Manager Mourinho leaves Chelsea

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

A strange fact was quoted on this morning's Sky News ............ apparently this will be the 3rd Chelski manager in a row to face Manure as their 1st opponents.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Burger
Ace
Ace

Post by Burger »

Guess wrote:
I have noticed that too. I am another of the originals and grew up in the same are as you but a couple of years earlier.

At the time the choice was Brentford, QPR, Chelsea and Fulham. Brentford were a dedicated fourth division side but the first ground I went to with my dad.
I know you are Guess, we've a chat about Chelsea before.

Re: Brentford, my local club, we used to get the bus there as kids, 7 or 8, old fourth division, then they got promoted to 3rd, it was just pure fun, 10,000 fans on the picth, no big money, no big players with ego's etc.

It was the only ground/one of the only grounds ?? where you would change ends at half time, by walking through a tunnel under the New Road side, to the 'away' end, where the away fans were sectioned off.
Mad idea now when you think about it.

Also I believe the only ground in the country with a pub on each corner, unless someone corrects me.

Super Bees :cheers:

Burger
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Actually, at the old Stamford Bridge you could walk from one end to the other, behind the old Leitch designed East Stand. In the days of 30k regular crowds a lot would do that to see Chelsea attack both ends. The Bridge could easily accommodate that. It was stopped when crowd trouble started.

I drive past Brentfords ground every day and I think the 4 pub thing still applies. Certainly true of the Ealing Road with the New Inn being one, can't think of the other.
Talk is cheap
Burger
Ace
Ace

Post by Burger »

Caller wrote:
Actually, at the old Stamford Bridge you could walk from one end to the other, behind the old Leitch designed East Stand. In the days of 30k regular crowds a lot would do that to see Chelsea attack both ends. The Bridge could easily accommodate that. It was stopped when crowd trouble started.

Christ that must have been a while back Caller, pre-1970's ?? How old are you by the way ??
I've been to Chelsea v QPR with some QPR mates (must've been early 80's ?), when several hundred Chelsea 'fans' didn't exactly change ends during the game but were in the away end already, not pleasant.
I drive past Brentfords ground every day and I think the 4 pub thing still applies. Certainly true of the Ealing Road with the New Inn being one, can't think of the other.
New Inn, Royal Oak (old home end), can't remember the others, never went in them, we were only 8 though!!

Burger
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Burger wrote:
I've been to Chelsea v QPR with some QPR mates (must've been early 80's ?), when several hundred Chelsea 'fans' didn't exactly change ends during the game but were in the away end already, not pleasant.
Had a similar experience a couple of times when Plymouth played there as well. On one occassion, the animals attacked a bloke walking back with a tray of hot drinks, and his daughter by his side. They were so brave - the guy had his hands full (and never had the sense to put the hot drinks in their faces). The poor guy ended up with blood everywhere, and his poor young daughter screaming.

What a wonderful place, and fantastic hospitality :? Its good to see so many of you have such nice memories.

The best memory I had was Paul Mariner getting 2 second half goals to shut the animals up.

Points 48; Position 20
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I'm now remembering Jaime's words of a few months ago..."Rugby is watched by gentlemen and played by thugs, football is watched by thugs and played by gentlemen..." ?? :shock: Pete
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

That's right Pete, Chelski have bred more than their share of thugs.

I used to travel throughout Europe watching England play. However, the thug element from Chelski made it very uncomfortable.

On one occassion (the last) a friend of mine went complete with a hunting horn (just to make a bit more noise). The Chelski thugs gave him 2 choices - hit one of the locals over the head with it, or suffer a worse fate himself. My friend hit the local (not with enough force to cause any damage), and the Chelski thugs rewarded him with a horn broken in half.

I don't know if that element of Chelski thuggery still exists, but it was very unpleasant at the time.

Points 48; Position 20
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

I think things have moved on. I used to have nights out in Putney when I was younger and it was a pain when Cardiff or Bristol fans were playing Fulham, they caused mayhem. I've been chased down the Fulham Rd when Tottenham fans went on the rampage and many visiting fans tried to "take" the Shed - West Ham particularly. I've seen Leeds fans half wreck the bridge and so on.

That was what, all 20+ years ago? Now so many women and kids go, its more like how it was when I was a kid, apart from the prices and all seater stadia.
Talk is cheap