VPN Recommendations and Discussion

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
Big Boy

Re: VPN Recommendations and Discussion

Post by Big Boy »

Wembley hasn't been an option for me for about a year now.

After over an hour of trying, I've got BBC to work using East London.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Big Boy wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 9:40 pm Wembley hasn't been an option for me for about a year now.

After over an hour of trying, I've got BBC to work using East London.
Well that’s strange, because I no longer get East London!! Anyway glad to hear that you eventually got so see something.

Actually I’ve just checked and I do have East London as an option, although I don’t normally use it!!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

My battle with Express VPN continued right the way through October, and it eventually all came to a head yesterday. I was convinced it was my very low powered TV laptop. I replaced it with another cheap, but much more powerful machine (still very underpowered compared with main laptop) yesterday.

I battled with it for a couple of hours yesterday, but couldn't connect either ITV or BBC. Everywhere else was fine. Rather than throw it through the window, I decided put it to one side until today.

I tried it around lunchtime, and both BBC and ITV loaded immediately. 5 minutes later it all crashed, never to return. The only thing that returned was my anger.

Time for the 24 hour online help desk. Started off with a series of 'obvious' futile questions. Of course I've done this and I've done that. About an hour into the piece, we got to the more meaningful stuff. Still no joy. The guy had me ticking boxes and pressing numerous buttons, all to no avail.

Eventually, he (or was it she?) got the right combination, and my VPN is working like the beast I expected when I first signed up. I've been struggling on for a few years, getting a less than perfect service. My VPN is now working perfectly. A couple of hours on the helpline was certainly well worth it. I'm well chuffed this evening. I'm sure the more powerful laptop helps as well. I've now retired the old candle driven beast that has served me well for 7 years.

Points 51; Position 21
buksida

Post by buksida »

So what did they do to rectify the problem? Was it your hardware, ISP, or the VPN software client?
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

We changed the protocols. Basically entered through burger menu (their terminology, not mine), selected options/protocol and selected Lightway UDP. That worked but Lightway TCP was next.

Points 51; Position 21
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Post by Gregjam »

Which VPN works for which person seems to vary. Express VPN has been my go to without any issues, Nord has been binned as I got fed up constantly logging in and did not get on with the interface, my current backup is Surfshark which I don’t use much but works if I need it. I know that for others Nord is very good.
I have a Malaysian Hotlink pre pay sim which I use in China on occasional visits and does not appear to be affected by local firewalls there, not a vpn but serves a similar purpose for data access. Good to know that express has good technical support though.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

My bad news is it's crashed again. Can't access BBC or ITV again. I'll be back on to the help line again tomorrow :banghead:

Points 51; Position 21
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Big Boy wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:29 pm My bad news is it's crashed again. Can't access BBC or ITV again. I'll be back on to the help line again tomorrow :banghead:
Definitely seems more temperamental these days - although I was able to watch BBC last night, ITV is sometimes quite difficult.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Big Boy wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:29 pm My bad news is it's crashed again. Can't access BBC or ITV again. I'll be back on to the help line again tomorrow :banghead:
You can try changing protocols yourself from settings and see if one or more work better.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, I tried that, and they all failed, one after the other. I anticipate another 2 hour session with Express VPN today, so that will be later this afternoon.

Points 51; Position 21
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I just tried watching BBC with location set to London Docklands and it worked first time, so it’s very much hit and miss!!
buksida

Post by buksida »

I find Express works perfectly most of the time, and is a huge improvement over Thailand's firewalls and censors. But as you do, the only issues I have with it is when trying to watch UK TV. I would imagine the Beeb and ITV are getting more sophisticated at blocking VPNs rather than the VPN itself having issues.

I've pretty much ditched UK TV now aside from major sporting events, and most of them I download to avoid the buffering.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I agree, other UK TV services work without a glitch. It is just ITV and BBC. I also agree that they are probably getting more sophisticated. However, Express say they should work, so why can't they fix it? If they can't fix it, please be honest, and don't have customers wasting hours of time trying to use it?

Of course, if they admitted it, I for one would not be renewing my subscription. I will become a daily pain in their side until they fix it, or admit the truth.

Points 51; Position 21
huahin4ever
Ace
Ace

Post by huahin4ever »

I have ditched Express VPN now due to the enormous price hike. I get 2 years with Nord VPN and Surfshark for what Express VPN charges for 1 year now!

YNWA

YNWA
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

huahin4ever wrote:I have ditched Express VPN now due to the enormous price hike. I get 2 years with Nord VPN and Surfshark for what Express VPN charges for 1 year now!

YNWA
Do you use it to view TV programmes? Although a VPN has other benefits, I use Express VPN predominantly so I can access UK TV channels - do Nord and Surfshark provide this ability?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk