Bangkok bus station for Hua Hin

Bangkok and beyond, travel talk on all other places in Thailand and Southeast Asia.
SPONSORS: Bang Saphan Guide
parbeau

Bangkok bus station for Hua Hin

Post by parbeau »

Coming to HH Dec 30 and I heard someone say that the buses (for 160 B) no longer leaves BKK from Southern Bus Terminal! Any truth in this? Does anyone know?
:P
Wanderlust
Legend
Legend

Post by Wanderlust »

I haven't used the bus to/from Bangkok in a long time, but I know the plan was to move the southern bus station from it's original site in Pinklau to another site further out of the city, I believe somewhere along the outer ring road on the western side. However I don't know if this has already happened or if not, when it will. However there will be a bus running from one of the locations to Hua Hin, but no doubt if it is from the new station the price will go up at the same time.
Wanderlust
Legend
Legend

Post by Wanderlust »

I've just done some searching on the internet, and apparently the new southern bus terminal in Bangkok was due to open on 1st November 2007, and it is located not far from the old one on the same road, just near the junction with the outer ring road. There is a map here in Thai (but if you know where the old bus station is then you can work it out) and some lovely photos of it here, and very impressive it looks too, except that all the destination signs are in Thai only! However I am sure that will be rectified with some hand written stuck on signs before too long... :D
P.S. For all of you readers that are into that sort of thing the photos include some of the sparkling clean toilets...
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Re: Bangkok bus station for Hua Hin

Post by Nereus »

parbeau wrote:Coming to HH Dec 30 and I heard someone say that the buses (for 160 B) no longer leaves BKK from Southern Bus Terminal! Any truth in this? Does anyone know?
:P
They have built a new bus station, Sai Tai Mai, about 5 or 6 kms away from the "old" one, in Phuttamonthon Sai 1. As TIT, the opening has been put off several times. The latest date is the 3rd of December 07.
The same bus old bus number (556) will get you there from the new airport, or 515 and 549, from the city. Google it for more info.

http://www.pantip.com/cafe/blueplanet/t ... 47308.html
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

You beat me to it WL. I tried to post earlier but have a p---p--- connection this morning. :cheers:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

WL wrote:
P.S. For all of you readers that are into that sort of thing the photos include some of the sparkling clean toilets...
The toilets shown in the picture are a quantum leap in standards compared with the old facility! Actually the whole place looks a vast improvement.
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

Have been past the new station and it looks great.

Not far at all from the old Sai Tai.
chelsea
Ace
Ace

Post by chelsea »

Parbeau, if you are coming at that time of year, do not even think about using the bus. Especially if you have wife/gf and/or kids with you. The bus station might be nice and new, but up to last year the Blue/White buses certainly were not.

My one and only time of using them was 2 years ago, happend at 10.00am with the temp at 38°c.

We got on the bus and then see they have only vinyl seats, once it started on the journey the A/C was just not working, and other than the uncomfortable seats and stinking hot air in the bus, I had to endure 3hrs plus of my gf moaning that it was to hot and how far was there to go.

Also they did have a bog on the bus but if you were lucky enough to be using it when the bus was on unven ground or go round a corner the door flew open (not a pretty sight I can tell you)

My advice is to pre book a taxi to meet your at the airport and have a 2.5-3hr drive in a fully A/C Car and arrive in comfort.
I organised door to door pick up and drop down by a local taxi firm in HH for the return trip, and is my now prefered mode of transport to and from the airport.

Always use the same guy and his prices are some of the most resonable around town. The drivers are always smartly dressed and well mannered, and more importantly on time. Also the cars are all fairly new (2-4 years old).

Now I might just add one more thing, it was my GF's idea to get the bus to save money, something that I constantly reminded of all through the holiday.

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Always Borrow Money from a Pesimist. "They Never Expect it Back"
johnnyk
Legend
Legend

Post by johnnyk »

Sounds like goodnews, I have used the old southern terminal only 4 times but thought I was in Bangladesh or Zaire each time, chaos.
chelsea
Ace
Ace

Post by chelsea »

JohhnyK the old s tation I likened to a Wild West Staging Post with the only difference being Blue/White Buses instead of Horse and Carts :P
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Always Borrow Money from a Pesimist. "They Never Expect it Back"
Luxrebel
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Luxrebel »

I only used this service once but the bus was fine. I prefer to get to Hua Hin as quick as possible when I arrive so I always use a taxi now.
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

Luxrebel wrote:I only used this service once but the bus was fine. I prefer to get to Hua Hin as quick as possible when I arrive so I always use a taxi now.
I dont mind the Buses at all either.