Covid-19 News & Updates (Thailand and Southeast Asia only)

Temporary sub-forum for all news, updates, developments and discussion on Coronavirus/Covid-19 in Hua Hin, Thailand and globally. Any and all topics on the outbreak will be moved into this forum for ease of information access.
PeteC

Re: New Chinese virus 'will have infected hundreds'

Post by PeteC »

thecolonel wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:30 pm I see some poor Brit lad has got it in Phuket(he was on phi phi)..... worrying times with Chinese New year coming!

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk
Do you have a link for that News? That's a very big deal if correct and there is nothing I can find this early morning in any publication. Thanks
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Lost
Addict
Addict

Post by Lost »

I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Thanks. Let's wait to see if it's confirmed.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

If this is the same virus, it means that Wuhan, China may not be the origin of the virus as this man has not been there and has been hospitalized for a month. I think the outbreak in Wuhan is about 2-3 weeks old.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Look at the source of the article Bamboo. I don't believe it until I see confirmation published elsewhere.

If you read through the DM article they water down the possibility it's the same thing as the article goes on. "Don't know when the tests for corona virus will be back..." :roll:
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

Sorry, Pete. It was written in a haste before leaving for work. This one is now in similar situation just before work starts. I was mainly doubting that assumption that the Phuket case would be the same virus as that in Wuhan based on the situation and that the Phuket case is older than the Wuhan ones.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

:thumb: Nothing to be sorry for. S%@t publications that can't be trusted nor accurate just piss me off. Did my attitude manifest itself? :laugh:
Lost
Addict
Addict

Post by Lost »

PeteC wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:42 am Look at the source of the article Bamboo. I don't believe it until I see confirmation published elsewhere.
Yup... apart from the sports section it is mostly garbage sensationalism written for the lower class masses.
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Note: Due to the volume of stories this epidemic is generating only links should be given going forward unless the story has something in it to make it Thailand specific. Post any personal comment you want to make along with the link.

New China virus: Fourth person dies as human-to-human transfer confirmed

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-51185836
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I heard on the BBC news today that it is now confirmed that this virus can pass from human to human. The Chinese government has finally admitted to 'thousands' of cases. They still don't know the source.
Very worrying.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

As a Dad I am overly cautious to be sure. This weekend the daughter's friend had a birthday party planned in Pattaya, Saturday...Chinese New Year.

Between the 24th and the 30th 250,000 Chinese tourists celebrating their Spring Festival break are expected to pass through Pattaya.

The girl's parents have agreed to put the party off until the weekend of Feb. 1-2.

With something like this you can't be too cautious. Us old farts probably need to be more cautious than the teenagers! :D
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Extra precautions as human transmission of new virus confirmed

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... -confirmed

Health officials are taking precautions to protect themselves against the new coronavirus after China confirmed it can be transmitted between humans.

Dr Tanarak Plipat, deputy director-general of the Disease Control Department, said on Tuesday that medical personnel would be advised on how to guard against infection by the novel coronavirus, which has been designated 2019-nCoV by the World Health Organization.

Chinese authorities on Tuesday confirmed it could be transmitted between humans.

Health officials would also have to quickly identify and closely monitor people who came into close contact with patients, he said.

Health experts would discuss what additional measures were needed to cope with the disease, he said.

Dr Tanarak confirmed a report that a Thai man fell ill after returning from the Chinese city of Wuhan, where the mysterious virus infection was first reported. The man was being treated in Nakhon Pathom province, but officials had yet to confirm if he was infected with the virus, Dr Tanarak said.

Meanwhile, health officials were continuing to screen arrivals from Wuhan, Beijing and Shenzhen, areas where infection by the novel coronavirus was reported, he said.

Dr Tanarak said about 16,000 Chinese arrive in Thailand on a daily basis. About 30 people had been placed in quarantine this month on suspicion of being infected by the novel coronavirus.

To date, two Chinese women who arrived in separate tour groups on flights from Wuhan have been confirmed infected with the virus - a 61-year-old and a 74-year-old.

The director of communicable diseases, Dr Sopon Iamsirithawon, said a British man had been treated for influenza and lung infection in Phuket, but it was a bacterial infection -- not a case of the novel virus as reported by a UK tabloid newspaper. The man had not visited Wuhan, he said.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

This an informative site for latest updates: -

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 93796.html

Also including a statement regarding Ashley Shorley from the UK: -

"Ash Shorley, 32, was reportedly taken to hospital in Phuket late last month for a pneumonia-like infection. “Ashley traveled to Thailand for a break and has ended up very poorly in hospital with a flu virus that has resulted in a collapsed lung and the possible need for an operation to remove the infected part of the lungs,” a statement reads on the page.

Mr Shorley’s parents told The Sun that they are awaiting test results to see if he has been infected by coronavirus."
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

The doctors are now saying that he doesn't have the Chinese coronavirus but an extreme case of flu'.
I would take that with 'a pinch of salt'.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

HHTel wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:14 pm The doctors are now saying that he doesn't have the Chinese coronavirus but an extreme case of flu'.
I would take that with 'a pinch of salt'.
One hell of a case of flu with a collapsed lung etc!! :roll:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.