Drinking Water

Medical issues, doctors, dentists, opticians and hospitals in Hua Hin and Thailand.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

sargeant wrote:I am with you Lomu its typical ex pat BS the water in the big bottles comes straight out of a borehole and is every bit as good as the water in any small bottles and as i keep saying if its good enough for all the Thais its good enough for me
Paying extra for Singha is sheer snobbery IMHO
No, it's not sheer snobbery, it was a statement made by a newcomer with 12 posts, probably a woman, who is interested in this subject concerning the health of her family and doesn't know what the deal is here, yet. Pete
sargeant
Deceased
Deceased

Post by sargeant »

I wasnt having a go at any individual in particlar pete it was aimed at the farang thinking that brand names mean better which is just such a crock of ???? and based on snobbery and as lomu pointed out many of the brand names have been caught out over the years :shock: :shock:
I was pointing out that the water in the big 5gallon bottles comes from a borehole mine is about 500 yards from my house it has no additives whatsoever just straightforward plain old rock filtered h2o

and as i said on a previous health thread it is one 0f the main reasons why i think my health improved dramatically when i came here

no flourine no chlorine no dooreen no aunt sally either :D :D :D
A Greatfull Guest of Thailand
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Just to add my twopenneth. My wife, family and me (visitors from the UK also) have been drinking the 5 gal pots for more than 5 years with no after effects.
There was a big article in the Bangkok Post a little while ago which was offering proof that the tap water in Bangkok was drinkable. Although they did point out that it was only within a certain range of the processing plant and the further away you got the more chance of some cross polution appearing.
Jaime
Legend
Legend

Post by Jaime »

Mrs Jaime always organises stuff like deliveries of the big 10 litre (or whatever they are - I just drink it) white plastic water bottles. The water they contain has never made me ill.

My in-laws' drinking water in The Village is collected from rainwater straight off the roof via a Heath Robinson-esque system of currugated steel sheet guttering into the big concrete water butts. That has never made me ill either.

Three things have made me REALLY ill in Thailand:

The first was oysters, which I used to eat as if they were going out of fashion from a street vendor outside Foodland on Sukhumvit Soi 5. I was effectively playing Russian roulette with seafood - it was bound to catch me out sooner or later.

The second was sunstroke, which I managed to inflict on myself on my first ever visit to Hua Hin - fantastic hallucinations and much cheaper than drugs.

The last time was after a beef & melted cheese baguette from the Hua Hin Subway (sorry guys but I have been back since!). Painful memories but I did need to lose weight.....
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Jaime wrote:
The last time was after a beef & melted cheese baguette from the Hua Hin Subway
Jaime, considering all the bizarre creatures that you have consumed in Thailand, you must have felt a bit seen off catching “Gandhi’s revengeâ€
Glyn
Rookie
Rookie

Drinking Water

Post by Glyn »

Where does the 'snobbery' come into the discussion by buying Singha water? The bottles of water that I purchase cost 5 baht per litre. A good test is to drink the water unchilled as I have to, Singha water has a very good taste, try some of the other water unchilled and you may get a shock!
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

I never considered Singha water as a superior brand; it just seems to be the most widely available.
They can’t be that snobby, otherwise they would be sponsoring ocean yacht racing instead of Rolex.
sargeant
Deceased
Deceased

Post by sargeant »

I used the word snobbery Glyn not to have a go at you personally but because after 9 years of continuous 365 days a year living here i have heard just about every single story known to man and possums to justify paying 5 baht a litre as against 50 satang a litre and i cannot after my nine years come up with any other reason or word to describe a 1000% price increase for friggin water i am however open to any word that describes why someone would pay that (in light of 60 million thais using 50 satang water and surviving quite well)
As for taste trust me pure unadulterated rock filtered bore hole water chilled or unchilled maybe does have a different taste cos it has NOT had anything added to it or been through a bottleing plant and human intervention etc etc etc it comes out of the ground goes into the 20 litre bottles is capped and sealed and sold for 10 baht
I also buy 1 litre bottles (plastic) at 35 baht a dozen 3 three baht a litre
for my fridge and kettle upstairs and Mr Singha dont get a penny for putting his name on it
A Greatfull Guest of Thailand