping out there, the quality of the sea will probably not be great. Should I cancel and go to somewhere else in Thailand or will things be ok?

I hope everyone who has been affected are ok at the moment.

Andy
moja
Guru
Guru

Re: Hua Hin floods

Post by moja »

there are no floods here and with the dry season approaching so I am sure you will be fine.
traveller2
Professional
Professional

Post by traveller2 »

Hi Sheffielder, nice to hear from someone close to us.

For information on floods try this post, its updated regularly and covers a lot of Thailand.

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=19058

I hope you enjoy your holiday, im envious. ;)
wysiwyg (what you see is what you get)
sheffielder68
Rookie
Rookie

Post by sheffielder68 »

That sounds encouraging. I am seeing if we can avoid Bangkok then and maybe stay in Hong Kong or even Macau for a bit longer - although flights are booked so we will have to see. Will the sea be clear and clean though? With evertything being pumped down from Bangkok, we would like to do some local snorkelling.

Traveller2, although I am from Sheffield, I have lived in London for four years. But as they say, you can take the boy out of Sheffield, but you can't take the Sheffield from the boy!
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

I'll leave it to buksida who's our sub aqua expert but I doubt you'll see anything by snorkel in HH. In fact, I doubt you'll be able to see the bottom of the sea from 30 meters out - and it'll only be about waist height there anyway.
Koh Kalu seems to be the closest place and that's about 2-3 hours south of here.
Sorry, but wait for the experts.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I don't know how the travel brochures promote Hua Hin, but it has never been known for clear, pristine water at least for the last 30 years or so. Even in normal years with no northern floods the coastal water is not snorkeling quality. I don't think you'll have any problems in central Bangkok come November. Keep looking at www.bangkokpost.com front page each day as you'll see updates concerning the flooding, with maps of areas affected in the city. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Yes, no snorkeling in or around Hua Hin anytime. The water is never clear and there is no coral; only sand and mud bottom. You'll have to go a couple of hours south for that. Other than snorkeling Hua Hin will be fine for your holiday in November. There are lots of other activities for the whole family.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by margaretcarnes »

Hi local lad! Welcome. I agree with the others - by mid November you should be fine. HuaHun rarely gets flooding as bad as some other areas - last year the worst flooding was way down south and during the whole of October and November HH just had the usual short sharp storms we expect this time of year.
Bangkok is rarely affected so badly either. I know the PM is predicting it to go on for another 4 to 6 weeks but really how would she know? Been talking to a Banyan tree or something? Bah Humbug (hopefully...)
In any case Loi Krathon festival falls on the first full moon in November and then the rains officially stop! (Also if you are in Thailand then it's a festival not to be missed.)
I'll be arriving Bangkok at the end of November this year and have no worries at all, but if it does by any chance still have problems when you arrive just get a taxi straight to HuaHin. I'm sure all will be fine and really wouldn't try to change flights at this stage.
A sprout is for life - not just for Christmas.
sheffielder68
Rookie
Rookie

Post by sheffielder68 »

Thank you for the comments, really appreciate it. I think we are still definately hoping to get to Hong Kong and Hua Hin but may change Bangkok for maybe Macau or something else. What dates are the Loi Krathon festival and where and when does it happen? We definately don't want to cancel, Bangkok is our only concern, especially with disintery from the water, but Hua Hin is one of the areas I have been wanting to go for a long time due to the amount of things you can do in the region compared to other Thai beach resorts.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Loy Krathong this year falls on the 10th November and if you click on the "Tourist Guide" section of the main Expat Hua Hin front page, you will be able to find details about the festival.
Gus
Guru
Guru

Post by Gus »

Chiang Mai is a wonderful place to see the Loy Krathong celebrations.

The Island of Koh Tao near to Ko Samui is great for snorkelling, you can get there easily from Hua Hin, however I think the water swells can be hit and miss this side of Christmas.
sheffielder68
Rookie
Rookie

Post by sheffielder68 »

How do I get to Ko Samui from Hua Hin? The island looks to be a long way off!
PJG
Professional
Professional

Post by PJG »

Hua Hin to Ko Samui is about 5 hrs drive plus a ferry ride. Needs a few days excursion. The nearest area to Hua Hin for snorkelling/diving are the islands off Bang Saphan about 2 hours drive from Hua Hin.
sheffielder68
Rookie
Rookie

Post by sheffielder68 »

Cheers PJG, thought as much, I am thinking of avoiding Bangkok altogether but don't want to stay in Hua Hin. If perhaps we could fly to Koh Samui and then work our way up, that could be ideal. Shame, we have booked 8 nights in Hua Hin and would like to maximise our time there. I really need to speak to my travel agent (if he ever returns my calls!) to seek advice on the Bangkok part! How much would a mini bus or train be from Koh Samui (or the nearest place on land!) be does anyone know?
scottylondon
Novice
Novice

Bangkok to Hua Hin - floods??

Post by scottylondon »

Hi all.
I am due to land at Bangkok on Nov 1st and then travel to Hua Hin for 2 weeks.
Does anyone know if the route to Hua Hin has been impacted by the floods? and if Hua Hin is likley to be hit by the floods at all?

I am to say the least getting very worried that my dream trip will nit happen due tot he fllods.

Thanks for any help

Regards

Scotty