Baht’s strength dulls foreign interest in homes under 10 million

Ask here about the pleasures and pitfalls of buying, selling or renting property and real estate in Hua Hin. Building, design and construction topics welcome. Commercial or promotional posts for real estate companies or private properties are forbidden.
buksida

Baht’s strength dulls foreign interest in homes under 10 million

Post by buksida »

The baht’s appreciation against the yuan and dollar will have a direct impact on demand for residential units for the rest of the year, say property developers.

“Demand from overseas investors for residential units priced under Bt10 million has been dropping since the second quarter, and the baht has appreciated 8.07 per cent against the yuan, from Bt5 per yuan to Bt4.35 in August this year, while rising against the dollar by 5 per cent,” Prasert Taedullayasatit, chief executive at Pruksa Real Estate Plc, told The Nation recently.

He said residential prices had risen an average of 8 per cent in yuan terms and 5 per cent in dollar terms, curbing demand among foreign buyers for units under Bt10 million. But demand for luxury residences above that price is still growing, Prasert said, thanks to foreign investors looking for second homes in Thailand, particularly Hong Kong people wanting luxury condominiums in Bangkok amid the current political unrest in the Chinese territory.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/property/30375822

Looks like the thousands of villas in hua hin for sale will remain that way for a while ... unless they're all cranked up to 10 mil.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Re: Baht’s strength dulls foreign interest in homes under 10 million

Post by Nereus »

Looks like the thousands of villas in hua hin for sale will remain that way for a while ... unless they're all cranked up to 10 mil.
Now that's a good Thai idea! May try that one! :cheers:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I think the Thais are already ahead of you in that one. Several places in my road for sale at 3x the price I paid - nobody buying, of course :D
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

I've noticed that near where I live in Nong Khon, almost all of the smaller new houses that have been built recently have been bought by Thais.
Lost
Addict
Addict

Post by Lost »

Why would foreigners buy a house when they can't own the land it's on, they can't pass it down to any of their family and they (soon enough) can't get by all the visa restrictions to even live in the damn thing.

People aren't stupid.
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

... the baht has appreciated 8.07 per cent against the yuan, from Bt5 per yuan to Bt4.35 in August this year...
8.07% ??? Maths has changed since I learned it. Perhaps I'm figuring it wrong.