Repair of refrigerators

Questions for the residents, services, suppliers, shops and businesses, get quick answers from the people that live here.
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Repair of refrigerators

Post by margaretcarnes »

poosmate wrote:
lung per wrote:Read the label and check the power consumption data. You'll see the difference.
No......... the effectiveness of the insulation and how quickly the compressor exchanges heat is the main factor in efficiency. Power consumption figures are fine for gullible consumers but running time determines actual costs.

Just curious - why then are all fridge/freezers sold in the UK now required to have the energy rating lables? Or is that just another government nod to EU regs?
A sprout is for life - not just for Christmas.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

IMO, it's the same as vehicles having to have MPG ratings. It's not what you will get but what you could get under perfect driving habits and traffic situations. Same with a fridge I think which is probably based on so many door openings and for how long in a 24 hour period, temp setting, what's loaded in it, ambient outside temp etc, etc. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
poosmate
Ace
Ace

Post by poosmate »

Does this mean that the older models, which have all the pipes visible at the back and the compressor open at the bottom, are more efficient / economical than the all enclosed flush -back newer models
The compressor being enclosed can add to expense as fans are sometimes needed to aid cooling.Many commercial fridges have the compressor at the top which makes more sense as heat rises.
Another note on costs can depend on room temperature, frequency of the doors being opened, type and amount of food stored and even how far away from the wall or enclosed inside a cabinet.

And Mags.. The label is a requirement trying to be applied worldwide to aid energy costs and be eventually used for all appliances.Testing conditions and results however are not equal and results shown differently 1-5 rating here and A-G in Euroland and others in USA Aussie Japan etc are an example.
no more dePreston
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Some good points raised here, but some of them would be more plausible if the correct terminology was used:
Ice forming around the condenser in a fan assisted fridge
The part of a domestic refrigerator that can get iced up is the evaporator.
how quickly the compressor exchanges heat is the main factor in efficiency
The compressor does not "exchange heat". It is merely the "pump" that circulates the refrigerant around the system. The condenser is the heat exchanger. The efficiency depends on many things, one of which is the compressor.
The compressor being enclosed can add to expense as fans are sometimes needed to aid cooling
If fans are used to assist cooling they will be used to help cool the condenser, not the compressor. The condenser is where the heat is released, the compressor suction is pulling cold vapour from the evaporator inside the cabinet, and gets most of its cooling from there.
Many commercial fridges have the compressor at the top which makes more sense as heat rises
The complete "condensing unit", ie; the compressor and condenser, usually with a fan, is mounted on the top more for convenience and service, rather than energy efficiency.
Does this mean that the older models, which have all the pipes visible at the back and the compressor open at the bottom, are more efficient / economical than the all enclosed flush -back newer models
No, it doesn't. :thumb:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
poosmate
Ace
Ace

Post by poosmate »

Evaporator /condenser dyslectic moment :oops:
And yes the compressor does not exchange heat. I do not drive my car either :wink:
Enclosed compressors and their associated pipework are less efficient as heat from an enclosed evaporator is not dispersed naturally( unlike rear mounted evaporators) and as I said before can require a fan to assist cooling.
I still recon a top mounted compressor will be more cost effective as the unwanted heat from both the the compressor and condenser can escape unobstructed rather than trying to heat the cabinet.
regardless of weather it is easier to service.
A question to the more knowledgeable. Does the length of condenser coil or the temperature of the liquid entering the evaporator have any impact on efficiency?
no more dePreston
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

poosmate wrote: A question to the more knowledgeable.
That'd be Nereus, then... :laugh: :thumb:
This is the way
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Enclosed compressors and their associated pipework are less efficient as heat from an enclosed evaporator is not dispersed naturally( unlike rear mounted evaporators) and as I said before can require a fan to assist cooling.
You just don`t get it, do you? :?
Does the length of condenser coil or the temperature of the liquid entering the evaporator have any impact on efficiency?
Maybe you should ask the weather bureau. :rasta:
chopsticks
Guru
Guru

Post by chopsticks »

For best efficiency use in a well ventilated room where there'a a lower ambient temperature, possibly outside or in a garage ? Modern ozone friendly refrigerant gases may be more efficient than the older cfc's (Freon).
Keeping ice-cream frozen is quite a demanding test (to go down to -18 C from an ambient of 30 + C) for some models.
ALXDXB
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ALXDXB »

What is the difference between a regular and a "tropical" fridge? I'm looking at an outdoor drinks cooler and the tropic lines are double the price.
chopsticks
Guru
Guru

Post by chopsticks »

If 'tropical' rated it should have been manufactured to work better in the more demanding conditions of hotter climates.

http://ezinearticles.com/?What-is-the-D ... id=3458452
poosmate
Ace
Ace

Post by poosmate »

Cheers nereus. Good to know if a fellow makes an error or heaven forbid a spelling mistake that you will be there to help and inform without a hint of sarcasm.Good to know chaps like you are out there to help and assist. Once again I thank you and I wish with all sincerity that your next shit is a hedgehog.
no more dePreston
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

poosmate wrote:Once again I thank you and I wish with all sincerity that your next shit is a hedgehog.
I guess that says it all about your mentality.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

"The Fridge Wars" :laugh: :laugh:

'Cool' down, chaps. :cheers:
This is the way
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by margaretcarnes »

dtaai-maai wrote:"The Fridge Wars" :laugh: :laugh:

'Cool' down, chaps. :cheers:
OK I'm chilled - but while on the subject of fridges and seeing as how we do seem to have some expertise on here - another chilly question! I've had to get a worktop fridge recently. Teeny little thing - igenix brand. One of those studenty things with a lock.
It is doing my head in because the obligatory icebox inside just takes over and everything in the fridge gets super chilled. It needs defrosting every week. I've put a container of water in the icebox but it doesn't make any difference - and it's on the lowest setting. Do I have to just live with it?
A sprout is for life - not just for Christmas.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

I've put a container of water in the icebox but it doesn't make any difference - and it's on the lowest setting. Do I have to just live with it?
No, it shouldn't do that, regardless of the size of the cabinet. Faulty thermostat, bad door seal would be the first things to have checked. Or sell it and buy another may be the cheaper way out!