Trying to find somewhere decent to rent isnt easy.

Ask here about the pleasures and pitfalls of buying, selling or renting property and real estate in Hua Hin. Building, design and construction topics welcome. Commercial or promotional posts for real estate companies or private properties are forbidden.
buksida

Trying to find somewhere decent to rent isnt easy.

Post by buksida »

I have lived in HH for over 5 years now and have constantly been moving houses for some reason or other. The current one I'm in is fine, nice neighbourhood, well priced however the owner wants to sell it so I'm hitting the road again.

I never expected it to be so damn difficult to find somewhere decent, fairly priced, and with no pressures to pack your bags again in a hurry. Maybe I'm just fussy but the places I've looked at so far are either:

a) In a narrow soi with more dogs than disney, screaming teenagers on two-strokes and enough kids to open a school.

b) So sparse that you'd need to purchase an entire Ikea franchise to make living there comfortable.

c) So expensive that you'd think you were renting a four bedroom ocean view mansion complete with pool and playboy hunnies. Not a 2 bedroom dingy townhouse in the Hua Hin backwater suburbs.

d) Four hundred kilometers away from the nearest civilisation ... or shop that sells beer.

e) The perfect place in all aspects but the owner wants half the value of the house as a deposit and a years rent up front.

f) No telephone line so I cant even work to earn the cash to pay the rent.

Just what is it with Thai people and renting houses? "You are Farangs, you must have at least 120,000 baht as loose change in your pocket, give it to me for the privilege of renting my shed."

If anyone can help I'd be most grateful ... or am I asking too much !?

And that concludes the rant of the day.

:cuss:
Pagey
Legend
Legend

House Rental

Post by Pagey »

On my last visit in June I walked down the 2 Soi's that form a U at the bottom of the Soi where the Grand Hotel is and there were approx 10 2 bed town houses for rent at 10,000 a month. I haggled and got one for 8,000. I thought this was reasonable ? I have paid 6 months upfront and will be living there for a few weeks in October and again in December. The Soi's were quiet and were recommended to me by another expat.
ATAdmin

Try...

Post by ATAdmin »

Hey Buksida!

Yeah it can indeed be rough. I referred to my last landlord as 'kwai' as the freaking buffalo was an idiot. Then when I left he kept 2,000 THB for electricity (which averaged 800) and water, (about 40 a month). Kwai indeed. :guns:

Try Soi 41 (I think that's it) they have a few new places and few townhome or detached houses there I *think* in the 8-10 range that seemed nice... Either that or find another place at Mooban Golfview...

If it is any consolation; my new place here in Hong Kong with 1 month paid in advance two months deposit, and half month commission for the 'agent' will run me about 130,000 THB...

Good luck!

TJ -
ATAdmin (TWJ)
http://www.atimes.com, http://www.thestandard.com.hk
buksida

Buffaloes

Post by buksida »

Found a nice house in Golf View price was a little expensive (the house was worth around seven, owner wanted nine). Thought okay, I'll go with 8 and offer her a years contract, heres the response:

"No discount, many farang come soon, I get nine no problem"

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

So she'd rather have a tourist in there for 3 months at 9,000 than me for 12 months at 8,000.

Its still empty.
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

How typical :roll:
buksida

Post by buksida »

Heres an update on the rental situation as I have now finally moved.

The first place I looked at was actually rented by a work colleage who was leaving to work in China. Great little house, nice location, stunning gardens at the end of Naebkehardt road, rent was 9,000 per month. First problem was the house came with its own squad of Thai cleaners, gardeners, drivers and general layabouts. Explaining that I didnt want a posse of strangers in my house fell on deaf ears. It turns out that when my colleage left the owner refused to return her 20,000 baht deposit and the posse stole all her furniture and plants. As far as I know its still empty.

Second place was in a similar location, a little small but cosy enough. I met with the owners and had agreed on paying the same as the previous tennant at 8,000 per month. A week later I offer to pay six months up front tin exchange for a few extras in the house. Their response was "well if the farang has that much money we'll put the rent up". Adios. Its still empty, and the previous tennant also lost her deposit.

Finally found and agreed on somewhere along the canal road, nice 3 bedroom place, parking, spacious, partly furnished at an agreeable price. I didn't get my deposit back on the old place as the owner said "I had to spend money on house maintenance". Which would be fine if she'd have bothered maintaining the house for the two years that I lived there with broken water pumps, termites, and structural damage. Now I'm sure this is the owners duty and not the tennants.

Anyway, I'm good for six months unless some dickweed decides he wants to buy this house and the owner turfs me out.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

I've actually heard someone getting the guarantee money back, but can't remember who or when that was. I had this problem in the last place I was in Bangkok. As it was business and I wanted to sell it, I had no option but to leave it. The owner gave me a choice either he returns me the money (100.000) thousand and finds the new lessee himself or I can find the next lessee (and so I can sell everything in it) and he keeps the 100K. I had to opt for the first one as that did at least bring me more money.
However, I never had the problem in apartments in Bangers.
hogus
Professional
Professional

Post by hogus »

Hi Buksadi,

in the Soi 96/1 (not Soi 96) are some new-built townhouses, one- or two storied.
A friend of mine rent a small house for 2500 Baht, of course, without any furniture!!!
The bigger townhouses you can rent about 4000 Baht, but it'll take some months till they're ready for occupation.
May be its worth to take a look!

By the way, I never ever would pay a landlord more than 5000 Baht for a normal townhouse without furniture.
Now I live for nearly 6 years near the Grand Hotel, and observe with fascination how some Farangs pay for the one and same townhouse between 4000 Baht and 10,000 baht/month.

Long live the free market economy! :twisted:
Guess
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Guess »

No dogs, no two strokes, no children, zero rent, central location. try the Bangkok Hilton.
[color=blue][size=134]Care in the community success story.[/size][/color]
buksida

Post by buksida »

hogus wrote: By the way, I never ever would pay a landlord more than 5000 Baht for a normal townhouse without furniture.
This is about right, the last place I had was 5,000 for three bedrooms, a/c and furnished. I thought it was a good deal so don't really mind losing the deposit ( besides, I took the fridge which I thought covered it :mrgreen: ).

Place I have now is twice the size and part furnished for 8,000 again after looking around for several months and dealing with these landlord tossers I'm happy with it ... for now :roll:
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
layman
Amateur
Amateur

Post by layman »

Pity I didn't start reading HHAD a bit earlier. I have a 2 bed furnished townhouse about 1 km up towards the lookout beauty spot from the main railway crossing. It's in a quiet soi off the main road with quite a few Farang/Thai couples as neighbours. I've had it nearly a year and just used it for putting up travelling friends from UK and NZ. All have enjoyed staying there, but I now think it could be time to start renting it. So, Buksida, if all goes pear-shaped (perish the thought) in your new place, get in touch. I'd be looking at around 10,000 a month.
There is a crack in everything
It's how the light gets in.
-L. Cohen
buksida

Post by buksida »

layman wrote:So, Buksida, if all goes pear-shaped (perish the thought) in your new place, get in touch. I'd be looking at around 10,000 a month.
Thanks for the offer but that price sounds a little steep. I have already found a 3 bedroom place for 8,000.
layman
Amateur
Amateur

Post by layman »

OK, no problem. Still feeling out the prices, but I think what I'm asking is fair. It's a nice airy house, well built, in a good position. Hope you have better luck this time.
There is a crack in everything
It's how the light gets in.
-L. Cohen
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Depends on your budget and length of stay.

I'm in a quiet soi up Naebkehard (Soi 10) and there is plenty to rent, but I do stress QUIET. That is key if you are to fit in with the local residents

It's has mostly middle class Thai neighbours, few dogs, 2 minutes from the beach, plenty of walkable eating places and small corner shops

I've been here 4 years and recently had a rent increase from 7000 to 10000 but I'm lucky as my landlady lives next door and takes care of everything instantly. Even got me a landline and broadband within 24 hours

My understanding from the Thai residents here is that rental here is negoitiable

Give it a look! Nothing ventured nothing gained
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
johnrxx99

Post by johnrxx99 »

Richard - glad you've posted as so much appears to be geared to buying (v. dodgy) rather than renting. Ideally I'm looking for an older property away from the new developments and on the outskirts/centre of town buy only 6 months initially. Range 10 - 15k.

Do you have any contacts or is it best to just arrive first? I'd like to put some feelers out beforehand though if there are some realistic agents/landlords.

All the best
Thai me to the moon