'Miracle cure' trees sprout cash in Roi Et

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
BEARHUG
Banned
Banned

Post by BEARHUG »

News is spreading fast of a "miracle cure" for many illnesses allegedly contained in the leaves of the Hoan Ngoc tree sold by Thongsuk Suwansri.

The 65-year-old Tha Watchaburi woman sells each leaf for Bt10 and while she does not advertise, word of mouth has seen her daily income top five figures. People believe the leaves have magic properties and can cure even cancers.

Thongsuk has no medical training but turned to the leaves after seeing her husband respond to their properties.

"People call them magical leaves but, actually, they are Hoan Ngoc leaves," she said busily handing out the lucrative foliage to customers.

The tree is native to Vietnam. It has been grown here for just 10 years. Vietnam war veterans tried the leaves and reports spread of their recoveries.

"I now grow the plant for sale after seeing with my own eyes my husband improve wonderfully," she said. Husband Pim suffered 10 years from gall and kidney stones, asthma and a form of gastritis. Their daughter sent 100 leaves.

She claimed Pim was a new man after consuming about half the leaves. "Before he took the leaves he needed two operations to remove gallstones. Now, his health is fine," she said.

Pim's recovery was big news and soon neighbours and friends were knocking on the door seeking the herbal cure.

"I asked my daughter to buy Hoan Ngoc trees. We bought 30 for Bt50,000 and now we sell the leaves and sometimes a tree, too," she said. Trees cost between Bt800 and Bt1,000.

Neighbours have successfully battled cancer," she said. Others had treated different diseases.

"I haven't advertised the benefits of the leaf but it has become widely known through word of mouth," Thongsuk said.

Now the news media has caught on and Thongsuk and her leaves are becoming famous.

However, Roi Et public-health chief Dr Suwanchai Wattanayingcharoenchai warned there was no medical proof the leaves cured disease. "People are free to use herbs but they should exercise caution. It's best to consult an expert before use," he said.

Source: The Nation - 20 February 2007