Vaccines - Covid 19

Temporary sub-forum for all news, updates, developments and discussion on Coronavirus/Covid-19 in Hua Hin, Thailand and globally. Any and all topics on the outbreak will be moved into this forum for ease of information access.

Full time or part time foreign residents of Thailand which vaccine(s) have you or will you receive?

______First__________________
No votes
AstraZeneca
15%
Johnson & Johnson
1%
Moderna
1%
Pfizer
18%
Sinopharm
1%
Sinovac
14%
Other
No votes
______Second________________
No votes
AstraZeneca
25%
Moderna
3%
Pfizer
20%
Sinopharm
1%
Sinovac
No votes
Other
No votes

Total votes: 79

buksida

Re: Vaccines - Covid 19

Post by buksida »

Inoculation effort fails to impress
As various countries start to see positive results from mass vaccination programmes, Thais are getting angry following a surge in infections last week, prompting concerns about the possibility of stringent government measures to control the latest outbreak.

Businesses believe several factors are to blame for the latest outbreak, but by far the greatest one is slow-moving inoculation efforts by the authorities.

As of April 7, Thailand had 323,989 doses of vaccine administered to its population, the equivalent of half a dose for every 100 people, according to the Our World in Data project at the University of Oxford. Only 0.4% of the population had been vaccinated at this point in time.

Israel was in pole position in terms of inoculation efforts with 114 doses per 100 people, with 59% of its population inoculated against Covid-19.

In Asean, Thailand was in eighth position. Singapore led with 27 doses per 100 people, followed by Indonesia (5), Malaysia (2.6), Cambodia (1.8 ), the Philippines (0.8 ), Myanmar (0.7 ), and Laos (0.6).

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/20 ... to-impress

Says it all really - a country on the verge of civil war is still ahead of Thailand for vaccinations ...
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
brianks
Guru
Guru

Post by brianks »

I contacted Bangkok Hospital and they said they had ordered Sinovac (yuck) and Astra Zeneca vaccines. Both are among the lowest in effectiveness of the lot.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I think its all we're likely to see in Thailand for a while. Did they say how to reserve?
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

brianks wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:37 am I contacted Bangkok Hospital and they said they had ordered Sinovac (yuck) and Astra Zeneca vaccines. Both are among the lowest in effectiveness of the lot.
I thought the Astra Zeneca vaccine came out fairly well overall - maybe not quite on a par with Pfizer but certainly better than Sinovac? Given a choice, I’d certainly opt for AZ, regardless of the very low (possible) links to blood clots.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Vaccines.jpeg
Vaccines.jpeg (470.6 KiB) Viewed 364 times
This was back in February and certainly Sinovac doesn't fair well:
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Chile has largely based its vaccination programme on Sinovac and the results are not promising, though it could be down to unlocking too soon.

The UK's programme has mostly used Pfizer and AZ and England is now starting to unlock (still too soon in some opinions). Deaths and hospital admissions are way down. We shall soon see how effective the, as yet unfinished, vaccination programme is.
GroveHillWanderer
Guru
Guru

Post by GroveHillWanderer »

brianks wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:37 am I contacted Bangkok Hospital and they said they had ordered Sinovac (yuck) and Astra Zeneca vaccines. Both are among the lowest in effectiveness of the lot.
You can't really directly compare efficacy rates from different vaccines that were tested at different time periods, in different countries, with differently-designed trials incorporating different clinical end-points.

Probably the most important point to note about the vaccines (at least from an individual standpoint) is that they all provide virtually 100% efficacy against serious illness, hospitalisation or death.

Also, real world data from over a million people vaccinated in the UK (as opposed to only some thousands in the clinical trials) actually showed the AstraZeneca vaccine to be more effective than the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine, at least in that population, in that time period.

https://www.ox.ac.uk/news/2021-02-22-co ... world-data
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

brianks wrote:I contacted Bangkok Hospital and they said they had ordered Sinovac (yuck) and Astra Zeneca vaccines. Both are among the lowest in effectiveness of the lot.
Surely they will be in the queue behind the government for at least AZ if not Sinovac. Or will there be some rearranging of deliveries depending on brown envelope contents? AZ has to deliver 60 million doses to Thai gov first, and possibly other customers in the region.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

On the subject of vaccines maybe someone with the government's ear (or at least awareness) started asking searching questions about plans for vaccination of foreigners, especially those with Thai families. Richard Barrow springs to mind as one such person.

Mass AZ vaccinations are supposed to start in June with second doses starting September. This may be long before private hospitals have enough for the resident foreign population. So spouses of foreigners may be protected but still capable of being infected and passing the disease to their spouses. A situation that is not ideal, and could endure for many months.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I'm guessing money will talk. If they can sell it at 10x the cost they sell it to the Govt, I'm sure they'll divert a few doses. BH will still make their profit, be sure of that.

Points 51; Position 21
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Some foodstuffs are price controlled so maybe vaccines should be as well.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

In one of those articles earlier today there was reference to 2,000 Baht per dose from the private hospitals regardless of what vaccine they offer. I'll quote it if I see it again.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Are you sure that wasn't medication to treat Covid?

Points 51; Position 21
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Big Boy wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:48 pm Are you sure that wasn't medication to treat Covid?
No, It was for the vaccine. I've been looking for it again. I read so many damn articles in a day's time I can't always remember where I've seen it. It didn't strike me as something to post separately as I thought it was part of one of the articles already posted. I'll continue the quest later on.....
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I can't find the story I'm thinking of now, but I thought it was vaccines when I read it as well.

Points 51; Position 21