Flying to/from Thailand (Covid Era)

Sub-forum for discussion on air travel, airports, and airlines.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Re: Flying into Thailand, latest updates

Post by handdrummer »

“We are confident that international travelers will be able to visit Thailand from Oct. 15 onwards. We are ready to reopen,” he said.

Able? Yes. Willing? We'll see.

I like the part about tracking devices and minders at all times. Welcome to Chinaland.

How many minders will fit in one hotel room?

I'd love to make a satirical movie about the return of tourism to Thailand. I'd resurrect the Goons and Monty Python and add Mr. Bean to the mix. The Lavender Hill mob & Terry Thomas would be a good addition also.
PET
Legend
Legend

Post by PET »

If it is true one requirement is that the tourists home country has had no Covid infections for the previous 3 months etc etc --IT IS A NON STARTER, forgetting all the other requirements !!
Courage is grace under pressure and when circumstances change you change your mind.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Yes, not even New Zealand would qualify then.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

PeteC wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:10 pm Yes, not even New Zealand would qualify then.
Nor Thailand!!!
Talk is cheap
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

It was my post and I did say that I didn’t think it had a hope of working, however the article does say “ they must come from countries with low risk of COVID-19 and no local infections in the last three months,” which could mean that the local area has been free of infection rather than the whole country. Irrespective though, it still has almost no chance of working - and they say they are ready to commence from the 15th October - tomorrow!!
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Dannie Boy wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:31 pm It was my post and I did say that I didn’t think it had a hope of working, however the article does say “ they must come from countries with low risk of COVID-19 and no local infections in the last three months,” which could mean that the local area has been free of infection rather than the whole country. Irrespective though, it still has almost no chance of working - and they say they are ready to commence from the 15th October - tomorrow!!
The ubiquitous "they" may be ready but if no one can qualify, what difference does it make? Lotta chatter or, as Willie the Shake said, Much Ado About Nothing.
PGS

Post by PGS »

PET wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:05 pm If it is true one requirement is that the tourists home country has had no Covid infections for the previous 3 months etc etc --IT IS A NON STARTER, forgetting all the other requirements !!
Only allowed into Thailand, will be the Antarctic Penguins, lucky bastards
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Get ready for a huge influx of tourists from The Falklands!
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Apparently, the first tourists are arriving today.........

5pm today – that’s the time the first groups of “tourists” will arrive at Bangkok’s Suvarnabhumi Airport. The Minister of Tourism and Sports, Phiphat Ratchakitprakarn, announced the arrival of the first group of tourists to arrive in the Kingdom since borders where locked in March. He said they wouldn’t needn’t worry about the political unrest currently rocking the capital, pointing out that the protests are peaceful.

The tourists departing from Shanghai, China and arriving in Bangkok’s Suvarnabhumi Airport (BKK) will only be in Thailand for 30 days, Tourism Authority of Thailand Governor Yuthasak Supasorn says.

They’ll spend half that time locked up in quarantine for 14 days. Today’s flight today is reported to include 41 people who have applied for their visa through the new STV, Special Tourist Visa.

Phiphat says that in total, 400 international tourists, primarily Chinese, will arrive in Thailand by early November. All will be tested and whisked off for 14 day quarantine on arrival, in addition to having to endure copious amounts of paperwork before they even get here.

A plan to admit Chinese tourists earlier this month hit a small snag when it emerged not a single one had applied for the government’s newly-launched Special Tourist Visa.

The tourism minister says the first group to arrive are doing so as part of a “conditional entry” program and are arriving from a region in China that “has been free of the Covid-19 virus for several months now”. It’s understood the visitors have been specially chosen and approved for entry by the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration.

Additional tourists are expected to arrive on October 26, when another group lands in Phuket. The later arrival in Phuket was to coincide with the end of this years Vegetarian Festival celebrations.

Phiphat says the October 26 arrivals are also coming from “very low risk” areas.

More here - including many dubious comments!!

https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/tourism ... k-tomorrow
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

The Tourism Authority of Thailand has announced today an update about compulsory Covid-19 insurance. They say it’s now “conveniently” available online in a one-stop-shop. Up to now the compulsory Covid-19 insurance, a pre-requisite before foreigners can come to Thailand, under any visa, was through selected insurance providers at their own websites. The Thailand Office of Insurance Commission has allowed the review of its policy, making it easier to find and purchase the compulsory insurance.

“Foreign travellers will enjoy the following advantages of purchasing an OIC-endorsed medical insurance policy, which is available online HERE.” https://covid19.tgia.org

The update provides additional clarity and ease for people looking to travel to Thailand at this time.

“The Tourism Authority of Thailand is pleased to share the latest announcement that foreign visitors will be able to purchase compulsory Covid-19 insurance policy online prior to visiting the Kingdom.”

TAT Governor, Yuthasak Supasorn says the compulsory insurance is part of any package of documents that will need to be completed by foreigners entering Thailand at this time.

“A medical insurance policy with at least US$100,000 coverage or about 3.16 million baht for possible Covid-19 treatment is among the official documents required from foreign visitors planning to visit Thailand.”

“TAT hopes the Covid-19 insurance protection program, under the regulation of the OIC, offers additional peace-of-mind for foreign visitors and hopefully makes it easier for inbound travellers before departing from their country of origin.”

https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/tat- ... n-visitors
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
fft100
Professional
Professional

Post by fft100 »

The small print is interesting. Only covers covid 19. And doesn't appear to include ICU cost (!).

" This limitation does not apply to hospitalization in an I.C.U. according to the medical necessity."

Also appears that even if you have $1m insurance coverage (incl covid) elsewhere, you still need to buy this.

The price is not age dependent, but location !!!!
Spain (age 1-99) is 43,000 baht for 1 year
Germany (age 1-99) is 23,000 for 1 year.
USA is also 43,000

Isn't the whole purpose of the pre tests before flying and quarantine here (all at the flyer's cost) to completely level the playing field for people flying in ?
Blot
Amateur
Amateur

Re: Coronavirus (Covid-19) News

Post by Blot »

I want to spend Christmas in Hong Kong with my family so need to book a flight now if I am going.

Questions: Will Hong Kong allow me in, and more importantly; Will Thailand allow me to return ?

Any answers or help will be gratefully received.
PeteC

Re: Coronavirus (Covid-19) News

Post by PeteC »

Blot wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:23 pm If this post is in the wrong sector, please accept my apologies. I want to spend Christmas in Hong Kong with my family so need to book a flight now if I am going.

Questions: Will Hong Kong allow me in, and more importantly; Will Thailand allow me to return ?

Any answers or help will be gratefully received.
I know this is an emotional subject, and driven by emotion to be with your family. My gut instinct unfortunately is to say forget it due to the complications. See below for Hong Kong. It appears that at minimum you will need to quarantine there for 14 days. I also don't think there are any scheduled flights out of Thailand to Hong Kong, or to anywhere. Just repatriation flights and charters. Ditto for incoming flights.

https://www.coronavirus.gov.hk/eng/inbound-travel.html

Getting back in to Thailand you would have to go through the whole procedure concerning visas, certifications, medical testing, permission from the Thai embassy, and quarantine once you get back here. I wish I could be more optimistic and helpful.

Perhaps someone has a more positive perspective from their experience?
ahandpatsy
Professional
Professional

Post by ahandpatsy »

Still not seen any pictures of chinese tourist to thailand. Dont believe it now
caller
Hero
Hero

Re: Thailand tourist slump continues

Post by caller »

Meanwhile, BA suspends all flights to Bkk until November 2021.

https://mainlymiles.com/2020/12/17/brit ... -november/
Talk is cheap