Political un-rest and rally

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
Irish Kev
Amateur
Amateur

Political un-rest and rally

Post by Irish Kev »

Can anyone shed any light on the intented rally or un-rest that is due to take place in Bangkok this up-coimng weekend.
My wife and son fly into Bangkok from Sydney on Sunday 21st.
Just wanting to make sure the rally is not planned to be as big an upheaval as the last one when they shut the airport down.
Norseman
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Political un-rest and rally

Post by Norseman »

Advise from the Australian Foreign Department:

There is a strong possibility of violence and civil unrest in Thailand, particularly in Bangkok, during March 2010.
A large scale demonstration by anti-government protesters is scheduled around the period 12 to 14 March, and possibly beyond, in central Bangkok.

You can read more here:
http://www.smartraveller.gov.au/zw-cgi/ ... e/Thailand
sandman67
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sandman67 »

by the 21st the protests will be done....probably after the army and riot police sweep the streets. The red shirts behaving themselves all the way to the 21st is just sooooooo improbable.

Keep an eye on the Nation and Bangkok post is my best advice.
"Science flew men to the moon. Religion flew men into buildings."

"To sin by silence makes cowards of men."
yabz

Post by yabz »

There is a rally on 14th March. I wouldn't worry too much about it. The possibility of violence is tremendously hyped up by the government and the press.

I remember during the occupation of government house by the PAD mob in 2008 I took my son to the zoo which is just opposite government house. Out of curiosity I wanted to see the PAD demonstrators in action so I went round government house. There was no sign of any demonstrators or occupation. Nothing. Eventually I gave up. Yet in the papers and TV there was this huge angry mob occupying the seat of government....I suspect it will be the same this time.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Looks like a big chunk of Bangkok will be closed for the weekend. TAT have issues a news bulletin highlighting the hotspots:

http://www.tatnews.org/fact_sheet/4757.asp
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Hi Kev.
I think you'll have to keep watching out for ongoing news as I don't think anyone knows what is going to happen, including the organizers.
If large numbers of people turn up, anything could happen as the Red shirts have failed to keep control of protests in the past, but on the other hand if it's just the political core, it'll probably be finished after a peaceful protest over the weekend.
I feel that the latter is more likely at the moment.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Excuse me, that's an embarrassment if reported correctly. Either they don't know, or don't want to say. Lovely this 'face saving' mentality, isn't it? :banghead:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breakingnews ... -situation
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

c1_171214_100312192509.jpg
c1_171214_100312192509.jpg (61.57 KiB) Viewed 10606 times
I see two Thai flags in there. Pete :cheers:
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

And I didn't think Pla ra could get any worse! :shock:
Super Joe
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Super Joe »

:wink: :wink: :wink:

SJ
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

In all fairness, I need to state a proviso that many articles and videos you may see in this thread over the next 72 hours may not portray an accurate assessment of the situation in Bangkok as a whole.

The rallies and planned demonstrations are only in certain areas and I think there are some maps in the above post links which show that.

This is not like the movie Shaka Zulu with hordes descending from every mountaintop and out for blood.

Foreigners are exempt unless they get stupid, drunk and involved spouting a big mouth. Then, they could very well be hurt badly for sticking their nose in where it doesn't belong. I will say that most foreigners here, and especially those living in Bangkok, will be cautious and low key over the next few days waiting to see how this all evolves.

If you're headed this way on holidays, don't hesitate. Keep to your plan. Just watch out for touts at the airport trying to take you on detours because of the problems and charging you more. If going into Bangkok, yes, detours and delays will happen. If going to Hua Hin or Pattaya etc., and the driver says there is a surcharge and detour because of the demonstrations, exit the car/van/bus and try someone else. They're BS'ing you to make more money. Unfortunately, you may not find any who don't try the same scam. Then, it's up to you how long you want to wait to try to find an honest driver.

Don't forget, part of the allure of coming to Thailand is that it's different than where you come from. This next week or so may add a little spice to that statement. :wink: :D

Watch this thread as I'll keep you up to date objectively as to what's happening here. Pete :cheers:
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Super Joe wrote::wink: :wink: :wink:

SJ

For those watching from abroad, those people are being paid 2,000 baht each to participate as a Red Shirt in the demonstrations. For average blue collar rank and file, that's 25% of their monthly wage.

This country needs a viable opposition Labour Party, but that's not the way to go about it properly.

However, their elite opposition is also corrupt to the core, but trading large blocks of shares, virgin daughters and political appointments to stay in power, rather than distributing small bank notes. Interesting place. :D Pete :cheers: