Pitbulls

Discussion on family life, childcare, home making, shopping, lifestyle, pet care, gardening and general household issues.
PeteC

Pitbulls

Post by PeteC »

This one is going to raise some hackles no doubt, so be it. If there ever was a domestic dog breed that should be eliminated from the earth, it's this one. They are bred for one thing and one thing only, and no matter how docile the owner says it is, it can and will turn on both strangers and family with no warning or provocation. Read the world's local newspapers and you'll see an incident somewhere almost daily, and that's just the English speaking papers. Here's one now from Thailand:

Man mauled to death by four pitbulls
February 10, 2012 3:50 pm

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakin ... 75606.html

Chachoengsao - A man was found death Friday morning with serious wounds apparently inflicted by dogs, police said.

Police said Khamchan Kalawong, 47, was apparently mauled by four pitbull terriers of his neighbour Thursday night. He was apparently walking home in Khaowong village in Tambon Tha Takiab of Tha Takiab district when he was attacked.

The owner of the dogs found the body late morning Friday and informed police at 11:30 am.

The man had over 20 serious wounds all over his body. His body was sent to the Tha Takiab District Hospital for an autopsy.

The Nation

The only reasoning I can see for people buying these beasts is to make a statement, "I am a tough guy and therefore I have a tough dog...." :roll: There are so many other breeds out there, good breeds, I can't think of any other explanation than the aforementioned as to why anyone would buy one.

I hope slowly but surely they're outlawed, and eventually the breed disappears. :idea: Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
advocate
Professional
Professional

Re: Pitbulls

Post by advocate »

My former neighbor, a Thai policeman, had one of these. A very large musclebound beast whch had already killed 2 of the neigbors dogs before charging my pregnant wife as she opened the gate to let some workers in. Thankfully they were armed with pieces of wood, pipe, and their steel hoes, and were able to beat it back.

I have no doubt that if something was not done it would have eventually attacked the local children. One of the Thai neighbors poisoned it.
Checker66
Novice
Novice

Post by Checker66 »

I totally agree that these beasts should be eliminated NOW . . . This is a vicious breed of dog which will kill at the first opportunity. I am sick of hearing that "it is not the breed it is the owner". If that is the case then it is time to eliminate the owner. . . . . .
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

If that is the case then it is time to eliminate the owner. . . . . .
I agree with that. My brother had one for years and it was a very nice dog and a great guard dog and was wonderful with his children.... but you have to train them properly and keep them locked inside your property unless on a leash. They should never be allowed to roam free.

I suspect that a lot of them owned by Thais are trained to be fighting dogs which makes them very dangerous.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
crazy88
Deceased
Deceased

Post by crazy88 »

Agree on the owner elimination point, not put them down of course but some people just do not know how to keep a dog or assess one before they take it on. Others abuse them and/or fail to recognise the traits in a dog that will turn or, sometimes on purpose, treat the dog in such a way that it will.

http://dogbitelaw.com/dog-bite-statisti ... -kill.html

Crazy 88
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

prcscct wrote:This one is going to raise some hackles no doubt, so be it. If there ever was a domestic dog breed that should be eliminated from the earth, it's this one. They are bred for one thing and one thing only, and no matter how docile the owner says it is, it can and will turn on both strangers and family with no warning or provocation.
I totally agree with you Pete. They're banned in the UK and it's an offence to breed them - I guess, eventually, they will disappear (hopefully). However, while other countries continue to breed them they'll still be around.

Unfortunately, most dog owners in Thailand haven't got a clue how to train a dog. The only command I've heard a Thai give a dog is 'bai' (go away). It's just a animal to have wandering around the house and neighbourhood that you feed. Thais even say 'I feed a dog', when they actually mean 'I have a dog'. Ownership, along with responsibility, doesn't seem to come into it. :(

VS
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
H2ODunc
Professional
Professional

Post by H2ODunc »

I fully agree that this is a breed of dog that should be slowly eliminated from the breeds of dog. The type of person that wants to own such a dog is the main problem. I have a friend here on Samui. he has an American pitbull dog. He walks it with a huge stainless chain and keeps it in a cage under the rented house. His Thai neighbours have told him the first time it gets out they are going to shoot it. Why on earth does somebody want such a vicious animal as a pet ?
When I was young my father was an agricultural contractor. I used to help out after school and at weekends. We used to go to a farm where the old guy used to breed very expensive bulls and pedigree sheep dogs. He once told me that you should never have a dog that you can't beat in a fight as he said some day it will come down to who will win that fight no matter how you trained the dog as it was simply instinct.
I never once had a dog I couldn't kick the crap out of since :thumb: :D
I never forget a face but in your case I'll make an exception!
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

This TV presented should have know better than to try and kiss a dog she'd only just met, but...

The host, who has worked at KUSA-TV in Denver, Colorado for the past 15 years, was attacked by Max, an 85 pound Argentine mastiff earlier this week.
The three year-old dog and its owner, Michael Robinson, had appeared on her station’s popular news show on Wednesday to discuss the pet’s rescue from a local frozen pond.

The appearance was intended to reunite the dog, which has a full name Warrior Maximus, with its rescuer, Tyler Sugaski, a local firefighter after it chased a coyote into the ice the previous week.
As the popular host told the dog he was “gorgeous” and “Happy Valentine’s Day”, it attacked her without warning, sinking her teeth into her face and biting her lip as she leant forward to kiss it.
Footage of the horrifying incident, which has been reported around the world, then showed the host falling backwards and appearing stunned at the attack.
Cameras then cut to a clearly shocked co-host Gary Shapiro, who after a long pause, then went on to introduce a weather story.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okJL4x8N ... r_embedded
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
Roel
Guru
Guru

Post by Roel »

H2ODunc wrote:Why on earth does somebody want such a vicious animal as a pet ?
I don't think many owners see it as a pet. They more think of it as a weapon. The dog is trained to be aggressive and is used to intimidate others and it probably gives the owner the same feeling as if he is carrying a gun. Sad really.
We are all living in 'the good old days' of the future.
advocate
Professional
Professional

Post by advocate »

I once went to a client's home that had a pitbull in the yard. I didn'y want to enter, but he said no problem, she's never bitten anyone before. As soon as I turned my back on it, it bit me in the ass. Luckily, I had heavy winter boots on and was able to kick it in the mouth as it came for seconds.

Some of them are so powerfull and muscular it looks like they are on steroids. They were originally bred for fighting other dogs. They are a mix b/w bulldog and mastiff. The problem with these dogs is not that they are more prone to attack humans, it's that when they do, the damage inflicted can be fatal. They are bred for strength and tenacity, so once they attack, they won't stop unless beaten back.

I will never trust another pitbull again.
Roel
Guru
Guru

Post by Roel »

Also not this one?
Attachments
Nice doggy, good doggy!.jpg
Nice doggy, good doggy!.jpg (56 KiB) Viewed 998 times
We are all living in 'the good old days' of the future.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Vital Spark wrote:This TV presenter should have know better than to try and kiss a dog she'd only just met
Shucks yes, but you know how it is sometimes, VS... :oops:
This is the way
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

IMO, you have to be really careful when crossbreeding certain breeds. I've read that two gentle giants, the Golden Retriever and the Golden Labrador results many times in an ill-tempered and snappy dog. I saw a Golden Retriever and Alsatian mix tear a rather big and tough soi dog limb from limb, while sitting at our little Thai restaurant the other week. He had a collar on so belonged to someone but simply walked up the other dog and let loose with no provocation that I saw. It certainly wasn't his territory. Quite an ugly mix of dog as well to my eye. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
lindosfan1
Deceased
Deceased

Post by lindosfan1 »

As a dog lover, I agree entirely about this breed of dog. The danger in Thailand and other countries where stray dogs are plentiful if the pitbulls are left to roam the streets or escape and they interbreed with the strays you will have a massive problem. They should be banned worldwide. But remember where these dogs came from. HUMANS (that word used loosely in this sentence) breeding them.
Woke up this morning breathing that's a good start to the day.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

My 11 year old daughter's dog is a pitbull cross. Doesn't bark, plays with our siamese cat and can often be seen being chased by said cat. Soft as putty. Walks to heel even without a lead. It's most dangerous trait is it could lick you to death!! Everyone comments on what a well behaved dog it is. Sometimes sleeps with my daughter. Another dog comes near, it hides! No worries with this dog at all. In the past, back in the UK, I've had german shepherd and a boxer and never had a problem. I've no worries with this dog. Again, back to the owners.
Incidentally, if a Yorkshire Terrier had the size and weight, then that would be one of the most dangerous dogs around.