Hua Hin dual-track rail project to go ahead

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
centermid7
Banned
Banned

Re: Minivan, bus and road accidents

Post by centermid7 »

Dannie Boy wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 10:53 pm
HHTel wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 10:00 pm Many of the crossings north of HH are unprotected since work was started on the 'double rail'.
Talking of the new rail track being laid, I don’t know if it’s the same everywhere but the fence they’ve put up near where our house is can’t be any more than about 4 ft high. If that’s the final height then anybody wanting to get over it will have no problem!!
So . . . how high do you want it to be?
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

More to the point. How high have they been to date. I'd guess the answer is probably no fence at all. So why should it be any different?

Putting any kind of fence up is a step in the right direction.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

centermid7 wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 9:26 am
Dannie Boy wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 10:53 pm
HHTel wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 10:00 pm Many of the crossings north of HH are unprotected since work was started on the 'double rail'.
Talking of the new rail track being laid, I don’t know if it’s the same everywhere but the fence they’ve put up near where our house is can’t be any more than about 4 ft high. If that’s the final height then anybody wanting to get over it will have no problem!!
So . . . how high do you want it to be?
A fence alongside a fast moving railway line moving in both directions should be sufficiently high to act as a deterrent/obstacle - 4 ft is neither. a 2 metre high fence would be a sufficient deterrent - at this height they might have well as not bothered.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

HHTel wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 10:01 am More to the point. How high have they been to date. I'd guess the answer is probably no fence at all. So why should it be any different?

Putting any kind of fence up is a step in the right direction.
Up until now the trains have been slow moving in one direction only (at a time). The new trains are supposed to be a lot faster so the risks increase - my view is that if you’re going to put a fence up make it a decent height otherwise it will be a waste of time. They’ve spent millions building flyovers rather than crossings but then leave it open to people to hop over the fence.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: Hua Hin dual-track rail project to go ahead

Post by HHTel »

There are no new 'faster' trains planned. The journey is only quicker because there'll be no need for 'passing' delays. They'll be the same trains as running today. There is of course a time when both trains are passing.
You're right in that they've spent billions on the station and overpasses and the cost of building fences would be a drop in the ocean!
You're not confusing the dual track with future proposed 'high speed' trains? That hasn't even been approved on this line and is still only a proposal.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I thought there were new engines being planned. What were the new engines purchased about 2/3 weeks ago to be used for?
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

The new locomotives will replace old engines that have been in service for almost 50 years.

The locomotives were imported by SFR Consortium, which won the contract with a bid of 6.52 billion baht in August 2020. The remaining 30 locomotives along with spare parts must be delivered before February 2023, according to the contract.

“The new diesel-electric locomotives use German-made engines and have an axel load of 16 tonnes, one tonne higher than the diesel electric locomotives currently used in Thailand,” said SRT governor Nirut Maneephan on Friday. “This will help boost SRT’s efficiency in terms of train service quality, reliability and safety.”

Nirut added that the new locomotives have a maximum speed of 120 kilometres per hour while hauling passenger cars and 70kph for cargo. They come equipped with an ATP [Automatic Train Protection] brake system and CCTV cameras, have low emission rates and are compatible European Train Control System (ETCS) level 1.
https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40011931

I read somewhere else (I'll find it) that even the 120 kph locomotives are limited to 100 kph. Not really that fast at 60 mph!

One of the problems is the small 1 metre rail guage in Thailand
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I've just read back through this thread, and with the claimed 40 stops between Nakhon Pathom and Prachuap, 60 mph sounds like plenty fast enough, else they'd need new brakes after every trip :D.

Points 51; Position 21
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

40 stops! They'd be lucky to reach 60 mph,
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Post by Gregjam »

I predict that once two lines are working there will be a few accidents where the locals are so used to crossing when the train has passed that they will start to cross and get hit by the train coming the other way.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

"16 tons and what do you get?
Another day older and deeper in debt."
Tennesee Ernie Ford.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Gregjam wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 4:00 pm I predict that once two lines are working there will be a few accidents where the locals are so used to crossing when the train has passed that they will start to cross and get hit by the train coming the other way.
Exactly, ok for cars and motorcycles they have no alternative but to use the flyovers but foot passengers will be tempted to hop over the fence - Somchai having drunk his whiskey will have no problems climbing the fence, but might not have the awareness to dodge the trains!!
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Gregjam wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 4:00 pm I predict that once two lines are working there will be a few accidents where the locals are so used to crossing when the train has passed that they will start to cross and get hit by the train coming the other way.
While I can see this happening, it should be quite rare, if at all. There are only 11 trains each way (total of 22) daily. There will be occasions where trains going both ways pass each other at a crossing but I wouldn't imagine that happening often. 11 trains each way in a 24 hour period!!

I think we're reading more into this than necessary.

There have been 5 rail crossing accidents since 2020.

Around 150 people are killed annually while crossing a rail track. The majority of these are at 'unofficial' crossings and mostly 'upcountry'.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I was hoping the dual track might increase service frequency. Then there's freight + the little service car, which takes everybody by surprise.

Points 51; Position 21
Groodman

Post by Groodman »

From what I have seen in the Bangsaphan area if the locals want a regular crossing they will make a hole in the fence so it does not matter if the fence is 4or 40 metersงบ