Bank transfer UK to Thailand

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
H2ODunc
Professional
Professional

Bank transfer UK to Thailand

Post by H2ODunc »

Hi, A friend wants or needs to transfer some money from the UK to here. he has asked if he can send it to my accountant and I then give him it. how long from when he sends it will it be available to withdraw. He seems to be in a hurry for it. Cheers people !
I never forget a face but in your case I'll make an exception!
Big Boy

Re: Bank transfer UK to Thailand

Post by Big Boy »

In my experience, a standard transfer takes 4 to 5 days. He can pay extra for a faster transfer.

It all really depends on his bank and the service he pays for - really need more information to answer the question properly.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
H2ODunc
Professional
Professional

Post by H2ODunc »

Cheers BB. I will let him know. I think it is money he wants that the missus doesn't know about or along those lines. he may be going to buy her a Xmas present with it ? or he could be planning a week in Pattaya.
I never forget a face but in your case I'll make an exception!
TimandT
Professional
Professional

Post by TimandT »

In my last experience it took 1-2 days from Nationwide Building Society to SCB
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I do an online transfer using HSBC and it arrives either next day or at most the day after as long as you avoid the weekend. Make sure you ask for the transfer to be made in GBP and the Thai bank will automatically transfer into baht - do it the other way round and you will lose at least 2 baht to £1
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Wow!! That's 2 of you with very fast transfer times. I know that a standard transfer by my bank (NatWest) would never achieve that speed. Did you use standard, or did you pay extra for a faster service?

Points 51; Position 21
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Big Boy wrote:Wow!! That's 2 of you with very fast transfer times. I know that a standard transfer by my bank (NatWest) would never achieve that speed. Did you use standard, or did you pay extra for a faster service?
No this is me doing it myself online - I just log on to my UK account and do a "transfer money overseas". I'm sure that if you do it via the bank then 3-5 days is the norm. Not sure if its a flat fee irrespective of how much you send, but because I have been house building I normally transfer £10k at a time and they charge £17
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

The online bit might make all the difference. The only money I've transferred while I have been here was by letter to my bank in the UK. That was purely because of the amount involved. I'll need to top up in a few months time, so I might try the online bit then.

You are right, the timescales I was quoting was me going into my bank in the UK and arranging transfers.

Points 51; Position 21
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Big Boy wrote:The online bit might make all the difference. The only money I've transferred while I have been here was by letter to my bank in the UK. That was purely because of the amount involved. I'll need to top up in a few months time, so I might try the online bit then.

You are right, the timescales I was quoting was me going into my bank in the UK and arranging transfers.
Ive been doing it this way for some time now and can't remember whether setting it up in the first instance is easily done online, or whether I had to set it up while I was in the UK - certainly once set up, it holds all the basic info on line, so all you need to do is hit a few confirmation boxes and enter the amount to transfer, the rest happens automatically.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Dannie, I do that on-line as well from HSBC Hong Kong to Thailand. However, a form must be on file identifying and registering the "transfer to" party. That (for HSBC HK) can't be done remotely but the form completed, signed and physically mailed to them. Once that's in place you're good to go, and from HK a transfer actually takes a matter of minutes evidenced by the SMS received from K Bank here upon receipt and deposit.

If a person is not set up for on-line transfers from HSBC UK, what is he going to need to do? Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

That's an interesting question Pete. International transfer is an option from my online banking system - I hadn't considered that there might be a few hoops to jump through first.

Points 51; Position 21
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

With LloydsTSB, you can set up a new recipient for a transfer online but you need to have available your registered mobile phone as they do a process of giving you an automated call with a verification number.
Normally they do a transfer in three working days.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

prcscct wrote:Dannie, I do that on-line as well from HSBC Hong Kong to Thailand. However, a form must be on file identifying and registering the "transfer to" party. That (for HSBC HK) can't be done remotely but the form completed, signed and physically mailed to them. Once that's in place you're good to go, and from HK a transfer actually takes a matter of minutes evidenced by the SMS received from K Bank here upon receipt and deposit.

If a person is not set up for on-line transfers from HSBC UK, what is he going to need to do? Pete :cheers:
I probably did set it up (getting old so can't remember for sure) during a UK visit at my local HSBC branch and only have the one overseas transfer that I use hence no other issues. The reason why it takes a day is probably due to the 7 hour time difference, although mine also goes into Kasikorn.
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

STEVE G wrote:With LloydsTSB, you can set up a new recipient for a transfer online but you need to have available your registered mobile phone as they do a process of giving you an automated call with a verification number.
Normally they do a transfer in three working days.
That's wrong Steve when you register a new recipient you get a verification code on screen and a real person will phone you within seconds to you registerd phone landline or mobile.

Lioyds will charge you £10.00 per online transfer takes 3 days and far more easy than Natf:ckingwest that charge £20.00 for slow transfer 5 days or £28.00 for fast transfer and on more than one occasion we got charged twice both ends. :banghead:
We have never had a problem with the Lioyds online banking.

Kendo. :cheers:
Is Bangkok a place or a nasty injury.......Eric Morcombe.

Proud to be a Southampton FC Fan.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

That's wrong Steve when you register a new recipient you get a verification code on screen and a real person will phone you within seconds to you registerd phone landline or mobile.
I got a recorded message the last time I registered one telling me to put in that verification code.