Professional Golf

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
PeteC

Professional Golf

Post by PeteC »

Quite a final round for Rory! Fun to watch this one. :cheers:

McIlroy storms to Wells Fargo Championship win

https://www.bbc.com/sport/golf/articles/cmm3qpd16jzo

......A stunning final back nine saw Rory McIlroy reel in overnight leader Xander Schauffele and claim a fourth career Wells Fargo Championship.

McIlroy trailed by two shots after seven holes but a run of four birdies and two eagles from the next eight saw the 35-year-old surge six shots clear.

The Northern Irishman eventually carded six-under 65 to beat American Schauffele by five shots at Quail Hollow.

McIlroy has now claimed back-to-back PGA titles after winning the Zurich Classic alongside Shane Lowry a fortnight ago.

The world number two says it feels like the "stars are aligning" as he turns his attention to next week's US PGA Championship at Valhalla - the scene of his most recent major championship victory in 2014........
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Re: Professional Golf

Post by dtaai-maai »

There's some bizarre news coming out about the arrest of world no.1 Scottie Scheffler as he was trying to enter the Valhalla golf club for the 2nd round of the PGA Championhip. There had been a nasty traffic accident earlier, causing a traffic jam, which Scheffler had tried to get around.

It's all over the internet so I won't bother with links.
This is the way
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/golf/articles/c977gnrnyqpo
All police charges dropped against Scottie Scheffler
Absolutely no surprise there!
This is the way
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

This is the best kind of Good News story! :D :D :thumb: :thumb: :cheers:

MacIntyre wins first PGA Tour title with dad on bag

https://www.bbc.com/sport/golf/articles/crggzkdn9wwo. (Photos)

Canadian Open final leaderboard

-16 R MacIntyre (Sco); -15 B Griffin (US); -14 V Perez (Fra); -13 T Kim (Kor), R McIlroy (NI); -12 C Connors (Can)

Selected others: -8 A Rai (Eng); -7 D Skinns (Eng), T Fleetwood (Eng); -5 M Wallace (Eng)

Scotland's Robert MacIntyre held off a host of challengers to win his first PGA Tour title at the RBC Canadian Open.

MacIntyre, whose caddie at Hamilton Golf and Country Club was his father Dougie, the head greenkeeper at Glencruitten Golf Club in Oban, recovered from a shaky start to win by one on 16 under par.

"I'm crying with joy, but I'm laughing because I didn't think it was possible," said MacIntyre, whose £1.33m prize is the biggest financial win by a Scottish golfer at a single event.

"I was going down the last and my dad's trying to tell me to stay focused and swing smooth because [on Saturday] I got a little bit too fast, but in my head I wasn't listening to him.

"I wanted to win this for my dad. This is the guy who has taught me the game of golf and I just can't believe I have done this with him on the bag.

"This is just everything for me and family, my girlfriend, my team."

The 27-year-old hit a closing two-under-par 68 to finish ahead of American Ben Griffin with Frenchman Victor Perez a further stroke back and Northern Ireland's Rory McIlroy on 13 under along with South Korea's Tom Kim.

MacIntyre is the first Scottish player to win on the PGA Tour since Martin Laird in 2020 and the victory secured his place at the US Open, which starts on 13 June at Pinehurst in North Carolina.

He had led by four shots going into the final round but saw that advantage disappear after he bogeyed the first and home favourite Mackenzie Hughes made three early birdies.

The Scot responded superbly to birdie the fourth, seventh and eighth holes to regain control of the £7.4m event, despite having to ask for a drone being used for the television coverage to be moved on several occasions before he finally got his wish.

Another birdie on the 11th was followed by a wild tee shot on the 12th into a water hazard and another bogey on the 13th opened the door for the chasing pack, but Europe's Ryder Cup winner crucially birdied the 15th.

Griffin had piled on the pressure with birdies on the 15th, 16th and 17th to close within one of his playing partner but could not find another as MacIntyre safely parred the last three holes.

After two-putting from 12 feet for the win, he embraced his father, who had been called on to caddie at short notice as MacIntyre is without a regular bag carrier at present.

"It's unbelievable. I'm a grasscutter not a caddie," MacIntyre senior said.

"Last Saturday night, I'm sitting on the couch at home and I'm [thinking], can I leave my job here, I'm busy at work.

"Eight o'clock the next morning, I'm on a flight out here and wow."
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source