Sandman's Virtual Flea Pit

Discussion, recommendations and reviews for music, movies, books and games. Creative arts, crafts and photography welcome.
sandman67
Rock Star
Rock Star

Sandman's Virtual Flea Pit

Post by sandman67 »

sounds itchy eh?

Well as fellow old school Brits can explain, the flea pit is a colloquial term for a cinema.

Ive just started to use my storage account at 4Shared properly, and came up with the idea for a virtual cinema.

Every week I will post a couple of films to the account, which you will be free to download safe in the knowledge that they are good quality and virus free. Ill post (mods permitting) the relevant details here, and you are free to download it and watch.

Id like to show at least one classic a week, as Ive hit on the motherload of old classic films like Captain Blood, rare films like The Last Valley, and good old potboilers like 12 Angry Men. Im also a big fan of classic cinema. Interested in the restored versions of Metropolis or Nosferatu from the 1920s and 30s, colourised and original Laurel and Hardy shorts, or Chaplin and Harold LLoyd? Im yer man.

Alongside that Id run more current/modern film, and maybe throw in some Asian cinema (with subtitle files) from Kurosawa classics to more modern Korean cinema.

I wont post current in circulation in cinema films. Once a film hits DVD its fair game.

Films will always be in their original unedited format and with original sound tracks. No dubbed films here. They will be stored for a week, then replaced with a different one or request.

Let me know by posting here if youd like that, and also any speific requests. After the weekend Ill see what responses say, and potentially go ahead and roll out the red carpet.

:cheers:
"Science flew men to the moon. Religion flew men into buildings."

"To sin by silence makes cowards of men."
migrant
Addict
Addict

Re: Sandman's Virtual Flea Pit

Post by migrant »

Great idea!! Looking forward to it, Thanks!! :cheers: :cheers: :thumb:
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
MrPlum
Banned
Banned

Post by MrPlum »

Sounds great. Sign me up.
sandman67
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sandman67 »

ah...one more thing..... The Roxy has a strict NO MUSICALS policy.

if it aint CHICAGO, BUGSY MALONE or PAINT YOUR WAGON it aint getting shown.

Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

I was born under a wandering star, so go for it Sandman

:thumb:
I've lost my mind and I am making no effort to find it.
JD
Legend
Legend

Post by JD »

Tallulah away! :cheers:
Per Angusta In Augusta.
-----------------------------------------------
http://www.facebook.com/huahinhamandbacon
www.hamandbacon.co.th
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

Sounds good to me SM!

sandman67
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sandman67 »

OK

seems like its a goer, so week 1 will be Sandys Pick, then its up to suggestions - PM me requests.

Im gonna start a new thread for the purpose - THE ROXY.

Internet and time permitting check the board on Monday nights for that weeks now showing announcements. The last post in the thread will carry the current listings, the relevant download links, and the file deletion deadlines.

In the case of a subtitled film, there will be a zip folder that contains the .avi file (the film) and a .srt file (the subs) - you drag and drop both into your media player and you should be set to rock n roll. If I say a film is HARDSUBBED that means the subs are part of the film file itself.

so sit back, pop the popcorn, bust open a beer and enjoy....

sandman67
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sandman67 »

The management of The Roxy would like to apologise for the late openeing of the cinema. 3BB have scuppered the planned opening thanks to their shitty service and incompetant staff. Im working to resolve the issue and hopefully the cinema will be opening on Monday 9th Aug.

On the bill for the opening week are the following:

Queens of Langsuaka - Thai fantasy pirate epic with a cast of thousands and lots of elephants. subtitled and presented in unedited format.

Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid - Steve Martin's own comedy take on the film noir genre using a collage of old noir films. Fun all the way and full of great one liners;

The Interceptor - Blade Runner/Matrix esque dystopian sci-fi madness from Russia. Visually a real treat, and a ripping script - subtitled and unedited;

Without A Clue - Michael Caine and Ben Kingsley turn the Sherlock Holmes mythos on its head. Thrills spills and laughs abound;

and

Gunga Din - 1930s Raj Boys Own adventure classic with three stiff upper lip heroes taking on the evil Thuggee cult in the Northern Territories. Classic black n white magic.

Once again my apologies and once 3BB fix the account we will roll out the red carpet

The Roxy may also grow a Virtual Library annex of e-book files.

Lev
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Lev »

To avoid possible copyright issues and unwanted attention from Thai authorities we will need to provide a disclaimer stating that HHAD does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for content uploaded to third party websites that are linked to from this forum.
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

Sandman I look forward to downloading Queens of Langsuaka for my wife (she loves that sort of film) and for me, The Interceptor will fill a wet, windy, winters night, just fine.

Will I need to download any software, to be able to access the Flea Pit?

Can't wait. :thumb:
sandman67
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sandman67 »

well you shouldnt need any fancy software other than a good all purpose media player. As I have a major problem with anything Microsoft I use GOM PLAYER - its free and plays just about any format of file.

The files I will upload will be avi files so will play in any player. The subtitle files are .srt format so you may need to download a media player patch called VOBSUB - install that and it automatically displays the subtitles. Again, GOM PLAYER does it automatically.

Cos iM a nice chap Im gonna try to make sure that the subtitles are hard coded into the foriegn films I upload so you dont need to worry about displaying subs - leave the gruntwork to old Sandy.

The only issue that is causing the delays is the dumasses in the 3BB shop that have completely screwed my account up...ive just been billed for a frickin Premier account when the bastards have given me a Indy login. That means I cant upload at enough of a speed/get such bad packet loss that i cant upload the files to the server. Hopefully this will get fixed this week.

As Lev said above this will be heaily caveated so its clear this is not anythingt o do with HHAD its just me using the system. If HHAD get any sniff of trouble the whole thing goes offline. Its HHADs gaff so its their rules, and I respect that entirely.

Bear with me...we will get this open eventually

PS: Now I know you like Thai films I will try to upload one a week - stuff like The Legend of Sudsakorn which is a dads and lads sort of film. Thais make excellent fantasy/history stuff and I have a few. Siyama is another, and I will try to rip down Bang Rajan. If I can find a good subtitled copy of King Naresuan that will go up too.

Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

Cheers SM

I've downloaded GOM Player and we await the films with bated breath. :)

Let's hope the t++ts in the 3BB shop get their act together, but TIT. :banghead:

:thumb:
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

Cheers for doing this SM, it'll give me a nudge to watch a few more of the big Thai films and hopefully a few of your Korean martial arts epics.