Managerial merry-go-round

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
Don East Stand
Professional
Professional

Managerial merry-go-round

Post by Don East Stand »

A busy day for football managers everywhere.

Alex McLeish resigned as Scotland manager, I never liked him anyway, he wisnae much good :wink:

St Johnstone appointed Derek McInnes as their new manager and I'm sure he will lead us onto great things :mrgreen:

I also noticed an old St Johnstone reject Paul Sturrock has been appointed manager of Plymouth again. I can't imagine that anyone on here will be that bothered. :roll:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

:lach:
Don East Stand wrote:
I also noticed an old St Johnstone reject Paul Sturrock has been appointed manager of Plymouth again. I can't imagine that anyone on here will be that bothered. :roll:
I wonder where you got that idea from :shock:

I presume you are just joking when you say St Johnstone reject, however, I must admit that I'm quite oblivious to his record in Scotland. I have quite a few Scottish mates who do speak quite highly of him, but they've never actually mentioned his achievements.

In the eyes of the Green Army, the man is a footballing genius - 2 league titles in his time with us. He then went on to take Sheffield Wednesday from the 1st Division to the Championship and Swindon Town from the 2nd to the the 1st Division.

I just hope that he doesn't take Plymouth in to the Premiership. Yes it would be nice, but I've seen so many clubs fail, and end up in financial grief.

The other possibility with him still owning property in Plymouth is that he's come back under pressure from his wife - to retire. I hope not.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Condoking
Professional
Professional

Re: Managerial merry-go-round

Post by Condoking »

Don East Stand wrote:Alex McLeish resigned as Scotland manager, I never liked him anyway, he wisnae much good :wink:
Seems he's gone to Birmingham so his career seems to be in the ascendancy. 11 months in charge of Scotland then a move to a team in the lower echelons of the premier league, should have waited and may be got Benitez's job
"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and then again I just sits" Punch 24th Oct 1906
redzonerocker
Rock Star
Rock Star

merry go round

Post by redzonerocker »

it certainly has been a busy day.
can't say i blame the managers for moving into more lucrative jobs these days.
why should they show loyalty to clubs when so many of the chairmen don't?, & the players for that matter.
billy davies got fired yesterday, not so much for footballing reasons but for criticising the board once to often.ok, so they are bottom of the league, but he only spoke the truth, if they don't spend big, they'll go straight back down. you can't expect to compete in the prem with a championship side :cry:
anyway, i'm sure he's choked up whilst he's counting his £750,000 pay off :D .
the latest is, he's apparently interested in the scotland job 8)

over to you scottish boys, billy davies ????
Remember, no one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

Condoking wrote:should have waited and may be got Benitez's job
The southern based press really dont like it when Liverpool get a strong side together and are playing well do they.

Benitez wont be going anywhere unless the yanks really want to alienate themselves from the supporters.
Don East Stand
Professional
Professional

Post by Don East Stand »

Big Boy wrote

I presume you are just joking when you say St Johnstone reject, however, I must admit that I'm quite oblivious to his record in Scotland. I have quite a few Scottish mates who do speak quite highly of him, but they've never actually mentioned his achievements.

No joke BB, Paul Sturrock was an opponent of mine back in our junior football days. Paul was invited for a trial with St Johnstone, however he was an extremely scruffy individual and turned out with dirty boots, socks round his ankles (the good old days before this shinguard nonsense :wink: ) and his shirt outside his shorts.

He was deemed unsuitable for Saints :roll: and so signed for Dundee Utd his only senior club. A great player who went onto play for Scotland.

When he finished playing he became a coach with Utd. After a few years Saints gave him his first opportunity in football management and he gradually did a very good job for us.

Unfortunately, his first love Utd came calling and he was off faster than a speeding bullet :guns: hence his current nickname, "Judas"

It didn't work out at Utd and he eventually disappeared to some small club down in England :mrgreen:

:cheers: :cheers:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Don East Stand wrote:
It didn't work out at Utd and he eventually disappeared to some small club down in England
So there is a God, looking after his own team in God's own country. Long may it last.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Condoking
Professional
Professional

Post by Condoking »

Benitez wont be going anywhere unless the yanks really want to alienate themselves from the supporters.[/quote]

Couldn't agree more, main problem with the Yanks is that they do not like anyone standing up to them and telling them they are wrong. Also depends whether the fans or their pockets take priority, my guess is the fans will come a distant second.
redzonerocker
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by redzonerocker »

Condoking wrote:Benitez wont be going anywhere unless the yanks really want to alienate themselves from the supporters.

condoking replied;
Couldn't agree more, main problem with the Yanks is that they do not like anyone standing up to them and telling them they are wrong. Also depends whether the fans or their pockets take priority, my guess is the fans will come a distant second.
the first test of that theory starts tonight in the champions league.
its a must win game for liverpool.
financially it would be a big blow to exit at the first group stage.
football wise, you would have expected them to go through their group without to much trouble. i still think they will qualify.
personally, i can't see what benitez has to moan about, he has one of the biggest & best squads in europe.
maybe to much tinkering at times??
Condoking
Professional
Professional

Post by Condoking »

1 each at half time puts Mr Benitez under the cosh.
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

Condoking wrote:1 each at half time puts Mr Benitez under the cosh.
All too easy. :thumb:
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

redzonerocker wrote:i can't see what benitez has to moan about, he has one of the biggest & best squads in europe.
He's not even demanding big money to improve the squad, he just wanted the go ahead to put deals in place for Khaka Kaladze for 4m and 2 free transfers from south America before other clubs move for them.

Considering Liverpool blatantly need back up in defence its not alot to ask.
redzonerocker
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by redzonerocker »

BaaBaa. wrote:
redzonerocker wrote:i can't see what benitez has to moan about, he has one of the biggest & best squads in europe.

maybe he shouldnt have spent so much money on midfielders & forwards then :idea:
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

redzonerocker wrote:
BaaBaa. wrote:

maybe he shouldnt have spent so much money on midfielders & forwards then :idea:
Maybe we needed them too. :idea:

Also unlike what the press like to make out, if you knock off what came in from sales Benitez only spent about £18 million so the Yanks have spent F all.

Besides we got Fernando Torres! :thumb:
redzonerocker
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by redzonerocker »

BaaBaa. wrote:
Maybe we needed them too. :idea:

Also unlike what the press like to make out, if you knock off what came in from sales Benitez only spent about £18 million so the Yanks have spent F all.

Besides we got Fernando Torres! :thumb:
benitez has made 39 signings & sold 36 players (7 of which he signed himself!)
revolving door on the players entrance?? :D
my point is, surely by now he should have a more settled side? & be a little more consistent?
forget all the excuses, this year, the title should (& could) be within your grasp! that has to be the ultimate goal for any top club, only time will tell :)

as for torres, he would grace any side :thumb: