'How To' - Requirements for visa extensions etc

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Re: Retirement Visa Extension and Transferwise

Post by Dannie Boy »

huahin4ever wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:28 pm
Dannie Boy wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:19 am
Scout wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:43 am

2 years ago I was advised I could do the extension 45 days before the due date and confirmed it for the last 2 years.
I agree that it is 45 days, however the point being made by Nereus and HHT was that irrespective of the number of days in advance you can apply for the extension, using the seasoning period up to the last day of validity of the current extension of stay is taking a huge risk, just in case something goes wrong in this ever-changing world of Immigration rules and regulations.
When I renewed my Marriage visa last year I came earlier than 30 days but under 45 days prior to expiry. I was not allowed to do the extension before it was within the 30 days. This was in February 2018. Did it change after that?
I went to the Tha Yang IO in early July this year for a re-entry permit and asked at the time what was the earliest I could renew my extension of stay next year and was told 45 days
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

If you continue to renew your visa 45 days early, every yr., in 8 yrs. you will have lost 1 yr. Or is my math wrong?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Renewing early loses nothing. I always renew 1 month early, and receive 13 months to my next renewal.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

As BB says, the extension is for 12 months from the expiration date stamped in your passport and you are allowed to renew up to 45 days early, as per Tha Yang I.O.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Thank you gentlemen.

The reason I thought that is because when you do your 90 day parole reporting, they count the next 90 days from the day you report and not from the day of expiry.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

handdrummer wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:42 am Thank you gentlemen.

The reason I thought that is because when you do your 90 day parole reporting, they count the next 90 days from the day you report and not from the day of expiry.
It’s called “Thai consistency”.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

It’s called “Thai consistency”.

Well, that's politer than BS.
Chazz14
Professional
Professional

Post by Chazz14 »

"90 day parole reporting" - yeah, that's exactly what it is!
cheshiremusicman2
Novice
Novice

Post by cheshiremusicman2 »

Thank you all for your input re the 'Seasoning period'. I will have the money in the bank some 2 weeks prior to the 2 month seasoning period required and will go to HH IMO some 10 days before my renewal is due, just to cover any possible problems.
huahin4ever
Ace
Ace

Re: 'How To' - Requirements for visa extensions etc

Post by huahin4ever »

Has anyone renewed retirement/marriage visa lately within 45 days of expiry? I'm asking if Hua Hin Immigration has opened for this renewal within 45 days instead of 30 days of expiry.

YNWA

YNWA
barrys
Legend
Legend

Post by barrys »

I have 2 questions:

1. Is it possible after entering Thailand on a 30 day visa exempt stamp to convert to a visa allowing the applicant to stay in Thailand based on retirement?

2. Can a dependent child 'piggy back' on a retiree's visa, i.e. without having to have its own separate visa?

Thanks for any advice you may have.
PET
Legend
Legend

Post by PET »

NO to Q1
You need to obtain and OA Visa from a Thai embassy overseas and when you enter Thailand with it you need to apply for the Retirement Extension within 3 months and the money needs to have been in your personal Thai bank account at least 60 days ( it used to be 90 days I think)
Q2 It will depend upon the child's age but someone else can answer this
Courage is grace under pressure and when circumstances change you change your mind.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

PET wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:43 pm NO to Q1
You need to obtain and OA Visa from a Thai embassy overseas and when you enter Thailand with it you need to apply for the Retirement Extension within 3 months and the money needs to have been in your personal Thai bank account at least 60 days ( it used to be 90 days I think)
Not true according to the following:
by Gregjam » Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:35 pm https://www.huahinforum.com/viewtopic.p ... 92#p498392
I entered as visa exempt and obtained a non imm O at Hua Hin immigration based on income. Visa was stamped “retirement” and expires in February so one month before I will be extending it. As I don’t have time to run around getting insurance etc before I return to work I will visit Matt at AA and get some insurance that meets the requirements however when I extend will not produce the cert unless asked and will report how things went at the time. I do find the “retirement” category interesting particularly as I am not yet 60 and obviously still working.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
PET
Legend
Legend

Post by PET »

Nereus wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:07 pm
PET wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:43 pm NO to Q1
Not true according to the following:
by Gregjam » Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:35 pm https://www.huahinforum.com/viewtopic.p ... 92#p498392
I entered as visa exempt and obtained a non imm O at Hua Hin immigration based on income. Visa was stamped “retirement” and expires in February so one month before I will be extending it. As I don’t have time to run around getting insurance etc before I return to work I will visit Matt at AA and get some insurance that meets the requirements however when I extend will not produce the cert unless asked and will report how things went at the time. I do find the “retirement” category interesting particularly as I am not yet 60 and obviously still working.
Well two friends in the last month arrived with tourist visas then wanted to go for a retirement extension and were flatly refused. Both told they need OA visa first, which requires going out of the country and going to a Thai embassy. I was only speaking to one ot them about this yesterday.
Courage is grace under pressure and when circumstances change you change your mind.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Well two friends in the last month arrived with tourist visas then wanted to go for a retirement extension and were flatly refused. Both told they need OA visa first, which requires going out of the country and going to a Thai embassy. I was only speaking to one ot them about this yesterday.
There have been numerous people in several posts that have converted tourist visas to non-immigrant "0" visas. They still had to comply with the financial requirements, which you have not mentioned. You cannot obtain a "retirement extension" off a tourist visa, only off a non-immigrant visa of whatever flavour.

Yes, you need to obtain an "0-A" visa in your country of residence, information which has been posted many times. Maybe they asked for the wrong visa.

To convert a tourist visa to a non-immigrant "0" visa it needs to have 21 days remaining validity, and I suspect it was the same with the 30 day visa exempt entry. There is one post somewhere where immigration themselves have told somebody to do exactly that.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!