Coronavirus Precautions/News/Updates for Hua Hin/Prachuap

Temporary sub-forum for all news, updates, developments and discussion on Coronavirus/Covid-19 in Hua Hin, Thailand and globally. Any and all topics on the outbreak will be moved into this forum for ease of information access.
J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Re: Wuhan Virus Precautions

Post by J.J.B. »

Big Boy wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:29 pm (anybody know what that number is?)
With a calibrated temporal thermometer, which measures the temperature of the temporal artery under the surface of the forehead and not the skin surface, you would get a lower reading of body temperature than from an oral or rectal reading. So anything over 36.5°C would indicate a fever. If you had a reading of 38.5°C from a proper temporal thermometer, you’d be unlikely to be capable of walking into Makro.

Temporal readings are generally considered inaccurate but quick and easy to perform while also being non-invasive. This could be an exercise in being seen to do the right thing when not actually doing anything at all. You know, propaganda.
"A man who does not think for himself, does not think at all."
Wilde
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I would post what is happening with Thailand's quarantine for arrivals from target countries, but it has been changing hourly with each article I read. :banghead:

Perhaps by tonight or in the morning we'll have a clear ruling and implementation guidelines.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

PeteC wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:01 pm I would post what is happening with Thailand's quarantine for arrivals from target countries, but it has been changing hourly with each article I read. :banghead:

Perhaps by tonight or in the morning we'll have a clear ruling and implementation guidelines.
This article implies that an official order has been passed for arrivals from six countries:
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-heal ... SKBN20S1SV
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Here's more. The Public Health Ministry just made announcements an hour or so ago and I guess it's the same or close to what Reuters is reporting. I didn't compare line for line.

https://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/cri ... rritories/
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Reading the Thai news publications, there seems to be a lot of resistance to bringing people to the province to serve their isolation after being repatriated from S.Korea. I'll attach one link, but there are several all saying basically the same https://www.newtv.co.th/news/50746?fbcl ... eI6hkzDpI4

Personally, I don't have a problem i.e. they'll be monitored in a safe, secure environment. They have to go somewhere, and this is certainly safer than trusting them to self-isolate.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

If it's accurate, the Reuters report states that this was in Thursdays Royal Gazette which would mean it's an actual ruling and not just a statement from an official.
If that's the case I'll head out there this week because that list doesn't include Germany or France and I was a bit worried about the fact that I'm coming from Luxembourg and the ability of people at the airport to know that it's a country and not part of Germany or France!
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Tell them it's in Belgium. :)
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

hhinner wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:18 pm Tell them it's in Belgium. :)
I'd already thought of that!
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

STEVE G wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:58 pm
hhinner wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:18 pm Tell them it's in Belgium. :)
I'd already thought of that!
Maybe you should be more concerned about being able to return to work after your break!
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Confusion again, as usual....

Quarantine 'recommended' but enforcement unclear

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... nt-unclear

Authorities scrambled on Friday to ease worries about new self-quarantine measures for arrivals from six virus-hit countries and territories, a day after announcing compulsory isolation.

But confusion persists over whether the government is ordering or merely “recommending” self-quarantine for 14 days, with punishment for travellers who ignore the “advice”.

South Korea, China, Macau, Hong Kong, Italy and Iran on Thursday were officially designated as “dangerous communicable disease areas”.

Public Health Ministry spokesman Rungrueng Kiphati told Reuters on Thursday that people arriving from those six places would be fined 20,000 baht if they did not self-quarantine for 14 days at home or in a hotel room, “where they have to report themselves to the authorities every day or officials will come to check on them”.

On Friday, however, other ministry officials took a slightly softer line.

“For now, we are recommending people to exercise home quarantine. But if you don’t follow that, then we will use the law to take you to government quarantine centres,” said Sukhum Kanchanapimai, the ministry’s permanent secretary.

The government's Public Relations Department, meanwhile, appeared to be reading from a different script. On its verified Twitter account on Friday, it repeated the threat of a 20,000-baht fine for those who failed to self-quarantine.

Tanarak Plipat, deputy director-general of the Department of Disease Control, told reporters the health ministry would issue regulations requiring all arrivals from the six areas to report their health condition daily.

“If people don’t follow the rules or falsely report their condition, like they have a cough but said they do not, then they would be breaching an official order and that will be punishable,” he said, adding that the daily health report could be done by phone, mobile app, or other channels that the ministry will create.

The ministry also said the measures could become stricter depending on the circumstances.

On Tuesday, Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul had posted on his Facebook page that all arrivals from Japan, Germany, South Korea, China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, France, Singapore, Italy or Iran “must be quarantined for 14 days” — before deleting the post just a few hours later.

Over the following two days, officials pared down the list of targeted countries to six but continued to send mixed messages about exactly what travellers from those locations could expect when they reached Thailand.

Other ministries have issued different regulations on home quarantine.

The Education Ministry recommended to schools that children who had travelled from France, Germany, Japan, Singapore or Taiwan stay home under quarantine, according to an email sent to parents on Friday from the International School of Bangkok, even though the health ministry did not recommend this.

Meanwhile, the Public Health Ministry said people coming from Japan, Taiwan, Singapore, France, Germany, Spain, Switzerland, Netherlands and the United States are recommended — rather than required — to quarantine themselves for 14 days.

The Hong Kong-based airline Cathay Pacific said in an advisory that travellers from China, Hong Kong, Macau, South Korea, Iran and Italy “are allowed to enter” Thailand but have to self-quarantine at their hotel or residence.

The tourism-reliant economy is reeling from the travel curbs sparked by Covid-19, which globally has infected almost 100,000 people and killed over 3,000.

The Tourism Authority of Thailand confirmed Thursday the country could see a loss of six million visitors in 2020.

The country reported one new case of infection on Friday, taking its total to 48. There has been one fatality, while 16 people remain in hospital and the rest have been discharged.

But the number detected has remained surprisingly low, in a country visited by tens of millions of people each year.

Speculation is pointing at a limited testing regime in a country determined not to frighten off visitors.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

PeteC wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:58 am I think this is the first of many that will cancel or restrict activities.

Chon Buri’s Bangsaen district cancels all official Songkran activities

https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/songkra ... activities
More follow now...... I think it's a given all the big locations will have little to nothing this year.

Pattaya, Bang Saen, Khon Kaen scrap Songkran parties

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... an-parties
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

...and another it seems:

"Phuket’s Patong cancels official Songkran celebrations

All official Songkran events in Phuket’s Patong municipality, including the “Songkran on the Beach” play zone and the DJ dance party have been cancelled"........

https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/songkra ... ran-events
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Some of the forum's older members might like to read this article from the BBC. Obviously all the NHS references don't apply here.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51703892
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Some of the forum's older members
There are younger members on this forum!!!???.... lol
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

The Drive-Thru Facility sounded good, but I wonder how it works. A friend was rushed to hospital in the UK earlier this week with suspected Covid-19. Thankfully, he tested negative. However, it took 24 hours to get his results back. I'm just curious whether any of our UK members know how the Drive-Thru Facility works.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance: