Premier League 2023-24

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Re: Premier League 2023-24

Post by Dannie Boy »

I thought both games were enjoyable but have to agree that the Chelsea/Liverpool game was at a higher level.

As for yesterdays games, Newcastle also looked good.
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

Man U took winning ugly to a new high :banghead: :banghead:

Not a lot to cheer about Mason Mounts league debut, a passenger until subbed. Casimero caught in possession time after time, Onana lucky not to have given away an injury time penalty, Bruno F wasteful on the ball(AGAIN), Rashford out for a Monday evening stroll.

Ah well, 30 odd more points to ensure Prem survival. :laugh: :laugh:
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
nanyang
Professional
Professional

Post by nanyang »

You forgot to mention Garnacho and Antony - piss poor!
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

In other words - the whole team were rubbish!! I only watched the first half and thought that Wolves were definitely the better team and apparently denied a blatant penalty right at the end of the second half - Fergie luck I presume!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

nanyang wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:35 pm You forgot to mention Garnacho and Antony - piss poor!
They were all pish :laugh: apart from Luke Shaw, at least he showed a little bit of interest in the game. :thumb:
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
Lost
Addict
Addict

Post by Lost »

Chelsea spend now at £800+ million pounds for the year. Anything but the Premier League title is total, utter failure.
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Lost wrote:Chelsea spend now at £800+ million pounds for the year. Anything but the Premier League title is total, utter failure.
Get ready for total, utter failure!!Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lost
Addict
Addict

Post by Lost »

Dannie Boy wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 9:13 pm
Lost wrote:Chelsea spend now at £800+ million pounds for the year. Anything but the Premier League title is total, utter failure.
Get ready for total, utter failure!!Image
You never know. Poch managed to get a team with Winks, Sissoko and Alli in the middle to be title contenders and Champion's League finalists. Already saw a great improvement in Chelsea's game.

That amount of money spent, before and during Poch, it's the title or failure.
Lost
Addict
Addict

Post by Lost »

Other musings on the weekends footy...

Spurs have acquired an outstanding centre back in Van de Van. Unfortunate for the goal but topped the defensive charts for the weekend, on his prem debut, on a mix of aerial duels, dribble pasts, tackles etc. The guy is tall, strong and feckin' speedy. Him and Romero are going to rekindle the days of Vertonghen and Alderweireld. No more feckin Dier. My patience is running thin with Richie. It's fine being out of the game for long periods in that position but you need to bury the half-chance when it pops up.

Old Trafford will continue to be the fortress it was last season. Not due to United but due to the officials. What a joke. The way they played, I'm thinking of taking a -4 to get them grifters out my fpl team. Disjointed. No apparent plan. But they got us next... rather not jinx it.

Chelsea have found some fun in their game again. Enzo was outstanding. That first game performance will catapult their belief. The signing of Caicedo and likely Lavia gives them the kind of depth that wins stuff. £90 million man on the bench already last Sunday.

Arsenal. Beatable...winning nothing.

:cheers:
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

However, there are still two weeks to go until the transfer window closes - maybe most of the big moves have already taken place, but still time for a few surprises.

Although I think M City are the team to beat, losing KDB for at least 3 months will be a big loss for them - how many times has he opened up teams that then lead to an avalanche of goals?
Lost
Addict
Addict

Post by Lost »

Dannie Boy wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 12:11 am However, there are still two weeks to go until the transfer window closes - maybe most of the big moves have already taken place, but still time for a few surprises.

Although I think M City are the team to beat, losing KDB for at least 3 months will be a big loss for them - how many times has he opened up teams that then lead to an avalanche of goals?
Yup massive loss for them. A few significant injuries already this season. Arsenal's new defender Timber likely out for majority. They're one Saliba injury away from Rob Holding back in the line-up. Villa really stung with bad injuries to Buendia and Mings. Chelsea's new forward Nkunku out for 4 months.
Lost
Addict
Addict

Post by Lost »

Thought it was an odd choice from Poch in naming Reece James captain. He's Chelsea through and through but the man can't go 2 games without an injury. :?

Out again (hamstring).
Lost
Addict
Addict

Post by Lost »

Bossed United off the pitch. Love to see it. And just how we did it too. Delightful watching this new Tottenham team at times. We got some bargains there too.

Madison, Bissouma, Sarr = £100 million spent.

Each player better than Rice, Mount, Caicedo. But we do need a bloody striker. Richie's lost all confidence. Can't hold the ball up. Can't score. Can't win aerial duels.

Happy though. Makes a change. :D
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Spurs 2-0 Man U

By 'eck I enjoyed that! Spurs were excellent in the 2nd half in particular.

The defence was much improved. The only negatives I can see are Son's lack of form, which is hopefully temporary, and Richarlison in general. His attitude is dreadful and he doesn't look as though he can perform unless the ball is passed to him exactly where he wants it. He certainly isn't a Kane, able to drop back and pick up the ball for himself or be a proivider for his teammates. Personally it's his attitude, in particular, that worries me.

But judging by the first 2 performances, I'm cautiously optimistic.

EDIT: Oh yes, and where did 9 minutes of time added on come from? No VAR, no trainers on, no time wasting, just a handful of substitutions.,
Last edited by dtaai-maai on Sun Aug 20, 2023 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
This is the way
Lost
Addict
Addict

Post by Lost »

^ was also nice to see our new keeper get a clean sheet and a few very decent saves in. :D

:cheers: