One dead as airplane makes an emergency landing in Suvarnabhumi

Sub-forum for discussion on air travel, airports, and airlines.
Bamboo Grove

One dead as airplane makes an emergency landing in Suvarnabhumi

Post by Bamboo Grove »

A London to Singapore flight encountered strong turbulence and had to make an emergency landing in Suwannaphoom airport.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... varnabhumi
Sieppaa.PNG
caller
Hero
Hero

Re: One dead as airplane makes an emergency landing in Suvarnabhumi

Post by caller »

Very sad news. News is still sketchy, The beeb said the plane tilted upwards before a massive drop, when those not belted up went into the ceiling of the cabin.
Talk is cheap
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Some photos and more details here:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-05-21/ ... /103876370

British man, 73, dead and 18 others hospitalised after London-Singapore flight hits severe turbulence

The flight fell into an air pocket while the cabin crew was serving breakfast, Suvarnabhumi airport general manager Kittipong Kittikachorn told a press conference.

He said a 73-year-old British man died during the incident, likely due to a heart attack.

Singapore Airlines also confirmed the death and said 18 people were hospitalised, including a crew member.

Mr Kittikachorn said head injuries were sustained among seven people who were critically injured.

more..................................
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

From Khaosod English:

Samitivej Srinakarin Hospital has released a statement regarding the mass casualty incident of a Singapore Airlines plane experiencing severe air turbulence on May 21.

"Samitivej Hospital expresses condolences to those who lost their lives in the incident on Singapore Airlines flight SQ 321.

A total of 71 injured passengers were sent to Samitivej Srinakarin Hospital for treatment and are being closely cared for by the hospital's multidisciplinary medical team, divided into:

26 patients with minor injuries, 4 of whom were transferred to Samitivej Sukhumvit Hospital.

39 patients with moderate injuries, 4 of whom were transferred to Samitivej Sukhumvit Hospital and 2 to Bangkok Hospital.

6 patients with severe injuries.

There were no fatalities among those sent to the hospital and no deaths at the hospital.....
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

From the BBC:

Singapore Airlines details nationalities of those on board

In its statement, Singapore Airlines also provided details on the nationalities of those on the flight.

As a reminder, there were a total of 211 passengers and 18 crew on board.

The nationalities of the passengers are:

56 from Australia
47 from the United Kingdom
41 from Singapore
23 from New Zealand
16 from Malaysia
Five from the Philippines
Four from Ireland
Four from the US
Three from India
Two from Indonesia
Two from Myanmar
Two from Spain
Two from Canada
One from Germany
One from Israel
One from Iceland
One from South Korea
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

Most of us don't keep our seatbelts fastened all of the time that we are seated, even loosely. These events are rare but it hits home when they happen. I don't suppose I'll change my behaviour because of this news. I don't really know why, but I'm hardly alone.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

I suppose that is a reflection on my pilot training, but my seat belt remains loosely fastened while I am seated. I even have qualms about a short visit to the toilet! It seems that a lot of passengers have no idea about what may happen at anytime. And then there are the complete idiots that unbuckle the belt, and even stand up, as soon as the aircraft touches down! :guns:
The following explains a bit about turbulence. And regarding the comment that the crew where serving breakfast; passengers have no excuse for not having the seat belt fastened while this is in progress!

What causes turbulence and how often is it as severe as the Singapore Airlines flight?

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-05-22/ ... /103876998

What happened to flight SQ321?

The flight fell into an air pocket while the cabin crew was serving breakfast, Suvarnabhumi Airport general manager Kittipong Kittikachorn told a press conference.

Experiencing what's been classed as "severe turbulence", the aircraft went into a steep drop while it was over the Andaman Sea, near Myanmar.
Last edited by Nereus on Wed May 22, 2024 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I’m not sure why, but I always keep my seatbelt fitted during the whole flight other than when going to the bathroom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I don't see the problem in remaining buckled up. It doesn't cause any discomfort, does it? Some people are little more than naughty kids, and have to ignore good advice because they can.
And then there are the complete idiots that unbuckle the belt, and even stand up, as soon as the aircraft touches down!
And then stand in the aisle, often in a contorted position for 15 minutes, because 50% of the flight has done the same, and find themselves in that uncomfortable position for 15 minutes whilst the seats in front of them disembark first. They aren't going anywhere because they'll still have to wait for their baggage with everybody else.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

Big Boy wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 11:23 am And then there are the complete idiots that unbuckle the belt, and even stand up, as soon as the aircraft touches down!
And then stand in the aisle, often in a contorted position for 15 minutes, because 50% of the flight has done the same, and find themselves in that uncomfortable position for 15 minutes whilst the seats in front of them disembark first. They aren't going anywhere because they'll still have to wait for their baggage with everybody else.
You're talking about 95pct at least of cattle class passengers on any flight. A bit high handed to call almost all passengers 'naughty kids'! Also if you ever fly again check the number of seated passengers in flight with seatbelts buckled.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

OK, if not naughty kids, why do they ignore the advice from the airline, which has been given for their own comfort/safety? What collective description would you give?

These are probably the same kind of people who come to Thailand, hire a motorcycle with no valid licence and refuse to wear a helmet.

Points 51; Position 21
buksida

Post by buksida »

Maybe standing up in a contorted position for a few minutes offers a minor relief from being squished into a cattle-class seat for the past 12 hours. :idea:

I often get up and walk about when on a plane, it relieves the aches and pains of not being able to afford business class!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

buksida wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 12:29 pm I often get up and walk about when on a plane, it relieves the aches and pains of not being able to afford business class!
I do as well, but buckle up when seated.

I miss the old jumbos, where you could have a really good walk around the plane, and you would always find a couple of like minded souls standing by the service areas, having a beer, outside of feeding times, of course.
Talk is cheap
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

buksida wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 12:29 pm I often get up and walk about when on a plane, it relieves the aches and pains of not being able to afford business class!
Yes, we all have to take nature breaks, and I agree its good to stretch your legs occasionally. From memory, the safety advice does state 'whilst seated.'
Maybe standing up in a contorted position for a few minutes offers a minor relief from being squished into a cattle-class seat for the past 12 hours
The contorted position was in reference to standing in the aisle after the plane has landed. I've often watched the passengers who cram into the aisles and stand there waiting for the plane to offload. Not only are they stood in unnatural positions, they have often removed luggage from the overhead lockers and are struggling with their 7Kg (yeah, right) allowance. They just look soooo uncomfortable. Why not just sit in your seat for a few minutes more? Is there really such urgency to wait for your luggage at the conveyor belt?

Points 51; Position 21
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

caller wrote:I miss the old jumbos, where you could have a really good walk around the plane, and you would always find a couple of like minded souls standing by the service areas, having a beer, outside of feeding times, of course.
Oh yes, many a party attended, even won a heart on one memorable occasion! And that was also in the days when smoking was still allowed! :D
Forgot: also cockpit visits were allowed! :thumb: