Land, building a house in Huai Yang/Thap Sakae

Ask here about the pleasures and pitfalls of buying, selling or renting property and real estate in Hua Hin. Building, design and construction topics welcome. Commercial or promotional posts for real estate companies or private properties are forbidden.
Tasman
Novice
Novice

Land, building a house in Huai Yang/Thap Sakae

Post by Tasman »

Huai Yang, in Thap Sakae district, Prachuab Kiri Khan province.

Is there anyone on here who lives in or near this area? I'd like to know more about the area to the west of the highway rather than the area near the beach. My wife is from around there, and although her immediate family left when she was young, she still has some aunts, uncles and cousins living around there.

Apparently my wife can get some farm land, 2.5 rai, from her mother (who lives in Hua Hin), who inheritated it from her mother (who is deceased), for next to nothing, just pay to transfer title I believe. It is Nor Sor Sam. The aunt and uncle own the land adjacent. This is the land where my wife lived when she was a girl but she tells me the house is no longer standing. The land is not right beside the road I have been told. It seems my wife's brothers and sisters who live in Hua Hin are not really interested in it for some reason.

I had the idea to perhaps build a small house on this land as a future semi-retirement pad. Spend about 3-4 months in Thailand every year sort of thing with occasional trips to Hua Hin. We are living and working in my home country currently and likely to be here for the next 10 years approximately although we try to holiday in Thailand for a few weeks each year if possible. We have a 6 year old son who of course is half-Thai, he was born in Hua Hin. He would eventually inherit this land or house from his mother.

What would be the cost of building a small house there, and would it be worth the effort? How about things like electricity, water, sewage, wi-fi etc? My wife doesn't know because she hasn't been back there for so long.

I'm keen to listen to any advice, postive or negative about both the land, and/or the idea of building a house on it. What should I look out for and what are any potential problems?

Thanks.
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Re: Land, building a house in Huai Yang/Thap Sakae

Post by laphanphon »

Don't build anything until you are here, permanently, and don't build anything on land that doesn't have a red stamped 'Chanote'.

Don't build at all, until you live in an area, 'renting', for at least one year. See if it's for you, along with what the seasonal changes are.

What shopping is available also, for ease of everyday living. It's nice being in the middle of nowhere, until you need something. Sometimes as simple as red and green peppers, without traveling 10 or 20 kms to find.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Below is a summary of the land titles, so whilst it’s possible to get Nor Sor Sam (3) converted to full Chanote status, as advised above, do that first before building on the land and then, only when you’re comfortable with getting services provided - normally water and electric will be available, the cost of supply will depend on how far from the nearest existing supply point.

Title Deeds in Thailand may be mainly divided into 4 categories as follows:

Freehold Title Deed (Chanote Or Nor Sor 4)

This type of title grants the holder of this document full rights over the land, to deal with or to use it to the exclusion of others.

Thus, if you are planning to buy land in Thailand, this type of title deed is the best and most credible title deed to hold.

Nor Sor 3 Gor

A land 'awaiting' a full title deed is granted the document Nor Sor 3 Kor.
The land is measured by the Land Department; therefore, it has its exact boundaries.
This type of land may be sold, transferred, or mortgaged in the same manner as land with freehold title deed (Chanote) as long as it is ready to be a full title deed.
In order to change the title to a Chanote, the owner of the land may file a petition to the Land Department to file a request to change it to a full title deed (Chanote), and the Land Department may do so if there is no opposition made against the petition.

Nor Sor 3

The difference between this type of land title deed and the Nor Sor 3 Gor is that a land with Nor Sor 3 title has never yet been measured by the Land Department; hence the land has no exact boundaries.

The Nor Sor 3 title may later be switched to a Nor Sor 3 Gor then subsequently transform to that title to a freehold title deed (Chanote) in the future.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Also read the following:

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=37434&p=481144&hil ... ax#p481144

In some areas there may not be power and water available. In the case of electricity there are members on here that have been slugged 300 / 400 Thousand Baht by the PEA to install power lines including a transformer, which then becomes the property of the PEA.

Nothing wrong with taking on the land now, pay the taxes involved, and just sit on it for a couple of years. After all, no more land is being made!
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

Nereus wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:58 amNothing wrong with taking on the land now, pay the taxes involved, and just sit on it for a couple of years. After all, no more land is being made!
:thumb:

Especially if getting it on the cheap. Getting all involved to sign off, ASAP, and get the paperwork started. Could be a very nice investment for the future, especially 10 years from now.

Then worry about building and using for self...or selling and financing a different project. RE never a bad investment, especially if almost free..... :cheers:
Tasman
Novice
Novice

Post by Tasman »

Thanks, this is the sort of information and advice I was looking for. I kind of knew some of it already but it's good to have it reinforced. And I've always known that chanote is the preferred way to go. Nereus, interesting about the PEA charging for a new transformer!

My wife says when we visit Thailand next year we need to let her aunt & uncle know in advance. Apparently they need to make plans to arrange for someone to come out and measure things up. From the land office I think? Whether or not this is to make it chanote land or not I don't know. How much would that cost? Anyone? The total amount of land in the deceased grandmother's name is 7.5 rai which needs to be split into three plots of 2.5 rai each and have the boundary lines drawn up. The uncle and the aunt have always lived on their informally allocated plots. However they are keen to get everything formalised and officiated it seems.

One concern I had which I have bought up with my wife is access. If the land is not beside the road then I'm thinking one may have to cross the uncle's land to get to it. She said her cousin told her not to worry about that. But I do and will, and I won't do anything until there is guaranteed access.

My wife thinks it would only cost about 300,000 baht to get a plain jane Thai house built there. Anyone?
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

300k, can be done, and a very plain jane house. Though possibly, probably not 10 years from now, as pushing it now.

Do call well in advance for the Land Office to survey and divide and plug the land. I may take a few months ahead of time.

Without road access, it does throw a wrench into things. No problem when everyone is all smiles, but, what will the future hold, and if sold, what would the new owners allow.

Can have an easement put on their land deed, if they agree. I personally wouldn't allow, if owning, as then would seriously restrict my use, and future sale of said plot.

As always, only invest what you are willing or able to loose.

Chok Di
Tasman
Novice
Novice

Post by Tasman »

laphanphon, just wondering, do you live in or near that area? If so, what is it like to spend some time in?

Someone suggested renting before building however I don't think there would be many rental houses available in that area?
buksida

Post by buksida »

Huay Yang has a huge Swedish population which swells during the high season, and lots of farang housing estates so there are no shortage of places to rent. The beach is nothing special and the little town nondescript. To the north is Prachuap which is a little more lively, though not much, and to the south is Thap Sakae which is equally as quiet. West of the highway is all rural land, mainly pineapple, rubber and coconut. As said above you really should spend some time in the area before committing to a build, and 300k wont get you much these days.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
NOKYAI
Ace
Ace

Post by NOKYAI »

You could do a search for “knock down House”
These are essentially prefab houses that can be plonked down on your land with minimum foundations. They tend to have a 20 year guarantee and might be what you need until you retire and build something permanently. They start at about B200k, you get a nice 2-3 bed for your B 300k
Enjoying 'Retirement'....So many jobs to do, I don't know how I ever had time to work!
Tasman
Novice
Novice

Post by Tasman »

Thanks buksida. Yes it is the rural land to the west of the highway.
And NokYai my wife did mention those prefabricated houses that cost 200K-300K
Appreciate your replies.
T.O.M.
Banned
Banned

Post by T.O.M. »

Quote from the OP:....."It seems my wife's brothers and sisters who live in Hua Hin are not really interested in it for some reason."
In all my years here I have never heard of a Thai turning down something free or very cheap.....
The only reason I can think of, is the new land-tax, where unused land is taxed the highest.

As for road access, if you are locked by surrounding lands, the owners of those lands will have to grant you access...certain conditions and costs apply..

A lot of useful information here....https://pugnatorius.com/subdivision/
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

I'm just north of, at Prachuap municipality.
Tasman
Novice
Novice

Post by Tasman »

I think I already know the answer to this question unfortunately but I'll ask it anyway.
What is the likelihood of getting a good internet connection from the road? I'm guessing they'll have 3BB wifi or whatever near the beach but what about in the sticks?
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

Going to hit and miss. You might have fiber optics cable available, or barely get a data connection on your phone. Depends where exactly located.