Internet Browsers 2021

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
PeteC

Internet Browsers 2021

Post by PeteC »

We have old threads, most from 2016, preaching the + & - of various browsers. Perhaps time to update that with the current offerings and what people think of what they are using.

I have been a fan of Opera for quite a few years but recently began to use https://brave.com/ Its speed is good and it can be customized, and it has a unique advertising bonus scheme. I didn't use it that long to report much else on it.

I just recently switched to Vivaldi https://vivaldi.com/ . This browser has been a work in progress since about 2016 and made by one of the original founders of Opera. It has just about everything you can think of, and is faster than Brave and Opera. I've settled on it and it will be my main choice in months to come, or until something happens to make it unstable.

Some people have said that Firefox has had a remake and is faster, and many like Edge. I can't comment on those two.

Over to you for comments on any of them based upon your user experience. :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
buksida

Re: Browsers 2020

Post by buksida »

Firefox has improved a lot since its bulk years and Chrome has deteriorated and got fatter and slower IMO (maybe all that Google data hoovering slowing it down). The advantage of Chrome is that you can login to your Google account and import all your settings, extensions, and passwords - but you can now also do this with a Firefox account.

Won't go near anything made by M$, but have played with Brave and am impressed by its speed and privacy (and crypto earning potential).

Market share info here, Chrome still dominant: https://netmarketshare.com/browser-market-share.aspx
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Re: Internet Browsers 2020

Post by dtaai-maai »

I tend to stick with the familiar unless there's a good reason not to, and I've used Firefox as my main browser for some years now. I installed it on my new PC (:dance: :rasta:) the other day and my passwords, bookmarks, etc. were transferred with it, a very simple process.

I use Opera for its free VPN when I'm downloading from sites where, erm, discretion is required here in the UK.

I've never tried Edge as a matter of principle.
This is the way
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

I've been using DuckDuckGo for about 6 months. No advertising and they don't sell your info. It's fast enough for me but my only comparisons are google and MS. Privacy and lack of adverts are more important to me than speed. I only use my computer for email and searches.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Some useful information here.....

The best web browsers for 2020

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing ... i-vs-edge/
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Re: Internet Browsers 2021

Post by PeteC »

Seeing BB's post on ads flooding the Ford Truck link it reminded me that I've now settled on Firefox and am more than satisfied. Stable and fast enough for me. They have a very good free ad blocker in their app download library and the mentioned Ford Truck link using no VPN shows no ads at all.

In addition you get away from all the Chrome/Google junk. :cheers:

php4rvr9WPM.jpg
php4rvr9WPM.jpg (15.38 KiB) Viewed 362 times
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I have an ad blocker, but UK TV won't play if I have it switched on.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Big Boy wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 1:34 pm I have an ad blocker, but UK TV won't play if I have it switched on.
Erm, can't you switch it off...?
This is the way
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

You don't need to switch things totally off, just "disable" it for a particular web address. It remembers the address and switches off automatically when you go to it.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Correct. I also have an adblocker but some sites recognise that and ask you to switch it off before they will continue. As Pete says, if you take a note of the sites then you can list them as an exception to the adblocker.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

dtaai-maai wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 1:40 pm
Big Boy wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 1:34 pm I have an ad blocker, but UK TV won't play if I have it switched on.
Erm, can't you switch it off...?
Erm, I think that might be why I'm getting the ads.

Points 51; Position 21
buksida

Post by buksida »

I'm still using Brave, which is a skinny version of Chrome that blocks all the ads, scripts, and Google snooping by default. May give Firefox another whirl though.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

HHTel wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 1:52 pm Correct. I also have an adblocker but some sites recognise that and ask you to switch it off before they will continue. As Pete says, if you take a note of the sites then you can list them as an exception to the adblocker.
I've had a look, and maybe. I will have to experiment.

Points 51; Position 21
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I've looked, and as I have the VPN working on several devices, and my browser is synced across each device, one solution wouldn't fit each device, so probably better leaving the ad blocker off most of the time. I can switch it on when I really need it. If a video is full of ads, its easier not to watch it unless I'm really interested.

Points 51; Position 21
huahin4ever
Ace
Ace

Post by huahin4ever »

The last year I have switched to Edge and have to say I'm very satisfied. Sync across all platforms and latest tests show that it is one of the fastest browsers. It is based on the Chromium same as Google Chrome.

YNWA

YNWA