Buying new PCX model - First time purchase

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
jumusman
Professional
Professional

Buying new PCX model - First time purchase

Post by jumusman »

Hi everyone,

Well I decided to buy my first scooter, one of the new PCX's. Any info on how the transaction should go would be helpful! I don't want to get ripped off, as a falang is there anything extra I need to take with me ? I have looked at a few posts and cannot figure out what this Green Book is that people keep mentioning.

Anyone own a new PCX ? I heard the new model has a smaller storage area under the seat. I also heard its cheaper to buy insurance somewhere other than the dealership. I am probably going to the place on Phetchkasem and Soi 68, seem like nice people and have gotten service there before on a rental PCX.

In the U.S when you buy a car at a dealership they try to sell you so many ridiculous extras these days, just wondering if that happens here also. Any info would be appreciated! Thanks all. :D
"If there is any religion that could cope with modern scientific needs it would be Buddhism." - Albert Einstein, 1936
SpitfireMk3
Amateur
Amateur

Re: Buying new PCX model - First time purchase

Post by SpitfireMk3 »

Bought a new PCX in the beginning of April. The dealer will take care of the number plate, green book and insurance for the first year. Nothing to worry about there. Let me see what happens after the first free year of insurance. Then I will see which way to go.

At the purchase I asked for a Givi case to be mounted at the purchase time. Got some discount on it. Found the whole purchase quite professional.
jumusman
Professional
Professional

Post by jumusman »

Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it. Did you go to the same dealership as I mentioned in my post above ? Just wondering about the colors too, I want either red or black so not sure if they don't have the color you want how long it takes to order one. Seeing as the new model just came out this month not sure how their stock looks.

So you can add on the extras at the time of purchase ? That's good, there are many seats out there that look allot more comfortable than the stock PCX one. Thanks again!
"If there is any religion that could cope with modern scientific needs it would be Buddhism." - Albert Einstein, 1936
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

jumusman wrote: I have looked at a few posts and cannot figure out what this Green Book is that people keep mentioning.
The green book is what we used to call the log book in the UK - it comes with the vehicle when you buy it and contains the registration and ownership details.
This is the way
NOKYAI
Ace
Ace

Post by NOKYAI »

I bought a PCX where you suggested 2 years ago. I was very happy with the service. Got a a 3,2,1 deal on insurance. This was 3 years free servicing, 2 years insurance against theft, I year insurance against accident for 2 people. They sorted everything and still service the bike. You probably can find insurance a few Baht cheaper....but is it worth the hassle?

We love the PCX and have been on quite long trips on it ...13000 km in 18 months with no problems.
Enjoying 'Retirement'....So many jobs to do, I don't know how I ever had time to work!
SunandFun
Guru
Guru

Post by SunandFun »

Bought my PCX 150 a year ago. 73,000 Baht. Only 1000+ kms. now. Bought from the Big Yamaha Dealer on the left going towards Cha-Am. Saved 5000 Baht. Got two free helmets. Put on two "chrome utility hooks" to hang plastic bags from on the handle bars. Opted not to get the "rear carrier" as both helmets fit nicely under the seat. (Helmets are "half type.") Since I am only here six months, I did not want to have to take off the rear storage carrier each time I left. The optional cover will not fit over it. I love it and look forward to coming each time just to get to ride it. Will have to catch up with "Nokyai" to log some miles. Since I am low milage, I have not changed the seat. Comfortable enough for me. Same for the shocks. Any one change these two items? If so, did you notice a Big difference? Everything was handles at the dealer, Red Plates, registration and taxes, insurance. I have good health insurance and I keep it inside a secured building, so I opted out of any additional insurance. It covers almost nothing and unless possible theft is a bog issue not cost effective IMHO. But that is just me. The dealer can tell you what to bring. Same as for Drivers License minus the medical I believe. Happy cycling and enjoy. Maybe if we have interest, we can start a PCX club and do some outings once a month . They say we are too small to join the Bikers Club. LOL
I wouldn't have to manage my anger if people could learn to mange their stupidity!
Paul3456
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Paul3456 »

I bought my PCX in May 2013 from the dealer on Phetkasem at Soi 94. My thai driver's license had my correct address on it so that was all they needed along with my passport. If your thai driver's license doesn't have your correct address you may need to get an address confirmation letter from immigration.

I paid 75,000 plus registration & insurance, 78,800 out the door. I am very happy with the scooter, have had no problems.
jumusman
Professional
Professional

Post by jumusman »

Looks like prices keep going up, yesterday I asked at 2 different places and one place wanted 82,000 all in and the other 84,000 all in, seems like allot just because its the latest model. I like the previous models price at 72,000.

On the bright side the are always those "keep up with the Jones's" type people that just HAVE TO HAVE the latest model and end up trading in their old 125 or 150's, seen a few of those that don't look too shabby, hard to tell if they have been in an accident or not though, that's always a concern for me in this part of the world with the quality of driving. I like the idea that they can still be under warranty also. Ah decisions, decisions!
jumusman
Professional
Professional

Post by jumusman »

Just noticed this page with many photos of the new 150's with allot of extras. Amazing what some people do to their bikes, definitely stand out in the crowd for sure!

http://www.powerbypcx.com/honda-pcx-powerbypcx.php
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Post by bsdk1960 »

a friend of mine bought a honda something last year at the honda dealer in Pranburi and picked it up at the honda dealer in Hua Hin and saved 3000 baht :idea:

:cheers: :cheers:
Gérard
Professional
Professional

Post by Gérard »

CUSTOM.jpg
jumusman wrote:Just noticed this page with many photos of the new 150's with allot of extras. Amazing what some people do to their bikes, definitely stand out in the crowd for sure!

http://www.powerbypcx.com/honda-pcx-powerbypcx.php
And the final price would allow you to buy the 300 cc Forza or similar...
jumusman
Professional
Professional

Post by jumusman »

jumusman wrote:And the final price would allow you to buy the 300 cc Forza or similar...

I saw that bike, just seems WAY to big for a scooter, maybe I am missing something. Could be allot more storage space in it, not sure.
Gérard
Professional
Professional

Post by Gérard »

jumusman wrote:
jumusman wrote:And the final price would allow you to buy the 300 cc Forza or similar...

I saw that bike, just seems WAY to big for a scooter, maybe I am missing something. Could be allot more storage space in it, not sure.
Different bikes, different uses.

I think the PCX is perfect for town use and 100 km rides around town.

the Forza will be better for long rides (like riding to Samui or Phuket), but not so easy in the city traffic and not much more storage, unless you add a rear-box.

I just meant that when you add many expensive extras to a PCX, you may consider buying a FORZA...
NOKYAI
Ace
Ace

Post by NOKYAI »

I'm back in the UK for a few months and missing my PCX so much I might get rid of the commuting car and buy something similar. Ie Suzuki Bergman or Yamaha Majestic. If it's raining will take the Porsche! I haven't seen them over here second hand yet. I was surprised that the Yamaha only gets around 55 mpg, I know it's a 250 but I think I get twice that from the PCX!
Enjoying 'Retirement'....So many jobs to do, I don't know how I ever had time to work!
Gérard
Professional
Professional

Post by Gérard »

NOKYAI wrote:I'm back in the UK for a few months and missing my PCX so much I might get rid of the commuting car and buy something similar. Ie Suzuki Bergman or Yamaha Majestic. If it's raining will take the Porsche! I haven't seen them over here second hand yet. I was surprised that the Yamaha only gets around 55 mpg, I know it's a 250 but I think I get twice that from the PCX!
These big scooters are heavy (Majesty is 467 lb), hence the 50 or 55 mpg only. I think a PCX 150 is better for commuting.