League 2 Season 2012/13

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Re: League 2 Season 2012/13

Post by dtaai-maai »

Didn't the Maxwell family pump some money into the club when they were on their way up?
This is the way
Zidane
Guru
Guru

Post by Zidane »

Yes,Robert Maxwell was the owner of the club at one time.....later on,his son Kevin ?
Another club that was in the top flight and has had an even bigger fall from grace is Luton,who have not been able to get out of the Conference for four or five seasons now.
I'm sure people can remember the likes of Mick Harford,Brian Stein,Ricky Hill and Brian Horton playing for them.

And talking about the Conference and the battle to stay out of it......
A great win for Plymouth yesterday over promotion chasing Cheltenham,2-0.
Yes,its true they seem to do well against the better sides so the next two games Burton (a) and Chesterfield (a) should be a guaranteed 6 points for you ! :wink:
We're all on our uppers,we're all going skint,
I used to suck fat cigars but now I suck Polo mints.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Chesterfield will be a hard game with the new manager returning to the club he was sacked from.

Burton are either collapsing, or will be for somebody to avenge this week's hammering on.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
PAFC
Amateur
Amateur

Post by PAFC »

It was a good game but the last minute hurt. Too many players went up for the Argyle corner and couldn't get back in time. Unfortunately York also won, Torquay game postponed so not the best day for Argyle, still, could be worse, there are still a lot of teams in the battle and a few exciting games left to listen too!!!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, 94th minute was a killer. Still 3 points above the bottom team, and 3 to play. A win on Tuesday could be enough.

Points 51; Position 21
Zidane
Guru
Guru

Post by Zidane »

Torquay v Barnet on Tuesday is a big,big game.....maybe a Barnet win would suit Plymouth as it would mean Torquay are all but down ? :|
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Ian Holloway - Friend of the Green Army ........ NOT

The Green Army have not had the most inspiring season. Eventually, they saw sense in the new year and changed their manager. Languishing at the bottom of the Football League, John Sheridan had to build a new team in very quick time. He had already established that his strikers couldn't hit a barn door from 1 yard out, so he had to find a new strike force.

Crystal Palace had a player, Jason Banton, who had been passed on loan from pillar to post without making any impact anywhere. He had only made a couple of subtitute appearances.

John Sheridan grabbed him and developed him into a decent player. Within a couple of months he had become the Green Army's leading scorer, and has just picked up the League 2 Player of the Month award. Not bad for a player that nobody really wanted.

He had been a significant player in the Green Army's bid for Football League survival. Now, with just 3 matches to play, Holloway has realised that he might have missed something when he was passing Jason Banton from pillar to post. He's recalled him so that he can be part of the Crystal Palace first team squad for the remainder of the season. :?

Holloway won't play the same style as John Sheridan, so he probably won't fit in anyway.

What a s**thouse move. Thanks again Holloway :cuss: :cuss:

http://www.thisisplymouth.co.uk/Loan-si ... z2QRXi9i4t

Points 51; Position 21
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Good win for your boy's tonight BB and they're all but safe now.

What's your views on next season?
Talk is cheap
PAFC
Amateur
Amateur

Post by PAFC »

Great result and good to see goals still going in even after Banton's departure!! That should seal the season barring some very strange results in the last two games!!! Come on you greens!!!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, a valuable 3 points, although I always had a sneaky feeling the manager would want to put one over on the club who had sacked him.

Next season is starting to look a lot more hopeful. After getting rid of a manager with ill health, 2 rookie managers, and a manager we couldn't afford, we at last have a manager who seems to know what he's doing. He's done it at this level before on a shoestring. He's picked up manager of the month in just a few weeks, and has taken the Green Army to the top of the form league.

My worry is that there are too many loan players again. We have to start from scratch again next season. I think there could be a major clearout of the non-loan players, and this will free up slots to bring platers in. However, the manager has already experienced the difficulty of getting players to move to Plymouth - the butt end of the football map. I'm hoping that we've got the man who can sort that problem. I really hope that we have a reduced dependence on loanees - that really doesn't work for me.

I think with John Sheridan at the helm, the Green Army will be challenging next season.

Points 51; Position 21
Zidane
Guru
Guru

Post by Zidane »

Good win and you are almost safe now.....Sheridan has done a great job,imo.
But I was reading on the BBC that Neil Warnock lives in your area and is a friend of the owner of PAFC.
Warnock says its not impossible for Plymouth to get into the Premiership in the future and would not rule himself out of taking the managers job one day :shock: Warnock,surely not ?? :tsk:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

We've had Warnock before, and he did a great job. He left because he fell out with board (surprised?).

Warnock loves to spend money. Friends or not, James Brent isn't going to spend the sort of money that Warnock would want.

He's been helping out while considering his future in football.

Points 51; Position 21
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Oh dear - the Green Army don't make it easy for themselves :cry:

Points 51; Position 21
PAFC
Amateur
Amateur

Post by PAFC »

It's going to be a long 90 minutes tomorrow! Theoretically it should be very difficult for us to go down tomorrow but with the way the results have gone this season, who knows what is going to happen!!

If York and Dagenham draw, Barnet beat Northampton (tough game for them!) and Wimbledon beat Fleetwood (playing for nothing) then Argyle have to at least get a draw in order to stay up.

So will Sheridan go all out for the win or risk going for a draw. Its been another long season and I am looking forward to it being complete and have everything crossed that it goes our way tomorrow! I wonder if they will still have radio coverage if we do happen to go down!!
Zidane
Guru
Guru

Post by Zidane »

Good luck to Plymouth tomorrow.
Aldershot are all but down,playing Rotherham away who need to win to secure automatic promotion.
Of the other games,Wimbledon v Fleetwood,Dagenham v York,Northamprton v Barnet and Torquay v Bristol Rovers,surely one will go your way !
And away at Rochdale with nothing to play for,you could well get the 3 points to dispel any worries.