One dead as airplane makes an emergency landing in Suvarnabhumi

Sub-forum for discussion on air travel, airports, and airlines.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Re: One dead as airplane makes an emergency landing in Suvarnabhumi

Post by STEVE G »

I've always worn the seat belt loosely buckled for over twenty years after hearing of an acident when an autopilot was accidentally disconnected and a passenger was killed when the aircraft violently pitched down. I forget the airline but I think it was an MD11 aircraft.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

Big Boy wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 12:24 pm OK, if not naughty kids, why do they ignore the advice from the airline, which has been given for their own comfort/safety? What collective description would you give?

These are probably the same kind of people who come to Thailand, hire a motorcycle with no valid licence and refuse to wear a helmet.
I'd use the term 'majority of passengers'. Who have no similarity to helmetless farang who are just apeing the behaviour of a large proportion of Thai bike riders anyway.

I'll stop now as we've made our positions clear. :D
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

I'm with caller on this one - I enjoy (or did) a walk around when needed/possible and always buckled up whilst seated. I think the latter was just habit as if I ever nodded off on the rare occasion, I always seemed to be woken up to buckle up anyway!! I've been caught in some extreme turbulence over the years, but certainly not to the extreme suffered on this flight. Strangely the majority of times I experienced the worst cases, it was heading into Japan.

The turbulence on this flight however caught everyone out it seems and could actually been far worse - terrible as it was.
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Another one ...

Severe turbulence leaves 12 injured on Qatar Airways flight

A Qatar Airways flight struck severe turbulence over Turkey, injuring 12 people on board, before landing as scheduled in Dublin on Sunday.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/world/28000 ... ays-flight

Read somewhere that these events would become more frequent with climate change affecting conditions and airflow at elevation.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

buksida wrote:Read somewhere that these events would become more frequent with climate change affecting conditions and airflow at elevation.
There are several articles posted around:

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/2024 ... e-airlines

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-05-22/ ... /103877522

While a lot of expected turbulence can be tracked by radar and such electronic sensors, the killer is CAT, clear air turbulance.
It is more of a hole in the air, rather than jet stream turbulence as explained in one of those links.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!