what to see?

Bangkok and beyond, travel talk on all other places in Thailand and Southeast Asia.
SPONSORS: Bang Saphan Guide
PAINTER01

what to see?

Post by PAINTER01 »

Coming to LOS in April mainly to sort out Thai Co issue's, may have a lot of time on my hands whilst I wait for things to be sorted out.
Rather than wait around the pool what would other folks recommend to do ie "things you must do whilst in LOS"
I've been to HH quite a few times and BKK and have seen enough there (I think) what other parts of the country would people recommend and why.

Painter
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Many people may say "the rose of the north", Chiang Mai, but to me it's just a mini Bangkok and in April, it will probably still be chocked with smoke and smog as you've been reading.

If you link up with a tour operator, you may likely be taken to where they want to go and not you. Like numerous shops and attractions throughout the country where they get commissions if they bring customers in.

If you're comfortable driving and can speak some survival Thai, I would rent a car and head east but don't stop until you get to Rayong. From there all the way to the Cambodian border are some great small fishing villages, seaside restaurants and beaches, as well as affordable guest houses everywhere. A few good national parks and spectacular waterfalls if you want to trek a bit. Also some Thai history with old forts in Chantaburi. With this route you're only a half day drive from Bangkok as well if you need to get back in a hurry.

If that doesn't do it for you, there is a ton of things to see up in Issan, but this is a long journey of many days to make the loop through the cities and towns.

Central Thailand is another not too far drive and you can see the history in Ayuddaya and Sukothai. Or, head west out of Bangkok and spend a day or two at the WWII death railway memorial at the River Kwai in Kanchantaburi(sp).

Another alternative is simply to get up to Nong Kai and go across to Vientiene (Vienchang) in Laos as it's a great old city with plenty to see, good places to stay and really good French influenced restaurants. You can get a short term Lao visa from many tour operators in Nong Kai.

Those are the high points in my mind, none of which would take you more than 2-3 days, except the Issan loop. You can find all of the above doing a google for further info.

Someone else may want to comment concerning things south of HH as I'm not that familiar with that area. Pete :cheers:

PS: I forgot to mention that depending upon your circumstances and frame of mind, it wouldn't be a bad idea to recruit a sleeping dictionary in Bangkok to go with you and assist.
PAINTER01

Post by PAINTER01 »

Thanks for the reply plenty of scope there Rayong was recommended to me previously by a friend, again thanks.