Large Sculpture Past Hua Hin

Bangkok and beyond, travel talk on all other places in Thailand and Southeast Asia.
SPONSORS: Bang Saphan Guide
pinksquid

Large Sculpture Past Hua Hin

Post by pinksquid »

When we have been in town we like to drive all around and explore as much as we can. On one such trip we came across a few signs depicting a large statue of an old Buddhist man sitting in (what I believe is) the lotus style (or Indian style?) on top of a large pyramid made of a flight of stairs. We followed the signs to their end but did not end up going in. It was about ten miles (I want to say west?) outside of Hua Hin.

Could anyone be so kind as to let me know what this was (I imagine it is in honour of a particular Buddhist clergy), who it is for, and any other information?

Thank you very much in advance!!!
As of mid August I am on vacation via traveling around the globe and I am not returning until the end of November (I have no Internet access until I return). Have fun!
Norseman
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Norseman »

This old munk was born in the south of Thailand.
His name was Luang Poo Thoat and he died some years ago.
He is famous in Thailand because of his ability to bring good luck to people. He could put his foot in the ocean, say some prayers and you could drink the water.
I intend to live forever - so far so good.
pinksquid

Post by pinksquid »

Norseman wrote:This old munk was born in the south of Thailand.
Wow! Thank you very much for this information. Do you know of any other memorials (for lack of a better word) like this which are around? :D
As of mid August I am on vacation via traveling around the globe and I am not returning until the end of November (I have no Internet access until I return). Have fun!
Wanderlust
Legend
Legend

Post by Wanderlust »

The temple where that sitting monk statue is, is called Wat Huay Mongkhon by the way, and is well worth a visit (but don't go on a very hot day!).
pinksquid

Post by pinksquid »

Wanderlust wrote:The temple where that sitting monk statue is, is called Wat Huay Mongkhon by the way, and is well worth a visit (but don't go on a very hot day!).
Haha, I think that is why we decided to keep on driving: it was too hot! :thumb:
Jaime
Legend
Legend

Post by Jaime »

pinksquid wrote:
Wanderlust wrote:The temple where that sitting monk statue is, is called Wat Huay Mongkhon by the way, and is well worth a visit (but don't go on a very hot day!).
Haha, I think that is why we decided to keep on driving: it was too hot! :thumb:
When you get up to the top of the podium you will be barefoot, having had to leave your flip flops at the bottom. The concrete surface is like a hot plate! Not conducive to a relaxing gawp at the statue. They also give out little gold falluses (lingam) to put on a chain and wear as a charm!
buksida

Post by buksida »

Just uploaded this image I found of him.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
JW
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by JW »

Its a massive buddah, take a right turn on the Pala U road when you see the sign for Majestic Creek golf course. Worth a look.
Edd Case

Post by Edd Case »

Thanks for the directions JW, wil have nosey next trip
"The older I get ....the better I remember I was."