Premier League 2023-24

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
Lost
Addict
Addict

Re: Premier League 2023-24

Post by Lost »

Dannie Boy wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 8:28 pm I’m only following the match on BBC Sports, but most are claiming a foul on Spurs goalkeeper when Calvin-Lewin scored
Never a foul. Vicario needed to be stronger.
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
Lost
Addict
Addict

Post by Lost »

Bugger.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Dannie Boy wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 8:06 pm It’s not over ‘till the fat lady sings!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
She’s singing now - too many doubters on the Forum :duck:
Lost
Addict
Addict

Post by Lost »

Didn't look on it at all for the most part. Couple of moments of class from Richie. A draw is a fair result.
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

Lost wrote:Didn't look on it at all for the most part. Couple of moments of class from Richie. A draw is a fair result.
I'd have happily taken a point beforehand.... obviously!

No worries, City away next week... 3 points in the bag! Image

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

And that, I suspect, is the end of Pochettino.

I think we should go after Gary O'Neil. The contrast in his management style, active, constantly checking the screen, consulting with his assistants, and Poch, who just sit's back in his seat, couldn't be more pronounced. The new v the old.

Or ask Silva to take control, at least until season's end.
Talk is cheap
Lost
Addict
Addict

Post by Lost »

It's not all doom and gloom caller. The women's team are top of the league. :D
Lost
Addict
Addict

Post by Lost »

Not great reading for Poch. Understand he still has the confidence of the board. I also understand that, per reports, the payout should they sack him is a concern.

caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

I gave up on him a while back. Most of my friends are Chelsea fans, a few of them I have been going to the Bridge and elsewhere with, since my school days. Sadly one has passed (covid, although already ill), 3 others are still regulars, but not together, although they bump into each other from time to time and meet up 2/3 times a year. I can't repeat here what they think about Pochettino or some of the players.

1974/5 was my first away game outside of London, at Wolves, ironically. We got beat 7-1 and my mate, the one that passed, got caught up in some violence. Not his fault, but he took a few good kicks and had the bruises to prove it. And that was from a Chelsea fan! A few years later, I sat with that fan in the benches at the old Bridge, whilst he informally assessed his mate, running a line, in a Division one game. He was terrible! I had officiated elsewhere with the guy that kicked my mate in semi-pro games. Wouldn't happen now. Oops off-topic! :D

I still well recall, being up at Bolton, where we had to win to avoid relegation to what was then, division 3, we did, through a Clive Walker goal. And there were thousands of Chelsea fans there, as there always were, and are. So we've seen the good and bad times, we get what makes a good team and a good manager, and it isn't one that makes me depressed because the fare on offer is so poor, where the manager keeps banging on about the bloody 'project'. What a dumb word that is - the so-called 'project' is just an excuse for not being able to put a decent team out. Putting the same team out two games running might be a novel idea that should be tried sometime!

Yes, loads of injuries, as other team have had, you find a way to work around them, or should do. All season we have had Maatsen, a player in the ilk of Chilwell, who has been out injured, sat on the bench, whilst our best centre back, bar Silva, is selected at left back. That's colwill I am talking about. Now Maatsen is on loan at Dortmund and already doing well. Why wasn't he given a chance, how did it affect him, seeing a big centre back playing in his position?

Then there's a little known guy called Fofana, a so-called raw recruit, whose plans for this season, weren't at Chelsea, but being out on loan. a couple of days before the transfer window ended, he went to Burnley on loan, and scored twice against Fulham on his debut. Meanwhile, we let Broja leave on loan, who clearly wasn't fancied by Poch, and only played when no-one else was available, he was so lacking in confidence and his body language was terrible. Where was Poch using all his alleged skills with young players, putting his arm around him, and building him up? Nowhere. He's now at Fulham, and Wolves also wanted him as well. Not good enough for Chelsea though. It will be interesting to see how he does. And now we have Jackson back, who Poch obvioously likes and he's an honest lad in fairness, it 's just a shame he's crap.

And God only knows why we play 4-4-2 ad nauseum, we don't or can't press - how hard can that be - and we are so stretched, every team runs through us, as Wolves did the other day. It's like playing with square pegs in round holes and inviting other teams to put us under pressure. I mean, isn't that a given, to play too your strengths? Ironically, we have most possession in most games, we did against Wolves, significantly more, but what's the point when we can't do anythiing with it. We miss so many chances, often created by Gallagher winning the ball in the opponents half - check his stats - and he's the only one with any passion, and yet they are thinking of letting him go. If they had done that in the recent window, there would have been some serious disturbances at the Bridge.

And I haven't even started yet! Anyway, Silva's missus has said what most Chelsea fans are thinking. It's clear there is little love between Poch and Silva. He's played at some great teams, he's someone who knows a good manager.

As for Danny Murphy, he has this to say.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/av/football/68209218
Talk is cheap
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

caller wrote:I gave up on him a while back. Most of my friends are Chelsea fans, a few of them I have been going to the Bridge and elsewhere with, since my school days. Sadly one has passed (covid, although already ill), 3 others are still regulars, but not together, although they bump into each other from time to time and meet up 2/3 times a year. I can't repeat here what they think about Pochettino or some of the players.

1974/5 was my first away game outside of London, at Wolves, ironically. We got beat 7-1 and my mate, the one that passed, got caught up in some violence. Not his fault, but he took a few good kicks and had the bruises to prove it. And that was from a Chelsea fan! A few years later, I sat with that fan in the benches at the old Bridge, whilst he informally assessed his mate, running a line, in a Division one game. He was terrible! I had officiated elsewhere with the guy that kicked my mate in semi-pro games. Wouldn't happen now. Oops off-topic! :D

I still well recall, being up at Bolton, where we had to win to avoid relegation to what was then, division 3, we did, through a Clive Walker goal. And there were thousands of Chelsea fans there, as there always were, and are. So we've seen the good and bad times, we get what makes a good team and a good manager, and it isn't one that makes me depressed because the fare on offer is so poor, where the manager keeps banging on about the bloody 'project'. What a dumb word that is - the so-called 'project' is just an excuse for not being able to put a decent team out. Putting the same team out two games running might be a novel idea that should be tried sometime!

Yes, loads of injuries, as other team have had, you find a way to work around them, or should do. All season we have had Maatsen, a player in the ilk of Chilwell, who has been out injured, sat on the bench, whilst our best centre back, bar Silva, is selected at left back. That's colwill I am talking about. Now Maatsen is on loan at Dortmund and already doing well. Why wasn't he given a chance, how did it affect him, seeing a big centre back playing in his position?

Then there's a little known guy called Fofana, a so-called raw recruit, whose plans for this season, weren't at Chelsea, but being out on loan. a couple of days before the transfer window ended, he went to Burnley on loan, and scored twice against Fulham on his debut. Meanwhile, we let Broja leave on loan, who clearly wasn't fancied by Poch, and only played when no-one else was available, he was so lacking in confidence and his body language was terrible. Where was Poch using all his alleged skills with young players, putting his arm around him, and building him up? Nowhere. He's now at Fulham, and Wolves also wanted him as well. Not good enough for Chelsea though. It will be interesting to see how he does. And now we have Jackson back, who Poch obvioously likes and he's an honest lad in fairness, it 's just a shame he's crap.

And God only knows why we play 4-4-2 ad nauseum, we don't or can't press - how hard can that be - and we are so stretched, every team runs through us, as Wolves did the other day. It's like playing with square pegs in round holes and inviting other teams to put us under pressure. I mean, isn't that a given, to play too your strengths? Ironically, we have most possession in most games, we did against Wolves, significantly more, but what's the point when we can't do anythiing with it. We miss so many chances, often created by Gallagher winning the ball in the opponents half - check his stats - and he's the only one with any passion, and yet they are thinking of letting him go. If they had done that in the recent window, there would have been some serious disturbances at the Bridge.

And I haven't even started yet! Anyway, Silva's missus has said what most Chelsea fans are thinking. It's clear there is little love between Poch and Silva. He's played at some great teams, he's someone who knows a good manager.

As for Danny Murphy, he has this to say.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/av/football/68209218
Mega rich club now can't afford to sack their manager, well there's a new one!

Ps please explain comments by Silva and any back story re not liking each other?? Thanks

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

The tweet is in this article. She has form, she sent one about Potter before he went.

Earlier in the season, when we had just conceded and the side was basically in a mess. There was footage of Silva, just absolutely glaring at the bench, for some considerable time, as if saying, 'do something'. Nothing happened.

Silva went to see Poch yesterday to clear the air. I am really hoping Silva stays on, in whatever capacity, player, coach, manager even, He is pure class.

https://www.caughtoffside.com/2024/02/0 ... tic-tweet/
Talk is cheap
Lost
Addict
Addict

Post by Lost »

I found this quite funny. The ups-and-downs of the football fan.

dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Well, I've no idea who this tosser is, but I have to say I'm enjoying his suffering! :thumb:
This is the way
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Lots in the news of late regarding the trial of the Blue Card in football. Apparently "Sin Bins" have already been trialed at grassroots level, there is supposedly talk of it being brought into "elite levels". Personally, I think it's a good idea, especially for decent - something certainly needs to be done to curb the petulant behaviour of the mouthy overpaid prima donnas. There's currently zero respect shown by many players to referees, supporters or the sport in general IMHO. Personally I think it's a good idea, but it seems many including the "Premier League" are against it..... What's the opinion of those on here?

Blue Cards for Sin-Binned Players to be Trialled by Football's Lawmakers Ifab

"Football's lawmakers Ifab are to trial sin-binning players and issuing blue cards, it will be announced on Friday.

Sin-bins have been used at grassroots level for dissent but their use could be extended to cynical fouls as part of a trial.

A player would spend 10 minutes in the technical area after being given a blue card by a referee.

It is not yet clear when the trial will start and which competitions it will involve.

The Premier League has already ruled out being part of the initial roll-out of any trial, while football's world governing body Fifa said "reports of the so-called 'blue card' at elite levels of football are incorrect and premature".

It added: "Any such trials, if implemented, should be limited to testing in a responsible manner at lower levels, a position that Fifa intends to reiterate when this agenda item is discussed at the Ifab AGM [annual general meeting] on 1 March."

Ifab (International Football Association Board) is scheduled to hold its annual meeting at Loch Lomond in Scotland in March and sin-bin trials at higher levels of the game are listed as a topic for discussion in the agenda."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68246971

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

IMHO just another avenue for corruption, but I look at it from the Thailand point of view.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance: