The Recommended Movies Thread

Discussion, recommendations and reviews for music, movies, books and games. Creative arts, crafts and photography welcome.
pharvey

Re: The Recommended Movies Thread

Post by pharvey »

I really found this a cracking movie - a subject and person I'm certainly interested in and an incredible cast to boot. A subject that's not for all and has mixed reviews... It's worth a look.

Freud's Last Session

"On the eve of the Second World War, two of the greatest minds of the twentieth century, C.S. Lewis and Sigmund Freud converge for their own personal battle over the existence of God. The film interweaves the lives of Freud and Lewis, past, present, and through fantasy, bursting from the confines of Freud’s study on a dynamic journey."

[EDIT] https://yts.mx/movies/freuds-last-session-2023

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

pharvey wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:09 pm I really found this a cracking movie - a subject and person I'm certainly interested in and an incredible cast to boot. A subject that's not for all and has mixed reviews... It's worth a look.

Freud's Last Session

"On the eve of the Second World War, two of the greatest minds of the twentieth century, C.S. Lewis and Sigmund Freud converge for their own personal battle over the existence of God. The film interweaves the lives of Freud and Lewis, past, present, and through fantasy, bursting from the confines of Freud’s study on a dynamic journey."

[EDIT] https://yts.mx/movies/freuds-last-session-2023

You might like a book I browsed but didn't read cover to cover a while back: https://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/doi/10 ... .10.1797-a

"The Question of God: C.S. Lewis and Sigmund Freud Debate God, Love, Sex, and the Meaning of Life".

I can email it to you as an ebook if you use a Kindle or the like.
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

Ginjaninja wrote:Triangle of Sadness (2022)
Watched this last night. Hadn't heard of it before.
Absolute gem.
Woody Harrelson as an alcoholic luxury yacht captain. What can go wrong...?
Just for balance I thought it was poor and couldn't finish it

Incidentally the attractive lead female died shortly afterwards, quite a shock

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

pharvey

Post by pharvey »

404cameljockey wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 7:43 am You might like a book I browsed but didn't read cover to cover a while back: https://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/doi/10 ... .10.1797-a

"The Question of God: C.S. Lewis and Sigmund Freud Debate God, Love, Sex, and the Meaning of Life".

I can email it to you as an ebook if you use a Kindle or the like.
Sounds worth a look. Thanks for the offer, but when I replenish the latest batch of books etc., I'll download from one of the usual suspects. :thumb:
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

I've just watched Tumbledown, a 90-minute BBC film from 1988. It's based in and around the 1982 Falklands conflict. However, it's not a war film or an action movie, though it does have some flashback scenes. Its real focus is the recovery of a Guards officer (played by a young Colin Firth) who was shot in the head and left paralysed. It's all pretty matter of fact, and there are no glorious heroes.
The film centres on the experiences of Robert Lawrence MC (played by Colin Firth), an officer of the Scots Guards during the Falklands War of 1982.[3] While fighting at the Battle of Mount Tumbledown, Lawrence is shot in the head by an Argentine sniper, and left paralysed on his left side.[4] He then must learn to adjust to his new disability.

The film sparked enormous controversy when first broadcast in 1988, in part because it conveyed the flat indifference shown by government, society and public to the returning wounded from the Falklands War; this content forms much of the story,[7] as Lawrence struggles to come to terms with his terrible injuries, and to face a life in which he cannot do the thing he is trained to do, the thing he loves: soldiering.

The film also triggered controversy by presenting an unvarnished portrait of the protagonist: for example, his joy in the brutalities of war and a flashback scene toward the end which shows him exulting at the top of Mount Tumbledown.[8] The film portrays Lawrence's love of the military life as much as it portrays his feelings of abandonment and bitterness as he tries to cope with his wounds, with little help from the government that sent him into battle.[9]

Lead actor Colin Firth is reported to have said that the political left and right hated the film because it did not conform to any fixed ideology.
I watched it on Youtube, but it's available for download from Pirate Bay. https://thepiratebay10.org/search/tumbledown/1/99/0
This is the way
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

THE BURIAL(2023)

Really good courtroom drama starring Tommy Lee Jones and Jamie Foxx. 8.5/10

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

For anyone who loves Haruki Murakami's stories and novels the 2021 Japanese film Drive My Car is beautiful and moving. It's three hours' long with a lot of Chekov in it, so it's not for everyone. A superb adaptation of Murakami's short story.

"A widowed actor bonds with his chauffeur in Ryûsuke Hamaguchi’s beguiling film exploring the creative process, jealousy and guilt" (The Guardian)
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

pharvey wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 6:35 pm
Lost wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 5:50 pm
pharvey wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 2:23 am
"The Beekeeper" is just out on the Big Screen and hopefully out soon on the likes of YTS and the like...

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt15314262/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

On the shelves now, good reviews. :D

https://yts.mx/movies/the-beekeeper-2024

:cheers:
Oh, you are a Leg-end.. sorry Legend!! :wink: Seriously blue, thanks for that!! Now then, as my Yorkshire side of the family would say...... Keep your eyes out for "Argylle" - looks fun, but well... Could be crap!!

Argylle coming through now, Pete. 720 almost done.

I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Post by Ginjaninja »

Love Sam Rockwell...
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Lost wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:04 pm Argylle coming through now, Pete. 720 almost done.

Cheers blue - now, the question is do I wait for the 1080 version.... :D :thumb:
Ginjaninja wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:54 pm Love Sam Rockwell...
Indeed. He's been in some crackers, "Moon" from a few years back comes to mind!

Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Post by Ginjaninja »

Recently watched Matchstick Men (2003) with Rockwell & Nic Cage.
Worth a view if you haven't seen it.
GN.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

pharvey wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 5:07 pm
Ginjaninja wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:54 pm Love Sam Rockwell...
Indeed. He's been in some crackers, "Moon" from a few years back comes to mind!

Oooo yes, Moon is a belter!
This is the way
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Ginjaninja wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 6:56 pm Recently watched Matchstick Men (2003) with Rockwell & Nic Cage.
GN.
Good reviews and I wanted to like it. I gave it 30 minutes, but I'm afraid I found it profoundly irritating.
This is the way
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

dtaai-maai wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 3:03 am
Ginjaninja wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 6:56 pm Recently watched Matchstick Men (2003) with Rockwell & Nic Cage.
GN.
Good reviews and I wanted to like it. I gave it 30 minutes, but I'm afraid I found it profoundly irritating.
Have to be honest, I watched it years back but felt pretty much the same - I did manage the full movie though!! :thumb:
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

Argylle just dropped on YTS

When the plots of reclusive author Elly Conway's fictional espionage novels begin to mirror the covert actions of a real-life spy organization, quiet evenings at home become a thing of the past. Accompanied by her cat Alfie and Aiden, a cat-allergic spy, Elly races across the world to stay one step ahead of the killers as the line between Conway's fictional world and her real one begins to blur.

https://yts.mx/movies/argylle-2024

Been waiting a while for this one although it has had mixed reviews. :cheers:
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.