Interesting article from BBC news about coup

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
caller
Hero
Hero

Interesting article from BBC news about coup

Post by caller »

Makes interesting reading - seems like we're now heading into analysis:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/5367936.stm
Talk is cheap
Winkie
Guru
Guru

Post by Winkie »

Interesting article.. if correct, Thailand may have a simpler and quicker return to 'normality'

Let's hope so.

Winkie
Only the crumbliest, flakiest Winkie....
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Heebio
Professional
Professional

Post by Heebio »

That Independent article is one of the few pieces of well informed, balanced reporting I've seen from the UK media - the BBC would do well to take note.

Anything I've seen or read from their correspondents appears to show lack of analysis and a complete ignorance of Thai political culture - it's like watching kids TV at times.

Lets hope we get more objective reporting as things move ahead.
Never trust a hippy....
Winkie
Guru
Guru

Post by Winkie »

Don't you think that the Independant article is a little extremist?

Are all the references sudstanciated?

It doesn't sound either well informed or balacned to me.
Mart

Post by Mart »

I agree that the Independent article is over the top. It uses phrases such as 'military dictatorship'.
I don't agree with military intervention in a democracy, but this is Thailand and politics just don't work in the same way as I am used to in my home country.
The media should just report the news and wait and see what happens - not resorting to hyperbole.

Mart
Heebio
Professional
Professional

Post by Heebio »

Winkie wrote:Don't you think that the Independant article is a little extremist?

Are all the references sudstanciated?

It doesn't sound either well informed or balacned to me.
"The reaction from civil society has been muted. The Bangkok Post even lent its support to the junta in an editorial yesterday. In part, civil society has had its hands tied by the fact that it has been agitating for Mr Thaksin to be removed from power for months."

"But some observers are warning that, in their delight to be finally rid of Mr Thaksin, Thailand's chattering classes may have let in a far more dangerous military government."

This strikes me as being at least a little better informed than the BBC and has more than a hint of an understanding and analysis of the local political environment. I'd guess the Independent's reporter has probably been on the ground here for a while, or maybe he's just done the necessary spade work any decent journalist should - either way, it's better reporting than anything we're currently getting from the BBC.

I sometimes think the BBC's desire to appear completely impartial gets in the way of their reporting....still, rather have that than the polarised shite from the likes of Fox News.
Never trust a hippy....
Winkie
Guru
Guru

Post by Winkie »

I disagee......

"Fifty per cent of bookings in the vital tourism sector have been cancelled since the news broke on Tuesday night."

Where could that have possibly come from - Spade work? Well maybe something that you need a spade for! I'm still 'waitlisted' on several flights over the coming 2 weeks, I think a 50% reduction would change that situation rather instantly.

"A leading Thai businessman, Vikrom Kromdit, telephoned a live television show yesterday to say he had lost a deal worth £280m to a company in neighbouring Malaysia because the foreign investors were too afraid to fly into Thailand to meet him."

Maybe he's a really scarey guy, and that's why he lost the deal. May be he should have flown to them. I'd love to use this excuse to justify to my bosses why I'd just lost that imaginary big one!

"He won three elections in a row."

Fails to mention that the 3rd was judged illegal and consequently cancelled

"What General Sondhi is doing is wrong," said one young woman who gave her name only as Praew. "We have no freedom. Please tell people this is what the young people in Bangkok are saying."

Was that the best anonymus single quote he could find?

Yes, it certainly looked like this guy really did his Spade work!

Winkie
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

You all know what happens when the media gets hold of something. They spin it in all directions until it dies an unnatural death. Again the old saying....believe nothing you hear, 10% of what you read and 50% of what you see. I think a decade ago those numbers were higher but seem to keep going down? Pete :cheers:
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

FYI, when you now click the above BBC link, you get the below. Someone did not like what the BBC said, apparently? Pete

http://www.mict.go.th/ci/iiijjjIllllllllllllllI.html
Kraka's Dad
Guru
Guru

Post by Kraka's Dad »

Pete,

Have you seen it ?
If not I will cut and paste it.

:cheers:
The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Kraka's Dad wrote:Pete,

Have you seen it ?
If not I will cut and paste it.

:cheers:
Thanks, yes. I looked at it earlier than went back later and received the censored link. Pete :cheers: