Musical Genres & Ability to Entertain

Discussion, recommendations and reviews for music, movies, books and games. Creative arts, crafts and photography welcome.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Re: Musical Genres & Ability to Entertain

Post by handdrummer »

lindosfan1 wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 9:54 pm
handdrummer wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 8:49 pm Maybe I'm not being clear enough.

I DID NOT Say that artists didn't make music that appealed to older people, I said, they didn't make music FOR older people. They were and are writing for their peers.

Why is that so difficult to understand?
That has always been the case, when the Beatles and Stones started a lot of the over 60's were aghast at their music and the way they dressed.
I feel the same now, most music I hear on the radio is horrendous. Fashion wise the amount of people having tattoos all over there bodies. Influenced by the modern stars.
I do not understand grime,house, or shouting loud into a microphone very fast. I am getting old, for me the best musical period was from the late 50's to 1970,
From the '20s to '60s music had a broad appeal to all age groups but not all ethnic groups. From the mid-sixties onward there has been niche music and sometimes it crosses over to other niches.

By the '80s music was being homogenized due to accountants taking over the recording business and dictating what was allowed to be recorded and released.

With the advent of home-based digital recording and online access, anybody could record and have their music heard online.

Radio play became less important to a band's livelihood. Major touring still needed a large sales-based audience but a band could earn a living without a major tour. Today's tours are mainly by bands whose members are over 60*. It's like watching your grandfather play a gig and play the same songs, the same way he played them 40 yrs. ago.
*Yes, there are many exceptions. Beyonce and the Rappers and younger R&R bands et al.

For me, it's always the best period of music but I have a broad listening base that encompasses most of the world's music. If I had to listen to only Western pop music, I wouldn't.

Feel free to pick this apart and we can have a discussion. No insults or name-calling please. If I'm wrong I learn something.
lindosfan1
Deceased
Deceased

Post by lindosfan1 »

handrummer I agree with what you are saying. There never has been music that appealed to everybody. My first love is blues originating in the deep south of America, this merged into rock and roll and some modern singers, one in particular I like is Chris Rea. Recently I have been listening to Andre Rieu a completely different genre but both excellent.
The seems to be a shortage of good modern song writers.
Modern music has recently had a lot of bad publicity with rap singers, For me that noise is crap cannot be described as music.
Other modern bands and singers I like, Adele, Beautiful south, Snow patrol, Artic monkeyss and others.
The whole point of what I said it is down to personal taste, through the years tastes and music changes some we like and some we dislike, nobody is wrong.
:cheers:
Woke up this morning breathing that's a good start to the day.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

lindosfan1 wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 4:04 am handrummer I agree with what you are saying. There never has been music that appealed to everybody. My first love is blues originating in the deep south of America, this merged into rock and roll and some modern singers, one in particular I like is Chris Rea. Recently I have been listening to Andre Rieu a completely different genre but both excellent.
The seems to be a shortage of good modern song writers.
Modern music has recently had a lot of bad publicity with rap singers, For me that noise is crap cannot be described as music.
Other modern bands and singers I like, Adele, Beautiful south, Snow patrol, Artic monkeyss and others.
The whole point of what I said it is down to personal taste, through the years tastes and music changes some we like and some we dislike, nobody is wrong.
:cheers:
I can't listen to rap either. I've read a lot of the "lyrics" and most of them don't make sense to me but, I don't speak that language so I wouldn't expect them to.

Raps' origins are interesting. They go back to the African Griots, who would travel from village to village and bring the news and would do it by way of rhyming as that was the easiest method to remember all the stories. In the villages, they would be accompanied by drumming.

For the most part, I've stopped listening to pop music and rarely listen to the music I grew up playing. I'm not into nostalgia. My roots are in Blues, R&B, Jazz, Classical of most eras, and Hungarian Gypsy music.

My youngest daughter is into Korean boy bands and they seem silly and fake to me. My eldest is a classical pianist so we have a lot in common. She's also open to a lot of different music. She can't improvise so she doesn't understand Jazz but most eras of pop music appeal to her, especially those of a romantic bent.

There are so many genres of music that there's enought for everyone to listen to.
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

I DID NOT Say that artists didn't make music that appealed to older people, I said, they didn't make music FOR older people. They were and are writing for their peers.

It isnt. I just disagree with it. Why is that so difficult for you to understand?

"They were and are writing for their peers"

Says you. You can make statements like that, and opine this, if you want. But you really make it sound like fact. Which it isnt.

"Noone since The Beatles(under 25)"..... 60 years of worldwide music, noone. Really?

Also your comment about sound & lyrics is again an opinion. I would say music is 95% sound and 5% lyrics. I dont care what the lyrics say or mean its the sound for me. So you may not connect with the lyrics but others might or may not care. To disqualify some on the grounds that their sound is acceptable but their lyrics arent is highly personal.

And that's my point. Music is for the individual, it shouldnt really be categorised, analysed or pigeon holed. It's either liked or it isnt. It's neither right nor wrong.

Unless it's Ed Sheeran(hahaha)

ps im just curious, why did you request no name calling or insults? I found that interesting after you made a somewhat ageist comment to me....
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

Just to keep this kinda pointless thread going I've just downloaded the latest Black Keys album and I would defy anyone who claims it's targeted at any particular audience. Just damn fine music!
Here's a likkle taster..
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

thecolonel wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 10:15 am

It isnt. I just disagree with it. Why is that so difficult for you to understand?

"They were and are writing for their peers"

Says you. You can make statements like that, and opine this, if you want. But you really make it sound like fact. Which it isnt.

"Noone since The Beatles(under 25)"..... 60 years of worldwide music, noone. Really?

Also your comment about sound & lyrics is again an opinion. I would say music is 95% sound and 5% lyrics. I dont care what the lyrics say or mean its the sound for me. So you may not connect with the lyrics but others might or may not care. To disqualify some on the grounds that their sound is acceptable but their lyrics arent is highly personal.

And that's my point. Music is for the individual, it shouldnt really be categorised, analysed or pigeon holed. It's either liked or it isnt. It's neither right nor wrong.

Unless it's Ed Sheeran(hahaha)

ps im just curious, why did you request no name calling or insults? I found that interesting after you made a somewhat ageist comment to me....
If they aren't writing music for their peers are they writing for posterity? Musicians have always written for their peers, I don't know of anyone who's written music for their grandparents and I spent 65 yrs. in the music business. Maybe you're experience is different.

What was the "somewhat ageist comment?" Is that like a little bit pregnant? If the comment was ageist, at 83 yrs. of age I feel entitled.

As to the rest of your comments, I was their peers, so my opinion does hold some weight and you are free to disagree.

Would you please name some writers who are writing for the masses? I'm sure there are some but I suspect that most of them are older than 25. Bonnie Raitt comes to mind. I don't know if Paul Simon and Randy Newman have written any new material, Dylan a few songs in his later years but I'm talking about initial impulses. Once writers become successful they attempt to expand their audiences and no longer want to just hold their hands or Work On Maggie's Farm. Again, considering your age, you're free to disagree. :)
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

sateeb wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 4:16 pm Just to keep this kinda pointless thread going I've just downloaded the latest Black Keys album and I would defy anyone who claims it's targeted at any particular audience. Just damn fine music!
Here's a likkle taster..
I guess that music is a bit like food - what one person likes another dislikes. I wouldn’t say I disliked the Black Keys track you provided, but I doubt that I’ll listen to it again.

Regarding the subject as a whole, I have a number of favourite artists but even people as famous as the Beatles, some of their tracks I find quite unpleasant so in my mind I might like “x”% of an artists music but very unlikely that I’ll enjoy everything they produce!!
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

Dannie Boy wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 6:46 pm
sateeb wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 4:16 pm Just to keep this kinda pointless thread going I've just downloaded the latest Black Keys album and I would defy anyone who claims it's targeted at any particular audience. Just damn fine music!
Here's a likkle taster..
I guess that music is a bit like food - what one person likes another dislikes. I wouldn’t say I disliked the Black Keys track you provided, but I doubt that I’ll listen to it again.

Regarding the subject as a whole, I have a number of favourite artists but even people as famous as the Beatles, some of their tracks I find quite unpleasant so in my mind I might like “x”% of an artists music but very unlikely that I’ll enjoy everything they produce!!
No problem DB if you don't like their particular brand. The point I was trying to make is that there are many artists NOT targeting any particular age group. Another one just off the top of my head is Gary Clark Jr. Enjoy if you can.

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.