Hundreds of foreigners/teachers arrested in nationwide operation X-Ray Outlaw Foreigner

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
PeteC

Re: Hundreds of foreigners/teachers arrested in nationwide operation X-Ray Outlaw Foreigner

Post by PeteC »

When you renew a US passport here they give you an option to get an accompanying laminated "passport card" for a small fee. Does nothing to prove the type of visa you have, but at least shows the authorities who you are and where you're from. I think it's a mini copy of your photo page.

Whether it would be of any value in dealing with these official hunting parties is an unknown.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Re: Hundreds of foreigners/teachers arrested in nationwide operation X-Ray Outlaw Foreigner

Post by Dannie Boy »

I carry an electronic copy on my phone - passport, visa and last 90 day report pages - hopefully that would be suffice to get me home and present the real thing if requested.
centermid7
Banned
Banned

Post by centermid7 »

Pop into any copy shop and have them to make a copy of your passport page and the visa page that is reduced down to business card size. Place them front to back and have them to laminate it in plastic. Costs all of about 30 Bt. Easy to carry and will eliminate 99% of any problems.
buksida

Post by buksida »

That is exactly what I do, but apparently you're still an outlaw that needs to be deported in the eyes of some of the holier than thou on here!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

No violations were found.
So everybody in Pattaya's bars were carrying their passports last night :?

I'll bet the tea money tin is bulging at the seams this morning.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Personally I think there are far more important issues that should be addressed like giving use permanent residency rather than a maximum one year visa, or the potential 10 year visa.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
Phyton
Professional
Professional

Post by Phyton »

Since some years i have some picture on my smartphone. Passport page with my face, visa, stamps and TM6.
Easy to handle and renew next time holiday. same for my wife. For emergency, a copy too in google cloud.

So if i lost everything, i can access these important docs on any devices with internet access.
Greets,
Phyton
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

An advantage, I guess, of having an ID card (even if it is pink :shock: ).

Points 51; Position 21
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

StevePIraq wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:45 pm Personally I think there are far more important issues that should be addressed like giving use permanent residency rather than a maximum one year visa, or the potential 10 year visa.
There are conditions attached to getting PR. For many people, too many hoops to jump through, but it is in the realms of possibility. (Yes, I have PR)
วินเชนท์
buksida

Post by buksida »

Xray crackdown expanded across Thailand .... massive resources poured into it while people still burn to death in minivans and die in bus crashes almost daily ...

Over 1000 officers ‘x-ray’ same number of foreigners in Pathum Thani
To fulfil his vow to by the end of this month rid Thailand of 7,000 foreigners who have overstayed their visas, Acting Immigration Police chief Pol Maj-General Surachate Hakpal on Wednesday led some 1,000 officers to “x-ray” 25 locations in Pathum Thani’s Khlong Luang district.
http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/ ... s/30357094

Krabi crackdown nets 113 illegal foreigners
Krabi immigration officers headed to Koh Phi Phi yesterday to continue their crackdown on illegal foreigners.
http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/ ... s/30357092
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

VincentD wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:27 am
StevePIraq wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:45 pm Personally I think there are far more important issues that should be addressed like giving use permanent residency rather than a maximum one year visa, or the potential 10 year visa.
There are conditions attached to getting PR. For many people, too many hoops to jump through, but it is in the realms of possibility. (Yes, I have PR)
Yes I know it is possible but extremely difficult, in the mean time we buy homes, cars etc and have permission to stay here for 1 year max. Not a very smart investment.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
buksida

Post by buksida »

542 foreigners arrested in latest weekly crackdown
Police searched 262 locations around the country on Thursday and arrested 542 foreigners who have been living in Thailand illegally and/or committed criminal offences.

Pol Col Nithithorn Jintakanon, acting traffic police chief, held a press conference at 2.30am on Friday at the car park of the RCA (Royal City Avenue) entertainment complex near New Phetchaburi Road, Bangkok, to announce the results of the 25th Operation X-Ray Outlaw Foreigner.

He said 48 foreigners had been arrested for overstaying their visas, 262 for sneaking into the kingdom without a visa and 232 others on other charges.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/ ... s/30358680
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I wonder how many are Europeans.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Visa crackdown to stay

https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/specia ... wn-to-stay

'Big Joke' unrepentant about tactics, despite police racism claims

Immigration Bureau chief Surachate Hakparn admits frequent crackdowns on suspects who live in Thailand illegally have made other foreigners feel uncomfortable, but the bureau's success in carrying out the campaign outweighs this concern.
"Today the number of foreigners who overstay their visas is zero," Pol Lt Gen Surachate said, referring to the outcome of strict measures against the wrongdoers.
"I want to keep the number at zero."

"I want to keep the number at zero."

Pol Lt Gen Surachate is aware that attempts to separate good and bad foreigners may have some unpleasant impacts, especially on those who live and work in Thailand legally.

However, Pol Lt Gen Surachate insisted authorities need to "expel bad guys and have only good ones stay." The so-called "X-ray campaign", in which police inspect a wide range of venues from small rented houses and factories to luxury hotels, looking for errant foreigners, has helped the government reach its goal.

An expat in Thailand, who asked not to be named, said: "The immigration police pick on all the black people. No problem if you're white. They'll leave you alone. They just think all black people are bad."

The immigration bureau chief, however, claimed that a lot of visitors from certain African countries overstay and also commit crimes in Thailand.

Another foreigner, who also asked not to be named, said his friends seeking asylum were also affected by the operations. Some have been detained.

Since the campaign started in July last year, officers have conducted 39 operations in 3,755 target areas across the country as of the end of November.

Several thousand suspected wrongdoers, mostly overstaying their visas, were arrested and sent back to their countries. Information on asylum seekers was not revealed.

In October alone this year, police arrested more than 40,000 suspects. Many of them were blacklisted and prohibited from re-entering Thailand.

Pol Lt Gen Surachate attributed the success largely to complaints from owners of accommodation as well as crackdowns on brokers who help foreigners renew their visas illegally.

Apartment owners contact police when their number of foreign guests increases unusually.
One condominium has so many foreigners that "every floor was full of foreigners," Pol Lt Gen Surachate said.

An inspection at the property found many of the guests were living illegally while others failed to inform the Immigration Bureau of their addresses, which violates Section 38 of the Immigration Act.

By law, foreigners are required to report to authorities within 24 hours after they check in to their accommodation.
Usually, hotels will do the job for them, but in case they have to report to authorities themselves, they must contact the Immigration Bureau or police who oversee areas where they stay.

It is an important law but may be easily ignored even by those who have never intended to commit any wrongdoing, Pol Lt Gen Surachate said, adding many bosses and their staff have no knowledge of this legal requirement.
A raid on a leading construction company put the spotlight on the problem. The migrant workers there possessed work permits, but they failed to report their addresses to police.

"We had to arrest and fine them 5,000 baht each," Pol Lt Gen Surachate said.
Foreigners who work in Thailand need to be careful not to overstay their visas.
Usually, authorities will issue a warning letter, asking them to renew their visas which allow for a 90-day stay. If they fail to show up, they will be considered as overstaying their visas and will be subject to arrest, he said.

The visa issue is also a problem when foreigners are lured into renewing their visas via brokers. Checks by police found their services involve many irregularities, involving forging documents that certify applicants' financial status and false claims of their money records.

A law stipulates that foreigners who want to prolong their stay in Thailand need to have at least 800,000 baht in their bank accounts.

This is exploited by brokers who resort to trickery to make officers believe that the visa renewal applicants have enough money to pay for their living expenses.

They transfer money to their clients' bank accounts in the morning to have the balance checked by officers and quickly withdraw it in the evening once the financial "proof" has been provided, Pol Lt Gen Surachate said.

It is not such a serious matter if their clients are decent people, but some might be criminals, he said. He recommended foreigners who need help to contact his agency directly.

If they want a more technological channel, they can contact police through the Line App, which has the handle "immigration".

The software allows foreigners to give their addresses and apply for visa renewals online without a need to travel to the Immigration Bureau.

With all these facilities available, if foreigners still rely on illegal means and opt to stay in the country secretly, "we'll treat them as ill-intentioned people and they'll face arrest," Pol Lt Gen Surachate said.

The X-Ray Outlaw Foreigner campaign will stay in place, and even foreigners with refugee status will be carefully regulated, he added.

Police will keep a close watch on their number and the period they are allowed to stay here by working more closely with the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees, he said.
……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………
"Today the number of foreigners who overstay their visas is zero," Pol Lt Gen Surachate said, referring to the outcome of strict measures against the wrongdoers.
How he knows this completely eludes me.
………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….
A law stipulates that foreigners who want to prolong their stay in Thailand need to have at least 800,000 baht in their bank accounts.
Hmm, is this his answer?
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Nereus wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:02 am ………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….
Hmm, is this his answer?
Yes, for retirees, but what about others who wish to enjoy the country a little longer?

Points 51; Position 21