HH-Kanchanaburi-Tiger Temple (1-2 days)

Bangkok and beyond, travel talk on all other places in Thailand and Southeast Asia.
SPONSORS: Bang Saphan Guide
bjarne
Rookie
Rookie

HH-Kanchanaburi-Tiger Temple (1-2 days)

Post by bjarne »

Grateful for any tips on HH Travel agents arranging such tours.
DawnHRD
Legend
Legend

Post by DawnHRD »

If you are considering going there because you are an animal lover, please read this report before you make any plans.

http://friskodude.blogspot.com/2007/09/ ... eport.html

I've never been there, but I would consider any methods used to make a predatory animal like a tiger docile towards all humans (esp noisy ones with cameras) highly suspect. Again, my own personal opinions, not those of HHAD, or any other mods or admin.
"The question is not, can they reason? Nor, can they talk? But, can they suffer?" - Jeremy Bentham, philosopher, 1748-1832

Make a dog's life better, today!
redzonerocker
Rock Star
Rock Star

tiger

Post by redzonerocker »

i was thinking of a trip there too on my next visit.
thanks for highlighting that report dawn, being an animal lover i shall give it a miss now.
the 'brave' people i have met that have had their photo's taken with these 'wild' tigers just don't seem so brave anymore :?
Remember, no one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
bjarne
Rookie
Rookie

Post by bjarne »

Thank you !
Yes, I am an animal lover with 20 years' ownership of wonderful four legged friends.
After having read the report, I definitely have to go there to see for myself, and being in the travel business, I will have good opportunities to spread the word around professional communities.
I guess I've been blinded by Animal Planet promotion and the temple's own homepage.
Seeing is believing, and thank you again for your concern for our animal friends.
Kraka's Dad
Guru
Guru

Post by Kraka's Dad »

What a terrible way to treat these magnificant animals. Nothing deserves to be treated like that!!
I will never go there and try and hope others boycott the place too.
Last edited by Kraka's Dad on Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

Kraka's Dad wrote:I will never go there and try and hope others boybott the place too.
Thats a tad harsh.

Kraka's Dad
Guru
Guru

Post by Kraka's Dad »

BaaBaa. wrote:
Kraka's Dad wrote:I will never go there and try and hope others boybott the place too.
Thats a tad harsh.

Why is it harsh as they treat the animals in such an appalling way?
Have you read the article from Dawn's link?
The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

I have, but a Boybott???
Kraka's Dad
Guru
Guru

Post by Kraka's Dad »

BaaBaa. wrote:I have, but a Boybott???
LOL :lach: I was wondering if you meant that and have edited it !! :thumb:
Well you never know a boybott could just get them to change their ways !! :)

:cheers:
bjarne
Rookie
Rookie

Post by bjarne »

Kraka's Dad wrote:
BaaBaa. wrote:I have, but a Boybott???
LOL :lach: I was wondering if you meant that and have edited it !! :thumb:
Well you never know a boybott could just get them to change their ways !! :)

:cheers:
All of you react out of an article you have just read.
Go there for yourselves and make up your own mind about the place. If it is as horrendous as described, then report it to Thai or Kanchanaburi Tourist Authorities. The last thing they want is a bad reputation.

Don't cry wolf (tiger!?) before you know.
Kraka's Dad
Guru
Guru

Post by Kraka's Dad »

I would rather not go and see if the conditions are as awful as described.
Do you honestly think the authorities would do anything especially as it is run by monks?

As you are intent on still going there how about you giving your opinion on here afterwards??
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Purposely, I've only been to two zoos in Thailand in my life. One is the Dusit zoo in Bangkok and the other the one where the longtail boats stop on the Thonburi side of the Chao Praya. That is a mandatory stop even if you try to bribe the driver not to stop, they get commission and there is a pecking order. Not stopping puts them far back in the order of things. I love to do that trip when friends visit Thailand, especially for the first time. I strongly wish I can find a way next time not to stop at that place. :(

The place is deplorable and has been for several decades. You want to see abused animals/birds in small cages, go there. The odd thing is that the zoo staff smile, greet you and seem extremely happy that you are there. I've also seen farangs almost spit at the same staff upon exit back to the boats. The staff still smiles. That zoo knows exactly what's it's doing, collecting as much money as they can with no concern for the animal's well being at all, not one iota.

The Dusit zoo has seen better days. Years back it was more open and natural. Now it resembles a typical urban zoo with funding problems. They need a lot of help to bring it up to a standard that is more kind to the inmates in my opinion.

I have heard that the Chiang Mai night safari and the Siracha open tiger zoo are more natural and pleasant. I can't comment as doubt I'll ever risk being disappointed again. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
DawnHRD
Legend
Legend

Post by DawnHRD »

bjarne,

If you do go, try to get access to areas other than where tourists are usually allowed. I have another derogatory report about the place, but I'm not sure I can publish it on here. I'll ask. If I can't, I'll pm you the link. I don't believe you'll see the cages or anything too awful unless you go looking for it in places tourists are not usually allowed, I'm afraid. :(

Edit - BTW, KD is correct. It is highly unlikely that local authorities would condemn or go against the monks, particularly when the venture is bringing money into the area.
"The question is not, can they reason? Nor, can they talk? But, can they suffer?" - Jeremy Bentham, philosopher, 1748-1832

Make a dog's life better, today!
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

prcscct wrote: I have heard that the Chiang Mai night safari and the Siracha open tiger zoo are more natural and pleasant. I can't comment as doubt I'll ever risk being disappointed again. Pete :cheers:
I visited Chiang Mai Zoo last year and its a pleasent enough Zoo.

The condition of the Animals looked in line with other Zoos Ive visited in the west,Chester and San Diego.
Norseman
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Norseman »

I've been in this wat and seen the mentioned animals, but perhaps this guy friskodude saw something else than me.
I saw munks with a great passion of love for their tigers, they treated them with respect and I did not find the place as negative as this dude from San Fransisco.
These tigers are not 100% wild tigers, but are kept as pets for some period of time while they are just small cubs.
When they grow bigger and are more dangerous to people, they are handed over to the munks so that they can take care of them.
The former stupid tiger owners get rid of their animal problem this way.
All animals are cute when they are small, but who cares when they grow bigger?
I saw munks with a great passion for the tigers and treated them with respect and love.
I intend to live forever - so far so good.