Weather in Hua Hin & Thailand

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
Scout
Professional
Professional

Re: Weather in Hua Hin & Thailand

Post by Scout »

thecolonel wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:01 pm According to ThaiMet....

the Daily breakdown figures for November totals up to 131.4 mm. This is against a November average of 103 mm (according to weather and climate.com)

That would suggest that we had 28% percent more rain than the HH average for November.

I'm sure there are a couple of people on here who would say that we had quite a bit more than that and that's probably because they got more!
Again it's so localized, the ThaiMet figures( for Soi 51/53) are always less than what is privately reported on this forum by members living not that far away.

If I recall correctly, and without looking it up, both September and October were 'wet' too. I certainly can't recall the golf courses being so soggy this time last year.

Incidentally, 42% of November's rain fell in one day(Mon 14th). But I suspect that's not that unusual

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk
Excellent recap Colonel ! Any figures on how the year-to-date rainfall compares to average ? Not trying to be lazy in not attempting to look it up myself, just hoping to leverage the experts on this topic..
Thanks again !
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

Scout wrote:
thecolonel wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:01 pm According to ThaiMet....

the Daily breakdown figures for November totals up to 131.4 mm. This is against a November average of 103 mm (according to weather and climate.com)

That would suggest that we had 28% percent more rain than the HH average for November.

I'm sure there are a couple of people on here who would say that we had quite a bit more than that and that's probably because they got more!
Again it's so localized, the ThaiMet figures( for Soi 51/53) are always less than what is privately reported on this forum by members living not that far away.

If I recall correctly, and without looking it up, both September and October were 'wet' too. I certainly can't recall the golf courses being so soggy this time last year.

Incidentally, 42% of November's rain fell in one day(Mon 14th). But I suspect that's not that unusual

Excellent recap Colonel ! Any figures on how the year-to-date rainfall compares to average ? Not trying to be lazy in not attempting to look it up myself, just hoping to leverage the experts on this topic..
Thanks again !
Well therein lies the problem.

When ThaiMet 'upgraded' their website they completely messed up the cumulative totals

I telephoned them, 2 to 3 weeks ago, spoke to a decent chap who completely understood my point and said he would "inform the data Dept"

I mean FFS, they could get 14 year kids from the local school to do this in about 30 minutes as the daily totals are there

That said I've not checked for a few days so I'll investigate

PeteC

Post by PeteC »

The Thai Met site is still a mess. Synoptic weather charts haven't functioned since day 1, and they're important if you really want to see what's coming and what's here.

Radar stations are off line, and not really their website problem, but a general indication of how the entire system is poorly run.

The icing is that they spelled "Satellite" "Satellize" :shock: Too proud to ask a native English speaker once again, an endemic condition here.

I rarely go to the site any longer. The Weather Channel app on my phone is much better, predicting the start of showers within 15 minutes the last 2 days. :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Synoptic weather charts haven't functioned since day 1, and they're important if you really want to see what's coming and what's here.
Hoo bloody ray! At least we have 1 whom understands how it is!!!! :cheers:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
buksida

Post by buksida »

Never bothered with any of the useless Thai websites and always use Windy to show how much it is going to be pissing down again for the next few days. Still amusing that you guys are counting millimeters, its fckin biblical down here, now into our 8th month of wet season.

https://www.windy.com/12.570/99.960?sat ... 8,99.960,8
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Well I'll be watching the England game tonight at my local. (no atmosphere watching at home)

Now should I consult the weather? Nah! I'm going anyway whatever the weather!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

buksida wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:41 am Never bothered with any of the useless Thai websites and always use Windy to show how much it is going to be pissing down again for the next few days. Still amusing that you guys are counting millimeters, its fckin biblical down here, now into our 8th month of wet season.

https://www.windy.com/12.570/99.960?sat ... 8,99.960,8
As with the last time you posted the weather radar, it is amazing how you live so close, but suffer such differing weather. Even when I drove to Koh Samui, the weather was generally crap, but the rain was harder, and temperatures were much colder as we passed near Bang Saphan.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Buksida

The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
buksida

Post by buksida »

I take it you Huahinians didn't get that wrath of god type storm last night. Definitely the worst one of the year and it raged on for a couple of hours with window-rattling thunder and lighning. Trees are downed, flooding is imminent, and the yard looks like Beirut this morning.

Just like something out of a Roadrunner cartoon, that epic ball of rain is right on top of us again.

satmap.jpg
satmap.jpg (105.94 KiB) Viewed 455 times

If this is the new normal, it is definitely time to get out of Dodge.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

You definitely are living in a different world down there - I think we got a bit of lightning quite far away, but no rain that I’m aware of and whilst it’s quite cloudy this morning, little indications of imminent rain.
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

buksida wrote:I take it you Huahinians didn't get that wrath of god type storm last night. Definitely the worst one of the year and it raged on for a couple of hours with window-rattling thunder and lighning. Trees are downed, flooding is imminent, and the yard looks like Beirut this morning.

Just like something out of a Roadrunner cartoon, that epic ball of rain is right on top of us again.

satmap.jpg

If this is the new normal, it is definitely time to get out of Dodge.
Think you've needed a bolt hole in HH for some time now

That said you've probably left it too late as you're probably through the worst of it.... fingers crossed(Plus HH is dead busy right now and accommodation will be pricier than usual).

No rain last night or even a hint of it best as I can tell

buksida

Post by buksida »

After 12 hours of solid downpour, the smart department has released water from one of our local reservoirs so we're officially flooded out again. Just spent the last 30 mins pushing a stranded Ford Fiesta half full of water out of the deluge ...

318222699_9269243693101866_7683946159567924227_n.jpg
318222699_9269243693101866_7683946159567924227_n.jpg (139.15 KiB) Viewed 402 times

Local authorities have issued a flood warning.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

It appears the south is about to be hit hard this weekend:
Southern Thailand has been soaked with rain over the past week. Now, the National Water Command Centre is warning 11 provinces of possible floods this coming weekend. They are expecting heavy rains from Thursday, December 8 through Sunday, December 11.

Strong storms have been flickering power in some provinces in the south of Thailand, with high winds blowing debris and doing damage, even ripping gates off their hinges. The NWCC is warning people to prepare for more, and possibly worse, storms. They have instructed agencies in key areas in the 11 southern provinces to keep a close eye. The centre cautioned relevant agencies to monitor the water situation continuously and watch the weather for increased storms.
https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/weather ... 6cSQhM70O8
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Bangkok could hit lows of 18°C next week

https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/weather ... -next-week

Get your wooly jumpers ready as Bangkok and surrounding areas could hit lows of 18° Celsius next week, according to Thailand’s Meteorological Department.

Between December 12-14, the Thai capital will feel cold and breezy for the first time in a long time, if the department’s predictions are correct.

A moderate high-pressure cell from China is expected to cover upper Thailand and the South China Sea between December 8-10, reported the department this morning.

The cell will cause cool temperatures, morning fog, and light rain in some areas of northern and northeast Thailand this weekend.

A low-pressure cell from Borneo is expected to pass northward through Malaysia and into the Strait of Malacca and the lower Andaman Sea, causing more heavy rain in southern Thailand this weekend.

Between December 11-14, another intense high-pressure cell is expected to cover much of upper Thailand, causing low temperatures and strong winds. The temperature could drop by 3-5° Celsius in northern, northeastern, and central Thailand. The temperature in Bangkok could decrease by 2-4° Celsius.

During this time, waves are expected to reach two metres in the Gulf of Thailand and climb higher than two metres during thunderstorms.

The department advises residents in southern Thailand to be careful of heavy rain and potential flash flooding, especially in foothills near waterways and in lowland areas.

Sailors should proceed with caution and avoid sailing during thunderstorms, advises the department.

Thailand Weather Forecast December 8-14

Northern Thailand

During December 8-11, northern Thailand will be cool with fog in the mornings and some light rain. Winds are expected to reach 10-20 kilometres per hour.

The minimum temperature will range from 17-23° Celsius and maximum temperature will reach 30-34° Celsius.

Mountaintops could reach lows of 8° Celsius.

During December 12-14, northern Thailand will see cold weather and strong winds of up to 25 kilometres per hour.

The minimum temperature will range from 14-21° Celsius and the maximum temperature will range from 29-32° Celsius.

Mountaintops could reach lows of 5° Celsius.

Northeastern Thailand

During December 8-10, northeast Thailand will be cool with mist in the mornings. Light rain can be expected. Wind speed will range between 10-15 kilometres per hour.

The minimum temperature will range from 16-23° Celsius and maximum temperature will reach 29-33° Celsius.

Mountaintops could reach lows of 13° Celsius.

During December 11-14, the weather will be cold with strong winds with wind speeds ranging between 10-30 kilometres per hour.

The minimum temperature will range from 13-20° Celsius and maximum temperature will reach 28-31° Celsius.

Mountaintops could reach lows of 8° Celsius.

Central Thailand

During December 8-11, central Thailand will be cool with fog in the mornings. Light rain is expected. Wind speed will range between 10-20 kilometres per hour.

The minimum temperature will range from 21-24° Celsius and maximum temperature will reach 30-33° Celsius.

During December 12-14, central Thailand will be cool with strong winds ranging between 15-25 kilometres per hour in speed.

The minimum temperature will range from 16-21° Celsius and maximum temperature will reach 29-32° Celsius.

Eastern Thailand

During December 8-11, eastern Thailand will be cool in the mornings. Light rain is expected. Wind speed will range between 10-30 kilometres per hour.

The minimum temperature will range from 21-25° Celsius and maximum temperature will reach 30-34° Celsius.

Waves will reach one metre in height.

During December 12-14, eastern Thailand will be cool with strong winds 15-30 kilometres per hour in speed.

The minimum temperature will range from 16-21° Celsius and maximum temperature will reach 29-32° Celsius.

Waves will reach one metre on the coast and could reach up to two metres offshore.
Southern Thailand (East Coast)

During December 8-11, southern Thailand’s East Coast will see scattered thunderstorms and isolated periods of heavy rain. Very heavy rain is expected during December 8-10.

During December 12-14, thunderstorms will cover 40-60% of southern Thailand.

From Surat Thani northward, wind speeds will reach 15-30 kilometres per hour. Waves will reach heights between one to two metres and more than two metres during thunderstorms.

From Nakhon Si Thammarat southward, wind speeds will range between 20-25 kilometres per hour. Waves will reach heights of two metres and more than two metres during thunderstorms.

The minimum temperature will range from 23-25° Celsius and maximum temperature will reach 26-33° Celsius.

Southern Thailand (West Coast)

During December 8-10, southern Thailand’s West Coast will see scattered thunderstorms and isolated period of heavy rain in most of the lower part of the region.

Winds will range between 15-35 kilometres per hour in speed. Waves will reach heights between one to two metres and more than two metres offshore.

During December 11-14, thunderstorms will cover 40-60% of southern Thailand’s West Coast. Winds will reach speeds between 15-35 kilometres per hour.

Waves will reach heights between one to two metres and more than two metres offshore.

The minimum temperature will range from 22-25° Celsius and maximum temperature will reach 26-33° Celsius.

Bangkok and its vicinity

During December 8-11, Bangkok and surrounding areas will be cool and experience some light rain. Wind speed is expected to range between 10-20 kilometres per hour.

The minimum temperature will range from 22-25° Celsius and maximum temperature will reach 30-34° Celsius.

During December 12-14, Bangkok will be cool and windy, with wind speed ranging between 10-25 kilometres per hour.

The minimum temperature will range from 18-22° Celsius and maximum temperature will reach 29-33° Celsius.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

In old money that's 65 to 72 Fahrenheit. The UK would be very happy with that!!!

Only people that live here will understand how cold that is!