Tourist train to launch in Hua Hin

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
buksida

Tourist train to launch in Hua Hin

Post by buksida »

Despite a readiness roll out of the station, the official launch of the OTOP-themed tourist trains, is still waiting for the PM to say when she can officiate at the ceremony.

The tourist train project is a joint venture between the Tourism Authority of Thailand, State Railway of Thailand and the Community Development Department.

Though scheduled trips have not started; domestic tour operators have crafted pilot tour programmes that are supposed to run in December and January. They are just waiting for the signal to go green on a train project that has already cost the TAT Bt10 million.

TAT has financed the renovation of seven carriages to operate three routes ex-Bangkok to Hua Hin, Ayutthaya and Kanchanaburi. The launch destination is Hua Hin.

Tourism Authority of Thailand director for Prachuap Khiri Khan office, Phasitta Inthaphan, confirmed the readiness of the tourist train and that it only requires the Prime Minister to wave a green flag.

The renovated OTOP-themed carriages feature exteriors that illustrate tourist attractions along the route, while inside the train, OTOP products are used for decoration such as curtains and pillows.

In the future, OTOP shopping will be available on board and sold in the same manner airlines sell duty-free products. Tourists can order the products from the various provinces along the route from a list and receive them at the final destination station.

The Hua Hin route will feature two carriages, air-conditioned and capable of seating 50 passengers each.

Once launched, the train will operate daily except on Monday and Tuesday. The train will leave Hua Lampong Station at 0920 and return from Hua Hin at 1405.

Ms Phasitta said that the fare will include lunch on the Hua Hin-bound sector (rice topped with grilled pork or chicken) and on the Bangkok-bound, Thai sweets from Petchaburi will be served as afternoon snacks.

Also, there will be video screening of the tourist attractions and interesting products along the route to make the journey more informative.

Tourists can buy one-way tickets for Bt500 and Bt900 roundtrip. There are also packages that include the train and hotel priced from Bt1,672. The service already has a website, www.huahinclassic.com, that should have a booking and ticketing facility. It is not functioning at the moment, which is a major drawback for travellers who want to do their own travel planning rather than go through travel agencies. The site is limited to general information.

However, tour operators’ distribution channels are wide open with members of four tourism associations (Association of Domestic Travel, Thai Ecotourism and Adventure Travel Association, Thai Tourism Promotion Association and Association of Thai Tour Operators) offering four tour programmes scheduled during weekends until January that combine train and bus with visits to both Hua Hin resort and Prachuap Khiri Khan, Nakhon Pathom, Phetchaburi and Samut Sonkram (varies from programme to programme). Prices start from Bt2,999 inclusive of transport, meals, guide, admission fee, accommodation (share-twin) and insurance. The details of each tour is available on www.huahinclassic.com. Buying the trip requires the traveller to contact the individual travel agency.

Considering the service is ready to roll it is surprising that TAT has done so little to market the project in advance. It also not clear what is the target audience – domestic or international travellers (group tourists or individuals). The train journey takes around four hours compared with two hours by road. If travel agents sell it they will probably offer just the one-way trip. In the domestic market the roundtrip is a more likely choice, or it might be combined with a tour bus making sightseeing stops on the route back to Bangkok.

After a trial period, the project will be transferred to the SRT for long-term management. It could take a few years to reach a return on investment, but it will be viewed as a trial model that if successful SRT could introduce elsewhere.

Source: TTR
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Lung Per
Legend
Legend

Re: Tourist train to launch in Hua Hin

Post by Lung Per »

Another white elephant in the making? I'm not sure. But I do wish it success.
Personally I would recommend a trip with Mr. Ray's Jazz Train excursion, a private initiative launched by the owner of the famous open-air midtown reataurant "Ray's Place" which features live jazz by local and visiting farang performers Mondays and Thursdays. The next Jazz Train is scheduled for January. Go see Mr. Ray for details. :blues: :rasta:
(FYI: I have no financial or other interest in said establishment)
A friend is only one click away
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by margaretcarnes »

I think it's an excellent idea, and if done properly (ie the rolling stock is half way decent and the trains run to time) it could be a good tourist attraction as far as HH is concerned. Let's face it there really isn't an awful lot to do around HH is there? And the prices wouldn't deter your package deal people.
I'm not so sure that a lot of tourists in Bkk would bother to find HuaLamphong though. It tends to be more backpackers who use the trains from there, and they wouldn't need to fork out for a rail special.
Worth a try anyway - once Lingyuk can get off her backside that is. Meanwhile the tourist season is plodding on and they could miss out.

Rail specials do very well here in the UK but 1) we are a nation of train lovers and 2) we have a good supply of well preserved old locos and carriages. I live next to a main line and just today a Great Western Pullman went out on a day excursion. These specials are always very popular - full - and sadly very expensive. The Settle Carlisle is still on my wish list but costs a weeks' housekeeping for me! :cry:
A sprout is for life - not just for Christmas.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

margaretcarnes wrote:if done properly (ie the rolling stock is half way decent and the trains run to time) it could be a good tourist attraction
I'm not sure about tourist attraction, it would certainly be quite a novelty.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
Dr Mike
Guru
Guru

Post by Dr Mike »

Yesterday I took the High-Speed train from Shanghai to Beijing.
Top speed 312K/Hr (194m/hr) with stops it averaged 230K/H (143m/hr)
that would mean 1 hour to Bangkok.
It was clean, very smooth and the staff were very courteous.
It would have been a little faster but it slowed for about half an hour as we were going through a snow storm.
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

Dr Mike wrote:Yesterday I took the High-Speed train from Shanghai to Beijing.
Top speed 312K/Hr (194m/hr) with stops it averaged 230K/H (143m/hr)
that would mean 1 hour to Bangkok.
It was clean, very smooth and the staff were very courteous.
It would have been a little faster but it slowed for about half an hour as we were going through a snow storm.
Similar story, last week I had the opportunity to try the Taiwan High Speed Rail (HSR)

I travelled from Taipei to Tainan (approx 260 Km), stopping at 3 stations along the way. Total time 90 Minutes (minute perfect for departure and arrival times). The trains have a top speed of 300 km/h although as mine was a stopping train we only occasionally reached speeds of 285 km/h. The trains are electric powered and supplied from Japan (Similar to the Shinkansen but modified to a higher specification)

The comfort is excellent with 2 + 3 seating abreast in Economy and 2 + 2 in Business Class. I travelled economy and there was ample room even for a larger framed person such as myself

Bangkok to Hua Hin.....If Only!
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Big Boy wrote:
margaretcarnes wrote:if done properly (ie the rolling stock is half way decent and the trains run to time) it could be a good tourist attraction
I'm not sure about tourist attraction, it would certainly be quite a novelty.
Tourists? BB, they would love it if it's comfortable and reasonably priced. I'm with Mags on this one. Given a choice of travel I'm with rail all the time. Screw planes, screw cars. Relaxing, countryside you never see in an SUV or a plane and if done properly, fast and pleasant.
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I wasn't thinking so much about comfort and price - it's the timekeeping I was referring to. I've never known a Thai train to be on time yet. Therefore a Thai train that kept to schedule would definitely be a novelty.
Relaxing, countryside you never see in an SUV or a plane and if done properly, fast and pleasant.
Takes about 50% longer by rail than it does by road.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
Dr Mike
Guru
Guru

Post by Dr Mike »

Not on Hi-speed trains they take a third of the time. On the Shanhgai >Beijing route they are really cutting into the airlines business as the Railway stations are much more central. Ticketing and security take a fraction of the time, arriving at the station 20 mins before departure very reasonable and when the train stops you are off into subway or taxi line in 5 minutes.
sarnie

Post by sarnie »

About time something was done about Drink Driving why do people in Thailand think its ok there is a valid reason why you should not drink drive
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

sarnie wrote:About time something was done about Drink Driving why do people in Thailand think its ok there is a valid reason why you should not drink drive
TIT, Buddha take care.
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.