TV series worth watching/downloading

Discussion, recommendations and reviews for music, movies, books and games. Creative arts, crafts and photography welcome.
pharvey

Re: TV series worth watching/downloading

Post by pharvey »

dtaai-maai wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 1:35 pm ......so consider me converted.
Oh good God, to what now? [EDIT] Sorry, wrong thread :wink:

Anywho, I've never watched an episode of "Alone", the US, AUS versions or otherwise, but the following vid does give some insights perhaps.... :D

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

dtaai-maai wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 1:35 pm I watched Deep State a little while ago and enjoyed it very much, though I preferred the first series starring Mark Strong.
Thanks, I'll definitely watch the first one.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

I didn't warm to Shardlake until the second episode was well underway but the series was good I think, though I'm no usual watcher of the medieval detective genre.

I often have problems with colour-blind casting especially in historical settings but I have no serious complaint here, except to say that I found the casting of a Lenny Henry lookalike as the Abbot distracted me.

Katanga!
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

sateeb wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 6:35 am Dramas I'm really enjoying at the moment, in no particular order of merit.

A gentleman In Moscow ( the book is fantastic)
Just watched this (only 3 episodes). Splendid acting, atmospheric setting and an interesting, moving and occasionally tragic tale.

The gentleman, Count Rostov (splendidly portrayed by Ewan McGregor), is one of the few remaining members of the Russian aristocracy after the Revolution.
Based on the 2016 novel by Amor Towles, "A Gentleman in Moscow" is set against the backdrop of post-Revolutionary Russia, where Count Alexander Rostov is stripped of his title and material wealth, and placed under house arrest for life in a grand Moscow hotel. Unlikely friendships, fleeting romance and the hotel's occupants open the Count's eyes to the hidden wonders of the hotel, and the enduring power of human connection. After losing everything, he must learn that true riches are found in love, courage and community.
I'll definitely be reading the book, thanks very much for this recommendation, sateeb.
This is the way
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

I watched the first episode of The Regime. I would usually watch at least two episodes of a series before deciding if it's viewable, but didn't need to. It's leaden, crass and unfunny. Its writing is an insult to intelligence (I even enjoy Palm Royale for heaven's sake). Just a heads up.
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

404cameljockey wrote:I watched the first episode of The Regime. I would usually watch at least two episodes of a series before deciding if it's viewable, but didn't need to. It's leaden, crass and unfunny. Its writing is an insult to intelligence (I even enjoy Palm Royale for heaven's sake). Just a heads up.
I tried episode 1 about 2 weeks ago and reached the same conclusion

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

Pagey
Legend
Legend

Post by Pagey »

At least 4 episodes of series 3 of Clarksons Farm now available to download.
'If you didn't have a wasted youth you wasted your youth'

Man in pub circa 1987.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

I enjoyed The Red King. Very, very The Wicker Man.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

I think this season of Clarkson's Farm is the best so far. He's really a farmer now, albeit not a great one. I really feel his heart is in it. I'm happy he makes money from TV because all small-scale farming is fraught with disaster. :)
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

404cameljockey wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 5:59 pm I think this season of Clarkson's Farm is the best so far. He's really a farmer now, albeit not a great one. I really feel his heart is in it. I'm happy he makes money from TV because all small-scale farming is fraught with disaster. :)
I can remember years ago when it was a case of “there’s no such thing as a poor farmer” now it’s a case of “no rich farmers”!!
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Dannie Boy wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 6:05 pm
404cameljockey wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 5:59 pm I think this season of Clarkson's Farm is the best so far. He's really a farmer now, albeit not a great one. I really feel his heart is in it. I'm happy he makes money from TV because all small-scale farming is fraught with disaster. :)
I can remember years ago when it was a case of “there’s no such thing as a poor farmer” now it’s a case of “no rich farmers”!!
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Dannie Boy wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 6:05 pm I can remember years ago when it was a case of “there’s no such thing as a poor farmer” now it’s a case of “no rich farmers”!!
Well, I know a couple (small scale of course) who don't earn what they used to through the whole EU BS, but believe me are far from poor.

As for Clarkson's Farm... Not seen one, think the guy is a twat basically. But of course each to their own. :bow:
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

pharvey wrote:
Dannie Boy wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 6:05 pm I can remember years ago when it was a case of “there’s no such thing as a poor farmer” now it’s a case of “no rich farmers”!!
Well, I know a couple (small scale of course) who don't earn what they used to through the whole EU BS, but believe me are far from poor.

As for Clarkson's Farm... Not seen one, think the guy is a twat basically. But of course each to their own. :bow:
Well he is a twat but in this programme I can tolerate him - almost enjoy his childish pranks as he’s portraying how difficult it is for lots of farmers to make a decent living (I accept that some do, but an awful lot don’t). Maybe give it a try - you might be converted from how you see him in his motoring programmes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Dannie Boy wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 11:51 pm Well he is a twat but in this programme I can tolerate him - almost enjoy his childish pranks as he’s portraying how difficult it is for lots of farmers to make a decent living (I accept that some do, but an awful lot don’t). Maybe give it a try - you might be converted from how you see him in his motoring programmes?
Fair enough, point taken... :thumb:
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Dark Matter

I've just started the second of 3 seasons (13 episodes each) of this excellent (IMO) sci-fi show. Note the date as another sci-fi series of the same name has recently started on Apple TV+.
Six people wake up on a spaceship in the farthest corner of space with their memories wiped off. However, they find a cargo full of weapons and their destination set to a remote mining colony.
I'm bingeing on all 3 seasons, season downloads from eztv and PB.
This is the way