The best Anti-mosquito protection or spray

Medical issues, doctors, dentists, opticians and hospitals in Hua Hin and Thailand.
Sabai Jai
Professional
Professional

Post by Sabai Jai »

In the South (Nakorn Sri Thammarat) where the missus comes from they dry out the skins from Mangosteen fruits (Monkrut - they are grown down here) and burn them on a bit of charcoal - out on the veranda mainly.

This is apparently a traditional way of dealing with mossies - eveyone used to be outdoors most of the time, the old wooden houses where on stilts and they only slept indoors and used nets there.

I'm sure there are other regional solutions?

Regards Sabai Jai
bluezephyr
Professional
Professional

Post by bluezephyr »

I have Jungle formula spray and wipes, I find it quite greasy but it seems to work ok, Im sure it discouloured a T shirt of mine though.

Marmite has B vitamins in and unless thats an old wives tale it keeps away the mossies.
But all depends if you like spreading yeast mud on perfectly good hovis or not.
Mai ow Khup, Pom Ki Neow :)
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Here's a novel way to get rid of them. I want one of these ray guns:
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/u ... 908535.ece
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Totally cool! I want one of those for my yard! :D :guns:
Lindsay
Rookie
Rookie

Mozzie repellant

Post by Lindsay »

I use Repel, which is basically a DEET spray. You can buy it in the UK in different atrengths, from 10% for moderate use to 100% DEET for tropical rain forest macho tattooed mozzies! I use the 100% but be careful not to spray on face (spray on hands and wipe face) and don't use it on small children.
PeteC

Re: Mozzie repellant

Post by PeteC »

Lindsay wrote:I use Repel, which is basically a DEET spray. You can buy it in the UK in different atrengths, from 10% for moderate use to 100% DEET for tropical rain forest macho tattooed mozzies! I use the 100% but be careful not to spray on face (spray on hands and wipe face) and don't use it on small children.
Yes, the children issue is a big, big issue from what I've been reading for a long time. If seen other threads, my 3 year old daughter has an allergy problem with insect bites. A welt forms and stays for a week or more. However, GOOD NEWS, the welt is not staying as long since my last post. Maybe she is outgrowing the problem. :D

DEET is absorbed. The lowest we've been able to find for her here is 10%. Whereas the normal (orange can) OFF is 15%. We may be melting her brain and blood and not knowing it.

We've tried some natural repellants as mentioned before, but she's at school 6 hours a day and they just don't work for a kid in/out to the playground etc., for that amount of time.

MR. PLUM - I know you've posted alternatives before, but we need one that lasts 6-8 hours, DEET free. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

What about them bracelet type things, Pete?
taffinexile

Post by taffinexile »

I use GO spray when I'm in Thailand. Don't know if it helps that I tan fast but GO works for me
In my time of dying all want for you to do is take my body home..... so I can die easy
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

BaaBaa. wrote:What about them bracelet type things, Pete?
Never seen them BaaBaa, what are they? Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Wanderlust
Legend
Legend

Post by Wanderlust »

If you look here that tells you more. You can buy these in Hua Hin from a variety of places, including the Observer office. I'm sure the website lists where they are available in other parts of Thailand.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

I'd like to hear from anyone who tries these if they actually work and if I see them I will get some and report in kind.

I played golf yesterday at the course in Dolphin Bay and now that the rains have started the course is covered in mosquitoes. I didn't realize that it would be so didn't take any repellent. They were horrible, swarming us all day (this is the daytime type of mozzie that can carry Dengue). I tried to shoo them off my bare legs for a while or mash them and finally gave up as there were so many it was impossible. I was literally a buffet for them all day.

I want to get four of those bracelets, one for each wrist and ankle before going back there as I don't like products that contain deet (the most common repellent ingredient). I've heard that stuff is very bad for you when used frequently.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
sandman67
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sandman67 »

an ex-US marine I met in Cambodia who drilled village water wells used to swear by Aloe (as in Aloe Vera).....he said mozzies hated the smell. He used Aloe essence and always seemed bite free. Smells nice too.

Give it a spin.....god knows where he got it from mind.

my personal method is chain smoking.

:cheers:
"Science flew men to the moon. Religion flew men into buildings."

"To sin by silence makes cowards of men."
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Someone posted on a previous thread that Listerene the mouthwash worked.

Anybody tried it?
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Wanderlust wrote:If you look here that tells you more. You can buy these in Hua Hin from a variety of places, including the Observer office. I'm sure the website lists where they are available in other parts of Thailand.
Thanks. With so many places where it's sold, should be able to find one over here. We'll try it! Pete :cheers:
sandman67
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sandman67 »

I do know wine vinegar works.....they hate that smell

but do you really want to walk round smelling like a bag of chips (or fries for our US cousins)?

:thumb:
"Science flew men to the moon. Religion flew men into buildings."

"To sin by silence makes cowards of men."