European Championship 2016

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
Zidane
Guru
Guru

Re: European Championship 2016

Post by Zidane »

We shouldn't be too surprised that dumbo Woys experiment with 6 changes failed miserably.
No way Wilshere and Henderson should have played.They are not international class and only in the squad because of the paucity of midfielders.Surely Ross Barkley would have been a better option than either of these two ?
Of the two full backs,Clyne did quite well but is nowhere near as good as Walker and Bertrand was poor making too many dodgy challenges.
Upfront,Vardy started well but faded as the match progressed and Sturridge was pretty awful having one of those days when he is at his most frustrating !
Probably the only one who could be pleased with his performance was Dier who is having an excellent tournament.
Possibly Woy could have brought on young Rashford instead of the lumbering "Harry Redknapp" but the game had 0-0 written all over it,anyway.
So,if I've got this right,England will face the 2nd place team in Group F in the last 16 ? One of Portugal,Hungary,Austria or Iceland.It will probably be Portugal and England will lose on penalties after a 0-0 draw with Rooney being sent off for biting Ronaldo after 10 minutes !

Well done to Wales who easily saw off a poor Russian team,unlike England.They seem to have a much easier draw playing one of the third placed teams.Possibly one of Albania,Czech Republic or Northern Ireland.
That should have been Englands draw if tinkerman Woy hadn't screwed up....
We're all on our uppers,we're all going skint,
I used to suck fat cigars but now I suck Polo mints.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Big Boy wrote:And I still haven't seen anything to convince me that Harry Jane should be involved while we're still playing crap teams who basically park the bus. He is the wrong type of player for that sort of match. Against one of the decent teams, Germany, France, etc he would come into his own, but too lazy for this type of match.
Kane? Lazy? You obviously haven't seen him play much... :?

I think Kane should be played in his best position, centre forward, with Vardy and Alli in close support. Sterling should be ditched (he shouldn't have been there in the first place), as should Wilshire, and Sturridge should be on the bench. Lallana should be left on unless exhausted or injured, and Rose and Walker should definitely start. Dier has been England's best and most consistent player so far - a future Spurs and England captain I think.
This is the way
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Maybe lazy isn't the right word, but he isn't the workhorse you need against these crap teams. He is more of a footballer, and will come into his own against a better side.

It is unfortunate that decent teams are few and far between these days, and so many qualifiers to reach a true footballing stage. Too many teams see they're playing England, and adopt tactic that will stifle the football.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

With England qualifying in 2nd place, has that given them a harder draw than Wales and visa versa?
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

It depends how you look at it. Had they won the group, they'd have got another crap team who would simply park the bus. At least now there is the chance of playing a footballing nation such as Portugal. However, they could also end up with Iceland, Hungary or yet another crap team.

Points 51; Position 21
Zidane
Guru
Guru

Post by Zidane »

And if England successfully negotiate one of Portugal,Hungary,Iceland or Austria,its odds on they will be facing France in the quarter finals in Paris ! :(
We're all on our uppers,we're all going skint,
I used to suck fat cigars but now I suck Polo mints.
RODSTEWART
Novice
Novice

Post by RODSTEWART »

Is it mandatory for the players to gob all over the pitch?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Zidane wrote:And if England successfully negotiate one of Portugal,Hungary,Iceland or Austria,its odds on they will be facing France in the quarter finals in Paris ! :(
Brilliant, I hope it's Portugal followed by France.

Points 51; Position 21
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

WTF! :shock:

Italy completely outplayed by Ireland in the first half. Italy look shite. Very similar to England vs Russia (Ireland emulating England). It's the goals that count at the end of it though.

:cheers:
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

Well done Wales, Ireland, Northern Ireland, Switzerland, Hungary, Iceland and Croatia. If my wish would come true, one of these would be champs.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Beware of Iceland. They play like boys having fun, much like Leicester City did, and they're hungry as is their entire country. If their coach takes them out for pizza really look out! :D Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
JD
Legend
Legend

Post by JD »

Wales stand as good a chance as anyone from the top half of the draw to reach the final.

The bottom half of the draw includes the top five favourites, France, Spain, Germany, Italy & England. For Spain to reach the final again they have to beat Italy, (probably) Germany then France or maybe England.

My favourite match up would be a Wales Portugal Semifinal from the top half and an England Germany Semifinal from the bottom half.
Per Angusta In Augusta.
-----------------------------------------------
http://www.facebook.com/huahinhamandbacon
www.hamandbacon.co.th
barrys
Legend
Legend

Post by barrys »

JD wrote:Wales stand as good a chance as anyone from the top half of the draw to reach the final.

The bottom half of the draw includes the top five favourites, France, Spain, Germany, Italy & England. For Spain to reach the final again they have to beat Italy, (probably) Germany then France or maybe England.

My favourite match up would be a Wales Portugal Semifinal from the top half and an England Germany Semifinal from the bottom half.
Maybe that should read:

For Spain to reach the final again they have to beat Italy, (probably) Germany then France or possibly Ireland or maybe England :run:
JD
Legend
Legend

Post by JD »

barrys wrote:
JD wrote:Wales stand as good a chance as anyone from the top half of the draw to reach the final.

Maybe that should read:

For Spain to reach the final again they have to beat Italy, (probably) Germany then France or possibly Ireland or maybe England :run:
I would go for that also, I woke the house up last night when Ireland won, let's not forget that Shane Long plays for Southampton (my home team).

Some people don't understand my support structure. England first if we are playing against any of the British sides or Ireland, but against anyone else I always want the home nations and Ireland sides to win, my Father was Irish, so I always want them to win also.

If Ireland beat France I would be as happy as you, believe me.
Per Angusta In Augusta.
-----------------------------------------------
http://www.facebook.com/huahinhamandbacon
www.hamandbacon.co.th