Touristy Question - Beach Beds

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
Baltic
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Baltic »

Thank You everyone, who have taken care to reply to my HH newbie questions here!
Good news for me is that due to serious business obligations I was by my company management forced to change my schedule and I will arrive Oct.8 to Hua Hin, staying for 15 days.
This suits me very well!

Can anybody update me about jellyfish situation currently?

From my past experience of Karon Beach, Phuket - very few times there is something in the water You can not see, but afterwards it burns a bit (not very much, but hurts quite a long time), Despite of more than 10 years experience I have not figured out, what and how causes this "stinging" happen, and from sea water You will not see anything...
One more :mrgreen: stupid question, but how this "stinging" is in HH sea waterrs now? As You might understand, I'm meaning Khao Takiab Beach :cheers:
There was one thread frightening to dead about jellyfish (this might be the phenomena, I guess?)
Two beers or not two beers ...
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

At this tiem of year - the rainy season, although we don't get that much in HH - the seas are heavier than at other times of the year and the jellyfish get swept in closer to shore.
Probably your best bet where you're staying is to look out for any that are washed up on the beach and ask the locals and other guests who been there some time already.
Certainly, if you walk HH beach, there are quite a few big jellyfish washed up, but I don't think they sting. The ones you need to watch out for are much smaller. These can cause extreme pain for a number of days and definitely should be avoided. The good news is that they're generally too far out to sea to bother bathers.
Again, local advice is your best bet.
Baltic
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Baltic »

lomuamart wrote:At this tiem of year - the rainy season, although we don't get that much in HH - the seas are heavier than at other times of the year and the jellyfish get swept in closer to shore.generally too far out to sea to bother bathers.
Again, local advice is your best bet.
Thanks,
definitely I will ask about local advice already after one week!
I'm so happy about such turn of the things :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
If it does not bother some of You too much - how is the weather currently?
You know, Internet (Weather Underground particulary) is showing continuously "Chance of T-storms ", what does it mean in reality ?
In Phuket Karon Beach case such Internet warning was meaning always just an another perfect day (pls remember Phil Collins famous song "Another day In Paradise" :D )
Strange, but by requested change in my travel schedule I unfortunately can not see Phil Collins live on stage - I have (or let now say had, because I've sold these tickets already now) tickets for his concert on Oct.16 in Tallinn, Estonia, but actually I will be in Hua Hin then :wink: So what?

Let see You in Hua Hin! :D :D :D
Willow
Amateur
Amateur

touristy question-beach beds

Post by Willow »

please let me give you some hard learned advice. do not go to beaches where there are no beach beds and lie on the sand, even on a mat or towel.. i was bitten all over by little black sand bugs. the itching lasted for nearly 2 weeks. i took anti histamines and sloshed on gallons of calamine lotion.
----live and learn----
Willow
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

It's been raining quite regularly in the afternoons for about an hour. Today no rain so far, sunny and hot.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Baltic,
I was down at Kao Takieb close to Bluewave yesterday afternoon and a young chap got stung. The restaurant staff were great, pouring soda water and vinegar over the afflicted area and then giving him some plant to rub in afterwards. He seemed OK after 30 mins or so, but was in quite a bit of pain initially.
Be careful.
Baltic
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Baltic »

lomuamart wrote:Baltic,
I was down at Kao Takieb close to Bluewave yesterday afternoon and a young chap got stung. The restaurant staff were great, pouring soda water and vinegar over the afflicted area and then giving him some plant to rub in afterwards. He seemed OK after 30 mins or so, but was in quite a bit of pain initially.
Be careful.
BRRRRR,
I do :guns: :guns: :guns:
Actually - what creature was stinging him and where - in water or on beach?
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

A jellyfish, in the sea.
He just got unlucky. There were lots of people swimming and messing around and no one else was touched.
I really wouldn't worry about it too much. Believe me, it's far more dangerous on the roads :thumb:
Baltic
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Baltic »

lomuamart wrote:A jellyfish, in the sea.
He just got unlucky. Believe me, it's far more dangerous on the roads :thumb:
Thank You for good advice, I need watch out more when I'm in sea waters then.However these jellyfish You can not see in water when swimming?

LOS road traffic is crazy for me - lefthanded and really "mai pen rai", so I DO NOT hire either bike or car there :D
See You soon in HH!